Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Thoughts & Prayers Needed For Barbara Hupp #110082 12/27/04 04:46 PM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
I've been asked to post this by Henry Hupp.

Barbara Hupp (ladylightkeeper on the Forums) who for a long time was very active on the Collectors Forums (for example the Wacko Pin was originally her idea and she ran it very well for the first 4 years and acted as our Advisor for the fifth year). She has not been active as much as of late due to many reasons including difficullty with reading the screen of her computer.

She (along with Henry and others) helped form NELL and they were very active members up until her health started failing. She has been a great friend to lighthouses over the years and contributed much to the Forums over the years.

She is presently in the hospital in NH. She was getting ready to leave for Mississippi for the winter and fell very ill.

Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers. Here is her address if you wish to send a card to her.

Ms Barbara Hupp
4 F Pine Isle Drive
Derry, NH 03038

I'll be printing out any thoughts that anyone places here and sending them along to her as Henry hasn't the time to go online often right now.

Thanks,

Dennis

Re: Thoughts & Prayers Needed For Barbara Hupp #110083 12/27/04 05:50 PM
MrsTLC Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I'm so sorry that Barb is not doing well. She will be in my prayers. Although I have never met her in person, I feel that we have become friends on the forums. She is truly a good person and is untiring in her quest to help lighthouses in need. It was extremely difficult for her to step down from the Wacko pin project that meant so much to her. Thanks to her advise though, we were able to get the pin project finished. Barb, you are in my thoughts and prayers and I wish you a speedy recovery. You are missed. Love & hugs to you & Henry.

Ruthie
"Where words fail, Music speaks"
Re: Thoughts & Prayers Needed For Barbara Hupp #110084 12/28/04 12:30 AM
W
WisKeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
W
Barb - Sorry to hear you are in the hospital! I hope they can figure out what is wrong this time. I know the medical problems you have had. Best Wishes for a speedy recovery!

Suzanne Murphy
President, Wisconsin Lighthouse District (WILD)
Re: Thoughts & Prayers Needed For Barbara Hupp #110085 12/29/04 01:51 AM
LADYBUG Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Hi Barb,
Best Wishes for a speedy recovery. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and Henry.
Darlene

Re: Thoughts & Prayers Needed For Barbara Hupp #110086 12/29/04 11:45 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Our thoughts and prayers will be with Barbara. Our wishes are that she has a very speedy recovery.

smile Lorna & Bob smile

Re: Thoughts & Prayers Needed For Barbara Hupp #110087 12/31/04 04:03 PM
A
ape Offline
Wacko
Wacko
A
Barbara,
May God watch over you and lead you to a fast recovery.

Mary & John

Re: Thoughts & Prayers Needed For Barbara Hupp #110088 01/11/05 12:54 AM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
I'm sorry to have to bring sad news-

Barbara Hupp passed away today January 10, 2005.

I just got an e-mail from her husband, Henry.

Here is his address to send a card if you wish to-

Henry Hupp
4F Pine Island Dr
Derry, NH 03038-1661

I never had the pleasure of meeting Barbara in person but she was alwasy willing to help me with my Lighthouse related questions, my trip to Hawaii and without her assistance I would not have been able to complete my task connected with the Wacko Pin last year.

I'm only sorry we were unable to continue with it this year.

She did many things for many people and she was very active in Lighthouse Preservation as one of the founding members of NELL along with her husband, Henry and others.

She will be missed.

Dennis

Re: Thoughts & Prayers Needed For Barbara Hupp #110089 01/11/05 04:38 AM
MrsTLC Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
That is just so sad...My thoughts and prayers are with her husband Henry and family.
Ruthie

Ruthie
"Where words fail, Music speaks"
Re: Thoughts & Prayers Needed For Barbara Hupp #110090 01/11/05 12:53 PM
LamarB Offline
Barb was a great friend of lighthouses and many who work for their preservation and restoration. She will be sorely missed by many.

Her health was failing and she was having a very difficult time in recent months. She is now free of earthly trials and tribulations. May her soul rest in peace.

Re: Thoughts & Prayers Needed For Barbara Hupp #110091 01/11/05 01:48 PM
Lorie Roe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
It's always sad to lose a lighthouse friend. Our thoughts and prayers go out to Henry.

Re: Thoughts & Prayers Needed For Barbara Hupp #110092 01/11/05 09:33 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Those who attended the 1998 Providence Collectors Family Reunion may have had a chance to meet Barbara and Henry Hupp.

Barbara prepared an on-line journal about the Reunion.

Here's a view of their Reunion Journal from the HarbourLights.com archives.

