Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Saluting our Veterans #107894 11/09/01 11:34 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Here's a salute to the veterans among us for Veterans Day, Monday, November 12.

Sign in and tell us a bit about your service time.

I enlisted in the US Army in February of 1967 and went to Fort Knox for Basic, then Redstone Arsenal for 32 weeks of training as a missile test station repairman (21J20)

Off to Europe for about 2 years of service as -- not a missile test station repairman -- but as a company clerk. Reached Spec 5 rank.

Got out in December 1969 and returned to Michigan State for the last 6 months of work on my BS.

I enlisted to avoid the draft. My draft board called and told me I would be drafted the next month so I enlisted so I could choose the school I would go to -- the longest one the Army offered. And the missile I worked on was the Pershing, a 400NM range rocket with a nuclear warhead. Not likely to be used in Vietnam.

Re: Saluting our Veterans #107895 11/10/01 11:28 PM
JoAnn Offline
This isn't about me but my husband John.He's a retired LCdr-Navy Pilot.Of our 6 children,one son is a Navy veteran,Our youngest daughter is a Master Chief,our oldest son is First Class both Navy,our oldest granddaughter graduated yesterday from Air Force basic training.We celebrate Veterans Day!

Re: Saluting our Veterans #107896 11/11/01 12:54 AM
Lightseeker Offline
Wacko
Wacko
John, if you had been assigned in your primary MOS, we might very well have crossed paths over 30 years ago. From July 1966 till June 1968, I served in Germany in the US Army Advanced Weapons Support Command.

In '68 I had the opportunity to transfer to the 24th Infantry Division (Forward) in Augsburg, Germany, to I serve as the Division Ammunition Officer. I completed my overseas tour of duty and returned to the US in July, 1969, and separated from the service shortly thereafter.

Since I had extended my 2-year obligation for the 3-year tour, my wife was permitted to accompany me. It gave us a great opportunity to see quite a bit of Europe, and to form some lifelong friendships with other officers and their wives. I felt incredibly fortunate to have been able to serve in outstanding units, to perform duties that were interesting and even enjoyable, and to travel around Europe in my time off.

Bruce

[This message has been edited by Lightseeker (edited 11-10-2001).]

Re: Saluting our Veterans #107897 11/11/01 01:02 AM
Torchbearer Offline
Most here already know that I served in the U.S. Coast Guard as did other members here. Of my many duty stations, I had a tour in Vietnam, 10 years sea duty, many small boat stations, etc. I retired in September of 1991 after 20 years.

Tim - Keeping the flame lit...

Re: Saluting our Veterans #107898 11/11/01 01:04 AM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Yep, I was also in the US Army Advanced Weapons Support Command. I was actually in the depot unit 579th Ord Co, stationed in Pforzheim, later in Neu Ulm.

USAAWSC was HQ'd in Pirmasens, I believe. Where were you?

It wasn't that I changed my MOS; the day I arrived at the 579th, the CO asked me if I could type. I said sure. I kept my MOS throughout my tour, just had different assigned duties. A buddy of mine from the Redstone School became the company mail clerk.

Go figure.

[This message has been edited by JChidester (edited 11-10-2001).]

Re: Saluting our Veterans #107899 11/11/01 01:32 AM
O
oseabee Offline
Administrator
Administrator
O
During my 27 yrs in the navy and CG and the time from 46-52 Inthe merchant marine I had some good times and made some good friends.some of my good times were V-E day in London and V-J day in boston.one bad experience was after coming to Fl. amd reading the book about Gen Chesty Pullers sonand some of the times we both spent at the same times and places in RVN.If you ever read the book the seabees he talks about are my battalion and the bridge was the job I was working on at the time not far from where he stepped on a mine that took both his legs.1944-1981 some of the best and worst times of my life. Bill O'Brien

[This message has been edited by oseabee (edited 11-10-2001).]

oseabee
Bill O'Brien
Re: Saluting our Veterans #107900 11/11/01 01:58 AM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
John & Bruce,

This is not about me- I failed both the Army and Air Force physicals when I tried to enlist.

it's about my brother - he was in the Army starting just about the time you left , John. He was in the Artilery and was in Germany with the Pershing missle. I don't know the command , but he spent 3 years there. He came home twice to test fire the missles somewhere out west. I believe it was New Mexico.

He opted to not reup when his four years were up, but he managed to stay in the Army Reserve while moving around the country over the years and retired 2 years ago- his luck ran out . He made one move too many and no unit had an open spot for his rank.(Lt. Colonel)

His middle son is serving in the Army as a Captain serving as Brigade Chemical Officer and is currently in the field.

Dennis

Re: Saluting our Veterans #107901 11/11/01 02:35 AM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Thanks, Dennis. It is a small world.

The Pershing was a 'tactical nuclear missile' (as if a nuclear explosion could be tactical.)

Following graduation from Missile & Munition School in the Pershing training, you could either go to Ft. Sill OK or to Germany. And in Germany, you could be at the Depot (579th ORD Co.) or in the field.

The Pershing was a mobile missile with a tracked carrier plus the launch station in a separate vehicle. Bruce was apparently in the field most of the time, moving from one possible launch site to another during the cold war. I was fortunate to be situation in one place, living in a barracks instead of the field.

Pershing Missiles were destroyed as part of the Strategic Arms Treaty with Russia in the late 80's or early 90's I believe.

