cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
College info #110994 02/09/08 10:40 AM
Roland Babineau Offline OP
OP Offline
Hoping someone can help me here.
My nephew, whom Karen and I are raising, is a senior in high school at the moment. He is very interested in attending Ohio Technical College's PSI, (Power Sports Institute), in Cleveland, which teaches repair of motor bikes, snowmobiles, jet skis, etc.
We just met with a recruiter last night and have agreed to visit the school. It sounds like a good school, but then again, ALL recruiters make their school sound good. Is anyone familiar with the school and its' reputation? This one is new to me and I'd like to learn as much as I can about it from other sources outside the school.
Thaks greatly to anyone who can tell me anything about the school, and/or the area, (I know a number of you are relatively close by). frown

Roland Babineau, Editor
Lighthouse Encyclopedia
http://www.thecapecodstore.com/lighthouse_encyclopedia
Re: College info #110995 02/09/08 11:30 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Roland, I know nothing of the school you're talking about. Isn't there anything closer with a similar curriculum?

Many of my friends have sent their kids to schools far away from home. It's a great experience for both the kids and the parents.

There is one downfall I've made note of when the kids are educated far away from home. They usually develop bonds with the kids they go to school with, and then they remain in that general vicinity after graduation.

Maybe some parents consider that all part of growing up. I'm much more of a home-body and I throughly enjoy have my two sons, their wives, and my four grandkids closeby. Plus we are more readily available to help them if needed.

That's only my personal opinion, and best of luck helping out your nephew continue his education.

keyboard Bob

Re: College info #110996 02/09/08 07:11 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Well I'd guess some of these schools are quite specialized and it's sometimes necessary to go quite a distance from home to attend. For instance, my neighbor's son is going to The Landing School in Kennebunkport, ME to learn boat building. His entire first year is spent building a boat in a group of 7. It's a 2 year program. They only have about 60 in the whole school and they are all ages, male and female. Some of the students are from abroad. I'd guess that the school Roland's nephew wants to attend might be a similar type situation?

You're right Bob about what sometimes happens when kids go away to school, especially for an extended time. When my daughter left for BU all these many years ago Boston became her "home" and home became a place she just visits...

Re: College info #110997 02/10/08 01:25 PM
Roland Babineau Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks to both of you for that input, but I'm looking for more specifics on the school and the area, if anyone can help me out.

Roland Babineau, Editor
Lighthouse Encyclopedia
http://www.thecapecodstore.com/lighthouse_encyclopedia

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (DANIEL, Rock), 1,573 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users