Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Lighthouse Nominations for WACKO 2002 Pin #10928 08/18/01 03:31 AM
LADYBUG Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
NOTE: Ladylightkeeper asked me to post this notice for her since she is on vacation with no computer access.

LIGHTHOUSE NOMINATIONS FOR WACKO 2002 PIN NEEDED NOW

Who will be the lucky lighthouse to receive the profits for their preservation activities from next year’s WACKO 2002 pin? You can help determine this by participating now in Phase 1 nominations and later in Phase 2 for the final voting. A pin will be made of the winning lighthouse, using a photo of its Harbour Lights sculpture. The profits from the sale of the pin will be sent to the lighthouse’s legal preservation group.

Anyone registered on the Collector Forums may both nominate qualified lighthouses, and take part in the final election. Purchase of the 2002 pin is being opened up to anyone interested in lighthouses: Collector Forums registrants; Harbour Lights Collector Society members; members of lighthouse clubs and organizations; and those who love and want to help preserve lighthouses. Our goal is to sell as many pins as possible in order to raise a significant donation for the lighthouse winner.

Each year that the committee does this project, we fine-tune it a bit, hoping our changes will expand its scope and interest more lighthouse enthusiasts to participate in it. In looking over some of your past posted comments, I would like to summarize here your thoughts which might be important to ponder when considering which lights to nominate.

A. “So many deserving lights; how best to pick? The way I see the Wacko Factor is as an extra contribution of funds that were not budgeted for and therefore can be dedicated to something in the preservation effort that otherwise would not happen or would be delayed.” Rick Mau

B. “Any light that would receive donations really needs to be one that is accessible to the public. Those on private property where guests are not welcomed should not receive our support - - - and (they) should accept responsibility for its restoration and upkeep.” Dave H.

C. “Most lighthouses need financial help and few have adequate funding and aren’t currently or actively soliciting funds. Those owned by national and state park services and the Coast Guard have no mechanism for accepting donations, even though the non-profit group that contracted with them needs money. The question is – - which light is MOST needy?” Lamar

D. “There are smaller projects out there that don’t have constant funds coming in like some which are well-publicized and have a big volunteer backing. Our WACKO pin donation might just make a difference on some one item that drastically needs immediate attention or stabilizing. It is important though that for each nominated light, there is an organized non-profit group really doing restoration work.” Ladylightkeeper

Please keep these various viewpoints in mind while reading over the following instructions for making your nominations. And then do start right in by posting your nominations on this General Forum Thread.

1. Think of this nomination procedure as a primary election. Those lighthouses which are nominated the MOST times will end up being on the final list for the final voting. No final lighthouse will be chosen for the WACKO pin based on only these nominations, but rather based on a vote to get one winner out of these nomination listings, which will be phase 2.

2. You may post up to 10 United States lighthouse nominations. All nominations are to be made only by posting them on the General Forum. Only registered Collector Forum members may make nominations.

3. You don’t have to post all nominations at the same time. If you wish to add to your total of 10 gradually, please do not revise your original posted reply but rather do a separate reply post, so as to make the tally process easier for Darlene Cook and Barb Kepple.

4. If someone has already posted the lighthouse(s) that you have on your list, you should still put them on your posting. Remember, the more times they appear as a nomination, the more likely they will make it onto the final election slate.

5. It would be nice if you would post your own list first, before being influenced by reading the other posts. You might be motivated to list lighthouses from your local or state area, or some seen while traveling, that really need help but aren’t well-known by members living in other parts of the U.S.

6. Telling some reasons why the lighthouse needs to be restored would be enlightening. You can list a website also.

7. All lighthouses nominated MUST have a registered active non-profit group in place which is already involved in restoration work at this time or will be doing so this year, in order for them to legally grant us permission to use their lighthouse name and image for our project. The money we donate must be put to real and current use. Lamar will be checking on each nomination to assure that they meet our criteria in order to be eligible to remain on the nomination list.

8. A nominated lighthouse must be an original light, not one being built as a reproduction of a past light or a new light being built for a tourist site. Historical preservation is the key concept for us.

9. Any lighthouse nominated must have had a sculpture made of it by Harbour Lights, as this is the basis of the unique photo pin design which we use.