Barbara was an energetic and enthusiastic supporter of lighthouses. As noted previously, she got the WACKO pin off the ground and was intstrumental in the founding of the New England Lighthouse Lovers, serving as the organization's first President.

Our thoughts and prayers are with Henry at this time.

Re: Thoughts & Prayers Needed For Barbara Hupp #110093 01/11/05 09:42 PM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
John,

Thanks for that link to the past.

I wasn't there but I truly enjoyed seeing the photos and reading Barb's journal.

Dennis

Re: Thoughts & Prayers Needed For Barbara Hupp #110094 01/12/05 08:55 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
It's hard to believe Barbara is gone. Our condolences go out to all her loved ones. I guess you never know what's in store for you in life so enjoy life while you have your health.

frown Bob frown

Re: Thoughts & Prayers Needed For Barbara Hupp #110095 01/12/05 11:35 AM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Our condolences and prayers for the Hupp family.

Bert & Sharon

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: Thoughts & Prayers Needed For Barbara Hupp #110096 01/12/05 04:01 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Here's some fond memories of Barbara and Henry Hupp and NELL from June 1999

Bob & Mary Ann Go Lighthousing
With the New England Lighthouse Lovers Club (NELL)

Day 1
Thursday, June 3rd – we left Mt Sinai at 8am for 10am Orient Point to New London Ferry. We made great time and caught the 9am Cross Sound Ferry ($31 for car and driver + $9 each additional passenger –Reservations a must!). We viewed and photographed the Orient Point LH, Plum Island LH, Fishers Island LH, New London Ledge, submarine, and New London Harbor LH from the ferry. Good start 5 LHs. Arrived in New London at 10:30 am. We arrived in New London 1 1/2 hours ahead of schedule and heading for Boston.
12:30 pm arrived in Boston searching for the Fairmont Copely Plaza. Circled in around Boston Commons, and finally found it. (Could have used a better map of Boston before arriving. The hotel concierge provided a detailed map by Old Towne Tours.) 1pm on the street, lunch at Joe’s Bar and Grill outdoor cafe (spinach dip and grilled tuna with Japanese dipping sauce), walked to Cheers, Boston Commons, and back to Hotel. Found the John Hancock Building and went to the top for a view from the observation floor. Awesome – don’t miss it. Across the street to the Trinity Church, and back to hotel. Dinner at Turners Fishery (outstanding –marinated lobster salad and a lobster, scallop & shrimp dish in a tomato gravy) at the Westin across the street, and a walk through the Prudential Center indoor mall.

Day 2
Friday, June 4th – 9am catch the Old Towne Tour Shuttle ($23 per adult with unlimited stops and reboardings.) for trip around Boston – with stops at Farniel Hall, North Church, Paul Revere’s House, Harbor, and USS Constitution.
1:30pm left Boston heading north on 95. Got off 95 at York and followed the signs (Routes 1 & 1A) to York Beach, Cape Neddick in search of the Holy Grail. WOW! I can compare driving up to Nubble in the same way as entering Yankee Stadium and seeing the green of the baseball diamond through the gateway. My wife, MaryAnn even spotted Boon Island Lighthouse behind Nubble. Not bad for a Newbie. Words cannot describe what pictures can capture. In the gift shop, I met William O. Thompson who wrote a book on Nubble and another about Haunted Lighthouses. What a great guy and a world of information. He filled me in on the beach route (along Routes 1 & 1A North) that I was interested in which I took all the way to Kennybunkport. The 2˝ hour scenic ride on the beach road with spectacular views including Perkins Cove, the President George Bush Compound, and Lighthouse Depot in Wells. [ HINT: ALWAYS TAKE STREETS THAT ARE HEADING TOWARDS THE OCEAN. Some of the most fantastic houses and views I have found anywhere on the East Coast were found this way. Especially turn onto roads that are named Shore Road, Ocean Drive, Lighthouse Rd, Bayview Ave, etc, even if they are dirt roads. Even if you mistakenly end up in someone’s private driveway you can always turn around. Especially look for signs that say no access to Lighthouse, they will most times have the best view. (See Cape Elizabeth Twin Lights below.)] Somehow we missed Goats Island? Followed 77 back to 95 North to Portland arriving at 6pm. We met about a dozen members (strangers) at dinner (and soon became fast friends) at Vermillo’s which was adjacent to the HoJo the club was staying at. The menu included twin lobsters for $15.95 completed the day (YUM!).

