Print Thread
Bob McKeon #108533 10/17/01 12:27 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Over in another thread, Bob McKeon reveals his fight against skin cancer:

Quote:
Anytime anyone beats anything to do with cancer, it's a great day. I was diagnosed with malignant melanoma in the beginning of May of this year. After six surgeries, removal of sentinnel lymph nodes and a few tubes, I'm now cancer free. Of course, I will be going to the doctor every three months for a very long time but that I can handle. I've been assured that I'm cancer free right now.
Cancer plays tricks with your mind. Keeping a positive attitude help defeats the nasty disease. The biggest thing is EARLY DETECTION. Everyone should make an appointment with a Skin Surgeon and have him or her check your whole body for problem areas. My Surgeon told me if I waited another year I might be dead now. My melanoma was already in the intermediate stage. When you reach that point they tell you if it's in your blood stream (5% chance) you're dead. If it travelled to your organs (10% chance) you have some serious health issues. And, of course, there is an 85% chance it didn't travel and you'll be fine.

Tell me that would weigh heavy on your mind.

Use sunscreen, wear wide brim hats, and try to avoid direct exposure to the sun whenever you can.

So I'm done preaching...get your butts to the doctor and be screened for skin cancer.

Sincerely,

Bob M.

I'm certainly happy that things are going well and we should all heed Bob's advice to see a Dermatologist periodically and should monitor our own skin.

I am sorry that Bob went through this time without our prayers and thoughts -- although I can also understand why one would choose to do that.

Please - others. Know that we value each other and are willing to lift up our prayers and thoughts on your behalf when you are going through a tough time. If you are willing to share here or by email to a select group of your online friends, please do so.

0 :>) St. John of the Internet

Re: Bob McKeon #108534 10/17/01 03:26 PM
Randy Kremer Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Thanks for posting this John! Good news Bob! Also good advice. I talked with Bob on the phone last night for about an hour.(Not about this. Lighthouses only!) We finally met in Baltimore and it was great to see someone face to face that you have known for the past few years.

Keep up the good fight Bob!
Watch that sun while out on the boat!

Re: Bob McKeon #108535 10/18/01 04:21 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Bob, thanks for sharing your story with us. While I was saddened to read it I am very glad that you are now free from the cancer. It is certainly most important to take the precautions that you have mentioned. Red is good for lighthouses but not your skin .

Re: Bob McKeon #108536 10/18/01 04:47 PM
RezmanDale Offline
Bob,

Sorry to hear of you trials with skin cancer. Especially glad to hear you are now a cancer survivor. My wife went through two surgeries for malignant melinoma on her leg about 5 months ago. She is now a Cancer Survivor too. She has to go every three months now for check ups too. This was her fourth spot. In fact the spot she had removed this time was on a previous skin cancer site 5 years ago. It was scary, especially when the first operation didn't get it all. We have had a lot of people praying for us and that is very comforting to know in times like this. Please know that you and your family are in our prayers.

Dale and Diana lawrence

Re: Bob McKeon #108537 10/18/01 09:40 PM
N
Nana Offline
N
Friend Bob, I know too well about the skin cancer route, as my husband went thru the same. He is on a first name basis with his doctor and they see each other often. Both of you are blessed to have had the area located when you did. Early detection, as you say, is so important.. Since I was with him most of the times when he was out basking in the NC sun, I heeded the warning and now get annual "going over" for any spots.

The members of this forum have been so faithful in praying for me and mine over the years and I do so appreciate that support. Last year was a tough year while we were all going thru my oldest daughter's divorce. Many of the Wackos were and are still praying for her needs and I lost count of how many of them asked about her while we were at the reunion. We are always, as believers, blessed to pray for each other. Bob, your name will be lifted up for continued cancer free reports.

Derith

[This message has been edited by Nana (edited 10-18-2001).]

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (DANIEL, Rock), 1,669 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users