10. Any lighthouses nominated in past years which still meet the eligibility criteria may again be nominated here, exclusive of past winners: Morris Island, SC and St. George Reef, CA.

11. The committee reserves the right to use the runner-up if the first place winner does not wish to participate in the project; or, if it does not get back to the committee within a reasonable time frame with all written legal permissions, so that we can meet our design and production deadlines.

12. All nominations must be posted by midnight Pacific Time on September 1, 2001

13. Darlene Cook and Barb Kepple will both be doing a tally and comparing their results. Then Darlene will be posting the top nominees for the election here on the General Forum, following the deadline and Lamar’s confirmation of their eligibility based on our criteria. Darlene and Barb K. will then be running the final election for Phase 2.

The committee looks forward to seeing nominations by both “old” and new Forum registrants. If you are brand new, here is a good way to become involved in a lighthouse preservation activity. We hope you will participate and help make this project a success in its third year. Information on how to order the pin for 2002 will be given a ways down the road after the design has been completed. This project takes a calendar year to complete.

Help keep the flame burning.
The 2002 WACKO pin committee: Barbara Hupp, Coordinator; Lamar Bevil; Darlene Cook; Henry Hupp; Barb Kepple.

Re: Lighthouse Nominations for WACKO 2002 Pin #10929 08/26/01 02:00 PM
LADYBUG Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
D E A D L I N E is Saturday, September 1st for nominations. See above post.

Re: Lighthouse Nominations for WACKO 2002 Pin #10930 08/27/01 05:59 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
For the 3rd year my nomination for the Wacko Pin is Esopus Meadows Lighthouse.

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=39476&a=731126&p=12586991[/img]

(Photo courtesy of Pat Ralston)

From the last issue of "The Light" received from the preservation group associated with this lighthouse, Save Esopus Lighthouse Commission (Spring 2001):

The organization is going through a "chartering" process necessary to obtain ownership from the U.S. Coast Guard. One change required by the NYS Department of Education is a change in the name of the organization which will be to "Esopus Meadows Lighthouse". A provisional charter was to be obtained on June 12th and access made to a 1998 grant of $75,000.

From the included Engineering Report:

The lighthouse has been jacked up and made level. The jacks are to remain in place indefinitely enabling leveling adjustments.

Additional restoration measures planned include: (1)Reworking of the temporary skirt covering the gap between the lighthouse and island deck to a permanent slip skirt, (2)Repairs and replacement of the deck handrail, (3)Grout repair and replacement between base pier stones and (4)Waterproofing and restoration of the deck suface upon which the lighthouse sits, including a new reinforced concrete cap of varying height to meet up with the newly leveled lighthouse.

Obviously this lighthouse has a long way to go but has a very dedicated group working very hard towards it's total restoration. Although the preservation group has been in existence since 1990 early efforts at recruiting both physical and financial support were frustrating. The newly reorganized membership is making giant strides towards their goals while recognizing the efforts of previous leadership.

Now is the time for those of us who recognize this lighthouse for it's beauty and uniqueness to lend a hand. Let the HL version of this tilting "Maid of the Meadows" serve as inspiration and motivation for us to help save this historic lighthouse on the Hudson River.
http://ulster.net/~kehsm/lighthouse.htm

Re: Lighthouse Nominations for WACKO 2002 Pin #10931 08/27/01 07:50 PM
Digger Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I nominate Old Mackinac Point Lighthouse

The lighthouse structure and grounds at the tip of Michigan's lower peninsula make it one of the region's most accessible lighthouses. The lighthouse was open to the public from the 1960s through the 1980s, but exhibits needed updating and extensive funding was needed for major restoration and further study. No one could anticipate the harsh effects of Mackinac weather on the lighthouse bricks.

Complete restoration is crucial to preserving the lighthouse, installing exhibits and reopening it to the public. The Mackinac Island State Park Commission owns the lighthouse and park.

[This message has been edited by Gravedigger (edited 08-27-2001).]

Re: Lighthouse Nominations for WACKO 2002 Pin #10932 08/28/01 03:53 AM
chris g Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I nominate Old Fairport Harbor Lighthouse in Ohio. Sorry, I don't know how to post one of those great pictures. We just visited there earlier this month and it was one of my favorite lighthouses that we visited. They have a great group of volunteers and a nifty museum, but could use our help too.