Day 3
Saturday, June 5th - The 1˝ hour Harbor cruise on Bay View Cruise Lines (South Portland Harbor adjacent to DeMillios Floating Restaurant – if you park in DeMillios lot you can probably get your parking validated at the restaurant if you eat there. Barbara & Henry Hupp arranged a lunch there for the NewEnglandLighthouseLoversClub (NELL) and the free parking.), cruised past Portland Head, Spring Point Ledge Light, Portland Breakwater, and Ram Island Ledge. Club lunched at DeMillio’s and then attended the Harbour Lights signing by Bill Younger at the Country Noel Shop where we traded stories with Bill until a 6-year-old Portland boy came in and stole the show. He said he had 12 HLs, and then asked Bill if he knew where the tallest lighthouse in the world was located? He then told BY, before he could answer that it was in Tokyo, Japan. BY made some notes, and told the youngster he was going to Korea soon and would check it out. The rambunctious boy then reminded BY that the LH was in Japan, not Korea. So BY told him that Korea was as close to Japan as Boston was to Maine, and he would try to visit the lighthouse. The boy was then was hustled out the store by his Mom before he could ask her to buy any more HLs. Ron Foster took many pictures of the club with BY.
3:30pm – A lecture was given by Rusty Springer at the Spring Point Ledge Light Museum. We then returned to the hotel for a Club dinner at 7pm in a private room at Vermillo’s and another presentation on Casco Bay and Maine lighthouses.

Day 4
June 6th 8am – Church then a trip to Portland Head at FT. Williams Park to climb the light. This was quite an experience since the Coast Guard had to give permission and supervise the climb. (Again a NELL exclusive arranged by Barbara & Henry Hupp.) PortaPotties only and you must carry out all your garbage.
The museum has several Fresnel lamps. (I believe 2 4th Order and the original 2nd Order.)
12:15 lunch at the Sea Dog Brewing Company for a delicious lobster roll and a local brew. Then we traveled to Cape Elizabeth Twin Lights with the Fosters and Drummers (Check out the photo of the two Rons on the beach taking pictures of the LH.) for some quick pictures before heading back to Spring Point Ledge Light. We headed north of PortlandHead toward Two Lights Park. Make sure you turn up Two Lights Terrace (Ignore the sign that says ‘No access to lighthouses, Dead End’.) It is a street lined with houses and you can see the main light at the end of the dead end. You can drive right up to the gate. Now make sure when leaving that you see the other light that is a quick right turn on your way out. A left the main street and continue to the beach for more views and shots of the lighthouse. There is a Lobster Shack Restaurant on the beach that looks very popular but we didn’t visit since we just ate lunch.
2pm - Back to Spring Point Ledge Light for a unique climb up and into the caisson lighthouse. (Again a NELL exclusive arranged by Barbara & Henry Hupp.) It was amazing to go into the round light that you expected to be all metal, and find brick interior walls.
3:30pm we bid our good-byes and thanks to the club Barbara &Henry Hupp, Ron &Mary Jane Foster, Ron & Shirley Drummer, Ray &Val Patnaude, Bryan &Cyndee Anderson, Penny Patch, the Mills, the Carbones, the Catrinis, the Hawkes, and the Thumms. I hope I didn’t leave anyone out. We enjoyed meeting all of you and the interaction was exceptional.

Arrived in Newport, RI at 7:30pm after a stop at McDonalds and “can you believe a $5.95 Mac lobster roll meal”. Checked in at the Marriott Newport, and took a quick drive through town, ocean drive and past the mansions. Then back to the hotel for a great sunset view of the harbor from our room.

Day 5
June 7th 7:45am, early lighthousing to Goat Island LH (Park in side employees parking lot as soon as you cross the bridge, next to a Radison). You can view of Rose Island (You really need access from the water for a close photo) from another parking area on the other side of the Goat Island hotel. Then continue around the harbor (follow the signs for Ocean Drive) to Ida Lewis Yacht Club (You can see Ida Lewis on the drive around the harbor. There is a concrete pier that parallels the pier for Ida Lewis that you can take pictures from but the best shot is probably from the water). Then continue on Ocean Drive to find Castle Rock. (You can get to the lighthouse by turning right off Ocean Drive at the sign for Castle Rock Hotel and Restaurant. Proceed and park by water next to the parking lot. You can see the LH if you walk towards the water and look left. You can walk to the LH by following a dirt path through the woods at the back of the parking lot.)
10 am, road trip to Hammersmith Farm – home of Jackie Bouvier Kennedy (home of her mother and stepfather). After the farm at 11:30am, we continued to sightsee by car on Ocean Drive and the Mansions.
Checkout 12:30, heading for Beavertail. Follow the signs for Route 138 West. Go over 2nd bridge and follow the sign that reads Route 1 South. Continue about 15 to 20 minutes along the coast to Beavertail State Park. Arrived at Beavertail at 1pm. You can drive right up to the lighthouse and there is a museum that I did not have time to check out. Now comes the tricky part. Back track and find Route 138 South, then exit at Route 108 South and follow the signs for the Block Island Ferry. Go past the Ferry exit and continue to Port Judith arriving at 2:20pm .The keepers house is under repair at the non-accessible LH. I then followed Route 1 South until I found signs for 95South. Continue to Exit 84 South to downtown New London. 2nd light go left on Governor Winthrop Blvd, go straight over railroad tracks, and bear right to Ferry entrance. Orient Point 4pm ferry. Orient Point LH is now sporting its 100 years Anniversary Banner ”1899-1999”. Arrived on LI 5:20pm; viewed Long Beach Bar LH on the way home; and waved to Horton’s Point LH in Southold on the way by, traveling west on Sound Ave and Route 25. (Didn’t see it or stop, but it’s right off Sound Ave and a small sign clearly marks the way.)