Old Kenosha Lighthouse could use some help, but I don't know if there is a group actively doing anything to restore this light. Any Wisconsonites out there know??

I also second the nomination for Esopus Meadows. With the state of the foundation, it would be a worthy recipient as well.

chris g

[This message has been edited by chris g (edited 08-28-2001).]

[This message has been edited by chris g (edited 08-28-2001).]

Chris G
Re: Lighthouse Nominations for WACKO 2002 Pin #10933 08/28/01 03:52 PM
LamarB Offline
Being unabashedly partial to lighthouses in the South, I nominate Crooked River, FL
http://www.floridalighthouses.org/LightHouse.asp?Lite=CrookedRiver

and Cape St. George, FL
http://www.floridalighthouses.org/LightHouse.asp?Lite=CapeStGeorge

Please see the above links for additional information. I know from personal experience that both are supported by very active restoration groups.

Re: Lighthouse Nominations for WACKO 2002 Pin #10934 08/28/01 08:31 PM
Lorie Roe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I'll have to go along with Sue. My husband grew up on the Hudson River in Catskill, NY so we'll both vote for Esopus-Meadows.

Re: Lighthouse Nominations for WACKO 2002 Pin #10935 08/28/01 08:34 PM
JeffMarsh Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Here are my ten picks for the next WACKO pin. I apologize for not doing my homework, but I've been extremely busy.

1. Pt Loma, CA (Old and New) The Southern California Harbour Light Collectors Club has done a lot work with this one.
3. Pt Pinion, CA
4. Cape St George, FL I've heard great things about the group to help preserve this light. They've done a lot of work, but they have a lot of work ahead of them. Most of my information on this have been from "Official" Publications and newspapers. Can anybody add information to this. I truly feel this would be an ideal candidate, though I don't have the references in front of me.
5. Mukilteo, WA
6. Admiralty Head, WA
7. Sharp's Island, MD
8. Split Rock, MI OOPS! I mean MN
9. Ponce De Leon, FL
10. Pt Fermin, CA I think this one might be privately owned, can anybody verify this for me.

Re: Lighthouse Nominations for WACKO 2002 Pin #10936 08/28/01 09:04 PM
Jim Chesher Offline
I second Digger's nomination of Old Mackinac Point Lighthouse.

Re: Lighthouse Nominations for WACKO 2002 Pin #10937 08/29/01 12:32 AM
2beacons Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
My votes go to:

1. White Shoal
2. Old Mackinac
3. Bodie Island
4. Old Michigan City

2beacons

Re: Lighthouse Nominations for WACKO 2002 Pin #10938 08/29/01 12:56 AM
DocJ44 Offline
This is a very hard decision to make...any "needy" lighthouse is deserving of our attention (and donations)...and I am sure that every lighthouse group is in need and would love to have our donation. But when I think about which one I would like to nominate, I thought specifically of those lighthouses that were having some particular unforeseen difficulty (above and beyond the usual maintenance)that I was made aware of during this year. It is with this thought in mind, I nominate these two particular lighthouses:

#1 CAPE HATTERAS. Just because its a "biggie" doesn't mean it pays for itself. The recent structural problems with the staircase closed the lighthouse for climbing this summer. The closing a couple summers ago was a joyous event because we all knew that the lighthouse was being moved to safer grounds. But its closing this summer was more solemn and made us aware of how delicate it still is and the privilege of climbing it should not be taken for granted.

How many of us here have climbed those stairs (and contributed to their daily wear and tear) free of charge over the years?

#2 CHARLOTTE-GENESSEE. Some may recall that at about this time last year I was making Rochester NY my second home. I saw alot of Lake Ontario lighthouses while I was there but I really fell in love with the Charlotte-Genessee lighthouse. I visited it on three separate occasions and climbed it twice. The group who care for this light have put together a wonderful museum on the grounds. You can tell it was made by people with a love of the history of the region. Recently raffle tickets were being sold (by Mike and Patty) to help pay for a new roof. I was away on vacation and failed to notice the posts until after I had returned. But I think money raised from the Wacko Pin would be a welcome contribution to the $4000 needed to pay for the roof.

When the final nominations are in, it will certainly be hard to choose!

Doc John

[This message has been edited by DocJ44 (edited 08-28-2001).]

Doc John
Re: Lighthouse Nominations for WACKO 2002 Pin #10939 08/29/01 01:14 AM
DocJ44 Offline
To the Wacko Pin nomination committee:

I would like to suggest an extension of the nomination period from 2 weeks to 1 month (mid September) to allow ample opportunity for forum members to locate this thread and respond if they wish to do so.

Doc John

Doc John
Re: Lighthouse Nominations for WACKO 2002 Pin #10940 08/30/01 12:36 AM
LADYBUG Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
The committee has reviewed DocJ's suggestion and has decided to keep the Deadline as is... midnight pacific time September 1st.

Re: Lighthouse Nominations for WACKO 2002 Pin #10941 08/30/01 01:01 AM
DocJ44 Offline
Well I guess the committee has its reasons.
So let me turn to the rest of you and say "Come on now...why the seeming lack of interest this year???" Only 9 responses to the initial post (this one and the previous 2 don't count)!!! I should think we would be a bit more motivated than this.

Doc John
Re: Lighthouse Nominations for WACKO 2002 Pin #10942 08/30/01 01:10 AM
B
Buz Dean Offline
B
I would have to put my votes to the following, but than I'm kind of partial to Florida Lights.

1. St. Augustine - Bill visits there frequently.
2. Cape St. George- Needs lots of help (since I cant nominate Anclote Key yet).
3. Hillsboro Inlet - Grew up living no more than 5 miles from this majestic light.
4. Jupiter Inlet - A very beautiful Light to see at night.
5. Key West - I like its looks.
6-?? etc. etc.

Re: Lighthouse Nominations for WACKO 2002 Pin #10943 08/30/01 01:45 AM
TD Offline
My vote:
1. South East Block
2. Cana Island
3. Old Mackinac
4. Cape Hatteras

Re: Lighthouse Nominations for WACKO 2002 Pin #10944 08/30/01 02:02 AM
Dave H Online
Saint
Saint
To my thinking, those lights that have been restored, either fully or partially, should not be among the contenders. Most of these lights are now open to the public, and have a source of funds coming in. Many of the lights listed are pretty well known, and open to the public for paid visitation. I don't mean they should not be supported, just that I kinda envision our help as better serving the less fortunate, downtrodden lights that need to be brought up to snuff to get the public interested in them.

To me, the two best contenders here are Esopus Meadows & Old Mac.

Esopus Meadows could potentially be open to visitation, as it is not too far from shore. It is a pretty light, and a good example of the type of lights along the Hudson. To me, its biggest drawback is the fact that they will have to use a boat to get visitors out to it.

Old Mac would be somewhat of a sentimental favorite. It is truly a one-of-a-kind light. It is very easily accessible being pretty much in the middle of town. Very nice park around it, a very enjoyable location all the way around. My issue with this light (perhaps an unfair one) is that the Park Commission has owned it for quite a bit and seems to have invested little in it. Now they suddenly want to dump a bunch of money into it. They had been able to invest money into other projects on their properties. Why not the lighthouse?

I can think of other lights that are deserving, but have not had a HL version made. Maybe we should look at expanding the criteria next year to not require the light already have a HL of it made.

Just my thoughts. May not be overly popular, but I think this is more towards what the wacko pin was envisioned for.

Dave

Re: Lighthouse Nominations for WACKO 2002 Pin #10945 08/30/01 10:24 AM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Here are my nominations

Esposus Meadows
Old Mac

I agree that maybe next year we should consider those not made by Harbour Lights.

I realize this is a site for Harbour Lights collectors, but we are also Lighthouse enthusiasts. It's something the committee should consider for the future.

Dennis

Re: Lighthouse Nominations for WACKO 2002 Pin #10946 08/30/01 11:10 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
My Nomination would be for Plum Island, NY or Jim Johnson's Pottawatomie lighthouse on Rock Island.
Yes, I know the rules but these lesser known lighthouses which are very familar here on the Forum are probably in need of a funding source more than a LHs that has already been done by Harbour Lights. Similar lhs to Plum Island have been done by HL like Old Field that similar artwork is available. Who's to say these babies are not on Harbour Lights drawing board right now? Right Jim?
Anyway, that's my "rock the Boat".
- Bob

[This message has been edited by rscroope (edited 08-30-2001).]