Home Sweet Home 6:30pm.

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Thoughts & Prayers Needed For Barbara Hupp #110097 01/12/05 10:50 PM
RFoster Offline
We are sorry to learn of Barbara Hupp's passing on January 10th. She was a founding member and first President of NELL.

Barbara, along with husband Henry Hupp, had the idea to put out a signup sheet, at the 1998 Harbour Lights Reunion in Providence, RI, for anyone interested in forming a Harbour Lights Collectors Club in New England. Approximately two dozen Harbour Lights Collectors signed up and subsequently met, following the reunion, to form the New England Harbour Lights Collectors Club (forerunner of New England Lighthouse Lovers, NELL).

Barbara’s experience as an elementary school teacher taught her organizational skills that she used in the formation and leadership as President of NELL for two years, 1998 to 2000. She had many ideas and projects that were geared toward raising awareness and funds for lighthouse preservation. She also used her knowledge of Roberts Rules, plus experience gained through the formation of a camera club in Lynn, MA, when working on the NELL By-Laws Committee.

She was an avid photographer and was pleased to share her knowledge of photography with those she came into contact with. Her love of lighthouses, and Harbour Lights, was cause for her to initiate the Wacko Pin project, our annual Forums fundraiser for lighthouses.

Barbara and Henry were fixtures at the Harbour Lights reunions and were members of NELL up until her health issues caused them to quit a couple of years ago. Many in the lighthouse community are aware of and will certainly miss Barbara’s contributions and love for lighthouses. If it weren’t for Barbara & Henry Hupp putting out the signup sheet at the Harbour Lights Reunion in Providence in 1998, NELL might not be in existence.

NELL will be purchasing a brick in the Avery Point walkway in memory of Barbara. Avery Point was the place where the club's first event/meeting was held, following the formation meeting after the HL Reunion. I think it is fitting that NELL honor her with this lasting memorial.

Our thoughts are with Henry at this very difficult time.

Ron & MJ
(CT Keepers)

Ron
(CT Keeper)
Re: Thoughts & Prayers Needed For Barbara Hupp #110098 01/12/05 11:06 PM
Bill and Judy Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Blessings and prayers for the Hupp family. May memories give them comfort and strength during this difficult time. The lighthouse family is better off because of all the contributions Barbara made. She will be missed.
Bill and Judy

Re: Thoughts & Prayers Needed For Barbara Hupp #110099 01/13/05 03:01 AM
LADYBUG Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
While I only knew Barbara for a short period of time, it seemed as those we had been friends forever. We had a lot in common and enjoyed emailing each other about various lighthouse projects and suggestions for this that and the other. I had the pleasure of meeting her and Henry at the HL Reunion in Baltimore.

Our main bond was of course the Wacko Pin Project. With Barbara's guidance and dedication to lighthouse preservation, we were able to raise over $8200 through the sale of these pins. Lighthouses that benefited from this project included Morris Island, SC; St. George Reef, CA; Southeast Block Island, RI; Bodie Island, NC; Esopus Meadows, NY.

While it is sad that Barbara has passed away, I know she is no longer suffering and her soul has moved on to a more peaceful state. Rest in Peace my friend, I will truly miss you as will many in the lighthouse community. Our deepest sympathies to Henry and the rest of the Laatsch and Hupp family members.

Darlene and Al

Re: Thoughts & Prayers Needed For Barbara Hupp #110100 01/13/05 03:27 PM
DMancini Offline
Unfortunately, I never got the pleasure to know Barbara.

Sympathies to her husband and the rest of her family and friends.

Diane

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 803 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users