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Lighthouse Nominations for WACKO 2002 Pin #10947 08/30/01 02:49 PM
Randy Kremer Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Here's my list:

Esopus Meadows
Selkirk
Split Rock
Marblehead
Old Mack
Cape St. George
Bodie Island
Cape Hatteras
Pottawatomie
Michigan City

Re: Lighthouse Nominations for WACKO 2002 Pin #10948 08/30/01 04:44 PM
DocJ44 Offline
After reviewing the list of nominees...and because I have only used up 2 votes so far, I am going to add some votes for:

Bodie Island
Ponce de Leon
Cape St. George

As I see it, ANY light is deserved of our efforts to raise some money for them. I'm sure any group would appreciate any donations from us and put them to good use...be it outward restorations of a neglected lighthouse or safety improvements in a public lighthouse that will allow it to stay open. Arguing the merits of the nominees distracts a bit from the underlying purpose.

And personally, I think this pin SHOULD be a light that has a Harbour Lights sculpture made of it. That is how alot of us here have developed our interest in lighthouses...and the pin should reflect that fact. Perhaps some of you can lobby the "powers that be" to get a sculpture made of your favorite light in 2002. Or perhaps you can win the Collector's Choice next year

Doc John

[Addendum] I've just noticed a paucity of Maine lights on the nomination list...any suggestions from the inhabitants of America's Vacationland?

[This message has been edited by DocJ44 (edited 08-30-2001).]

[This message has been edited by DocJ44 (edited 08-30-2001).]

Doc John
Re: Lighthouse Nominations for WACKO 2002 Pin #10949 08/30/01 05:22 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Block Island North Light

SaintWackoPaul '
Keep the Flame

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Lighthouse Nominations for WACKO 2002 Pin #10950 08/30/01 08:13 PM
R
RMau Offline
Wacko
Wacko
R
In the deep recesses of the mind, I seem to remember discussions about the nomination restriction to lighthouses already done by HLs. I think it has to do with Paul's generous donation of his photographs to the project. By having the photo donated, the committee avoids the extra time, cost and legalities of getting permission to use an image of the winning light as the artwork that is the basis of the pin.

If I'm recalling that correctly, I have this suggestion for the pin committee to consider. If a person wants to nominate a lighthouse that HLs has not already produced, they must have a suitable photo of that light and be willing to donate the reproduction rights for that photo to the pin committee.

What do all of you readers think?

Rick

Re: Lighthouse Nominations for WACKO 2002 Pin #10951 08/31/01 12:52 AM
bright eyes Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Old Mackinac Point, Michigan

Re: Lighthouse Nominations for WACKO 2002 Pin #10952 08/31/01 01:02 AM
LamarB Offline
You recall correctly Rick and your reasoning is impeccable.

I’d like to add Esopus Meadows to my nominations.

To this discussion I’d like to add that after diligent research last year, it’s my understanding that the National Park Service cannot and will not accept funds specifically earmarked for restoration of a specific lighthouse. The reasons are somewhat complicated. In addition, the National Park Service is NOT a charitable organization under section 501 of the IRS code. What this means is that a lighthouse owned by NPS isn’t eligible.

Re: Lighthouse Nominations for WACKO 2002 Pin #10953 08/31/01 10:00 AM
CarolZ Offline
1. I'd like to nominate Esopus Meadows. The rough Hudson River ice flows have done a number on this lighthouse. The preservation group is doing a great job but still more needs to be done.
2. Plum Island- This is a beautiful light way too close to the water's edge to be ignored. Bob Scroope and the LI LH Society is trying to help this lighthouse and therefore could use the funds.
3. Jupiter Inlet- A beautiful light in a beautiful location.

Many of the lighthouses need help, so let's pick one that will benefit the most from our Wacko status.

Re: Lighthouse Nominations for WACKO 2002 Pin #10954 08/31/01 10:26 AM
DocJ44 Offline
So it appears that Cape Hatteras and Bodie Island can't be nominees...is that correct? As the list is developing, does anyone see any other potential names that can be a problem because of park status? Does this also apply to lights run by State Parks (such as Hunting Island)?

Since I am assuming from Lamar's post that my nominations of Cape Hatteras and Bodie Island are NOT eligible, I will substitute with nominations for:

Marblehead
Jupiter Inlet

Doc John

PS I have nothing against Esopus-Meadows or Old Mackinac...both are fine choices. But they would appear to be "shoe ins" for the final ballot at this time. I would like to have a wider range to choose from and then hopefully have enough time to research the choices carefully before making a final vote.

[This message has been edited by DocJ44 (edited 08-31-2001).]

[This message has been edited by DocJ44 (edited 08-31-2001).]

Doc John
Re: Lighthouse Nominations for WACKO 2002 Pin #10955 08/31/01 11:22 AM
mghusge Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Cape Hatteras
Bodie Island
Cape St. George, FL
Crooked River, FL

Mike

Re: Lighthouse Nominations for WACKO 2002 Pin #10956 08/31/01 11:38 AM
RIP Puls Offline
Wacko
Wacko
St.MARKS,Florida sure could use any help
plus it would look good on a Pin.

RIP
Re: Lighthouse Nominations for WACKO 2002 Pin #10957 08/31/01 12:04 PM
A
AlanBeckman Offline
A
1. St. Marks, Fla
2. Crooked River, Fla
3. Cape San Blas, Fla

Do you detect a trend here?

Lonesome Gator in Alabama

Re: Lighthouse Nominations for WACKO 2002 Pin #10958 08/31/01 05:16 PM
LamarB Offline
I'll add St. Marks to my list, too.

Re: Lighthouse Nominations for WACKO 2002 Pin #10959 08/31/01 11:13 PM
B
Barb Kepple Offline
B
My nominees are Esopus Meadows,NY, Old Mackinac Point, MI and Charlotte-Genesee, NY.

Barb

Barb
Re: Lighthouse Nominations for WACKO 2002 Pin #10960 08/31/01 11:51 PM
Stan Offline
My vote goes for Cape St. George, FL.

Re: Lighthouse Nominations for WACKO 2002 Pin #10961 08/31/01 11:53 PM
LADYBUG Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Coquille River, OR
Grays Harbor, WA
Mukilteo, WA
New Dungeness Light, WA
Lightship Columbia
New London Ledge, CT
Charlotte-Genessee, NY

Re: Lighthouse Nominations for WACKO 2002 Pin #10962 09/01/01 01:28 AM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
I nominate St mark also.
St. Mark use to be open to the public once a year until three years ago when the metal stairs were found unsafe. It sure would be nice to have it accessible again.
http://www.lanternroom.com/lighthouses/florida/flor14.htm
http://lighthousegetaway.com/lights/st_marks.html

Daniel

DANIEL
Re: Lighthouse Nominations for WACKO 2002 Pin #10963 09/01/01 01:38 AM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
I am going to Block Island before the reunion, so I can furnish a picture of the North Light, also. Who knows maybe HL will do it because it is the Wacko Pin!

SaintWackoPaul '
Keep the Flame

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Lighthouse Nominations for WACKO 2002 Pin #10964 09/01/01 02:19 AM
Tom and Joyce Abbott Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
We would like to nominate SE Block for the 2002 WACKO Pin.

“Now that South East Lighthouse has been saved from destruction, interior restoration work will proceed, utilizing the original U.S. Light House Board plans as a guide. The Southeast Lighthouse Foundation plans to maintain a museum at the station that will feature the material culture of the U.S. Coast Guard and the maritime history of Block Island. There are also plans to use part of the space for a bed and breakfast, featuring historic rooms with appropriate furnishings. The lighthouse will continue to be a working aid to navigation and continue to guide vessels around the southeastern corner of Block Island.” An excerpt from National Historic Landmark Study . This link will display the complete document.

A letter from the Southeast Lighthouse Foundation indicates donations will be put toward matching funds for a $300,000.00 National Park Service “Save America’s Treasures” grant. This grant requires a dollar for dollar non-federal match. To complete the match of these funds the Foundation is seeking private foundation grants, however individual donations are vital in demonstrating to potential funding sources that community support exists for the restoration of Southeast Light.

Southeast Lighthouse Foundation has been awarded two federal grants to restore the Lighthouse structure to its former splendor. The first grant of $475,000 from the Department of Transportation will be released this year. Scheduled work includes a condition survey by a restoration architect, replacement of the roof, re-pointing of the masonry and restoration, repair or replacement of windows. The “Save America’s Treasures” grant will, when matched, be used to continue restoration. The building’s once ornate porches will be replaced, cast iron elements will be restored and interior work will start. The grants received to date, which total $775,000.00 are desperately needed to restore the Southeast Light structure and indeed, more will be needed to complete the restoration of this National Historic Landmark.

A few photos of SE Light
[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=49026&a=13703281&p=53612897[/img]
Lots of work needed on the exterior

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=49026&a=13703281&p=53612890[/img]
The basement

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=49026&a=13703281&p=53612920[/img]
Keeper’s Entrance

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=49026&a=13703281&p=53612905[/img]
Keepers quarters

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=49026&a=13703281&p=53612928[/img]
Stairs to second story

Click here for more pictures .

------------------
Tom & Joyce

Tom & Joyce
Re: Lighthouse Nominations for WACKO 2002 Pin #10965 09/01/01 02:20 AM
MrsTLC Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
My nominations are as follows:

Esopus Meadows
Old Mackinac Point
Coquille River
Charlotte-Genesee
Cape Saint George
Pottawatomie

Ruthie

Ruthie
"Where words fail, Music speaks"
Re: Lighthouse Nominations for WACKO 2002 Pin #10966 09/01/01 02:47 AM
DocJ44 Offline
I had always thought of SE Block as a "well-kept" light...BOY was I wrong. Thanks for those eye-opening pictures Tom & Joyce! As the saying goes, "a picture is worth a thousand words."

I will now formally add SOUTH EAST BLOCK ISLAND (#8 if I'm not mistaken) to my list of nominees as well.

Doc John

Why am I up so late??...its my daughter's 11th birthday and we're having a "sleep-over." I hate to be crank, but I think I will have to call for quiet pretty soon. I'm getting N'Sync'd out!

Doc John
Re: Lighthouse Nominations for WACKO 2002 Pin #10967 09/01/01 12:11 PM
Jake Offline
I nominate Old Mackinac Point and Bodie Island.

[This message has been edited by Jake (edited 09-01-2001).]

Jakers
Re: Lighthouse Nominations for WACKO 2002 Pin #10968 09/01/01 01:16 PM
C
CJandAMANDA Offline
C
Our Votes are:
1. Grosse Point
2. Wind Point
3. Old Mackinac Point
4. Cana Island

Re: Lighthouse Nominations for WACKO 2002 Pin #10969 09/01/01 03:34 PM
LADYBUG Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Thanks Tom and Joyce for the pictures; what an eye opener; like Doc John I too thought this lighthouse was in far better shape than it is. I am adding SE Block to my list of nominations as well.
Darlene

Re: Lighthouse Nominations for WACKO 2002 Pin #10970 09/01/01 04:11 PM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
Round Island
Cape St. George
Cockspur
South East Block Island
St. Marks

Re: Lighthouse Nominations for WACKO 2002 Pin #10971 09/01/01 11:25 PM
B
Barb Kepple Offline
B
I agree with Ladybug and DocJ - I add Southeast Light on Block Island to my list as well.

Barb

Barb
Re: Lighthouse Nominations for WACKO 2002 Pin #10972 09/02/01 12:47 AM
Brent Offline
1. Old Mackinac Point
2. Bodie Island
3. Round Island [MI]

[This message has been edited by Brent (edited 09-01-2001).]

Brent
OBLHS Charter Member
Re: Lighthouse Nominations for WACKO 2002 Pin #10973 09/02/01 04:54 PM
LADYBUG Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Nominations are now closed. Thank you all for your participation and nominations. We will be going over the list and tallying them up. Phase 2 -- Voting will take place shortly -- watch for details to be announced in The General Forum soon.

Darlene, Lamar, Barb K., Barb H., Henry

Re: Lighthouse Nominations for WACKO 2002 Pin #10974 09/02/01 06:03 PM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
Quote:
Phase 2 -- Voting will take place shortly -- watch for details to be announced in The General Forum soon.

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Rock, Dave H), 1,337 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users