Re: Saluting our Veterans #107902 11/11/01 02:40 AM
Larry Offline
Here's my salute to all of our fine Veterans.

Myself, I never served, but my father was in the Army Air Corp in WWII, and all five of my brothers served: three in the Air Force, two in the Army. Also, one of my sisters was Army.

To them, to anyone one on this forum and to every other veteran out there, I say THANK YOU!

Re: Saluting our Veterans #107903 11/11/01 02:40 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
John,

My brother was slated to rotate to Ft Sill for a short stay and then a longer stay in South Korea when his time for reenlistment came up.

It was decided to leave the service mostly by the fact of two things- officers of his rank could not take family to Korea and his wife was not crazy about moving all the time.

The funny thing about the second thing is that years since then they have moved 10 times due to job changes. They probably would have moved less if he had stayed in the Army.

Live is funny.

I want to take this oppurtunity to thank all those on this list that served in the Armed Services or supported someone who did.

I try and thank a veteran any chance I get.

Dennis

Re: Saluting our Veterans #107904 11/11/01 03:09 PM
GerryBu Offline
I served in the U.S. Navy on the aircraft carrier U.S.S. Ranger during Viet Nam. I was in a F-4 Squadron based out of San Diego, VF-152 Black Knights.

Re: Saluting our Veterans #107905 11/11/01 06:42 PM
MrsTLC Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
A salute to all of those who have served their country well... SALUTE

Ruthie

Ruthie
"Where words fail, Music speaks"
Re: Saluting our Veterans #107906 11/11/01 06:43 PM
Digger Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I served in the U.S. Air Force (1974-1980) at Grissom AFB in North Central Indiana. I was an aircraft maintenance technician (wrench jockey) with the 434th Tactical Fighter Wing for the 1st 2 years and later was promoted to crew chief. I was fortunate enough to get my hands on several "neat" fighter aircraft, F-4, F-111, F-5, A-37 and finished on the GREAT A-10! In 1978 I was awarded "Airman Of The Year" and also received the "Indiana Military Achievement Award" presented by then Governor Otis R. Bowen who later served as Secy. of Health Education & Welfare under President Reagan. "Doc" Bowen also happens to be a lifelong resident of Bremen (our hometown hero).

Didn't serve in any conflicts unless you consider the nightly ones in the bars in Kokomo.

Yes, they did get me to paint also. I had the very cool task of painting the "nose art" on the A-37 Dragonflies (a very mean looking Dragon) also the Maintenance vehicles and I painted our unit emblem on the sides of aircraft hangers when deployed (there could still be some of the work out there somewhere, who knows).

Re: Saluting our Veterans #107907 11/11/01 07:51 PM
L
lkeasyliving Offline
Wacko
Wacko
L
U.S. Navey 71-75
our ship helped demine Hifong (sp) Harbor Vietnam

Larry
Re: Saluting our Veterans #107908 11/11/01 09:21 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I e-mailed my brother and he sent along a little explanation of his stint with the Pershing Missle

A little about Pershing:

I was assigned as a Firing Platoon Leader and finished up as the Executive
Officer of a Firing Battery ( D Btry 3/84th Field Artillery). I was
stationed in Neckarsulm and pulled extensive field duty at Mainbullau and
Kleingartach - both active missile sites with targets to the East. The
Pershing 1A system was an upgrade from the track mounted system mentioned
in one of the emails, and was much more mobile and reliable. The system was
a tactical system in that it served as a "first strike" weapon that was
also called a "theatre weapon". What that actually meant was that it was a
weapon that was available to the Theatre Commands (SHAPE, USAREUR, EUCOM
and NATO) but could not be used by anyone else without proper authority.
The fact that a weapon was nuclear in nature almost assures that it will be
deemed tactical.

Bottom line, we could not decide to "fire one down range" without the
proper release authorizations and PAL code to arm the warhead. Pretty heady
stuff at the time and a little sobering now that I think about the
possibilities. By the way, Chris is now HHD Commander for the 1st Bde 101st
Airborne Division (Air Assualt). The oddity here is the fact that he is a
Chemical Officer . He will rotate out of that position in June.

It's still sort of greek to me.

Dennis

Re: Saluting our Veterans #107909 11/12/01 01:35 PM
FrankB Offline
My father served in the Navy during WW2.

My church put on two concerts ("Home of the Brave") to salute veterans on Nov. 9 & 10. The handbell choir, in which I participate, played two pieces.

I displayed my HL Liberty Enlightening the World in the narthex along with a framed copy of "The New Colossus" by Emma Lazarus. I found the perfect display case for this - one designed for displaying autographed basketballs.

FrankB

FrankB
Re: Saluting our Veterans #107910 11/12/01 04:36 PM
O
oseabee Offline
Administrator
Administrator
O
The book I made reference to is"Fortunate Son" by Lewis Puller Jr. reading for any one interested in Viet Nam.I of course had a personal interest in it.Bill O'Brien

[This message has been edited by oseabee (edited 11-12-2001).]

oseabee
Bill O'Brien
Re: Saluting our Veterans #107911 11/12/01 08:06 PM
Rich Offline
I enlisted in the Army August, 1969 (my draft lottery # was 3!). Signed on as a Warrant Officer Candidate training to fly helicopters. Got "86"ed out of that due to Vietnamazation. Went into computers from there and had a 3 month TDY assignment in Honolulu. Then to Nam for nine months. I thought I would work in the computer center at Long Bien but ended up spending half my time in the boonies. Go figure.

Rich

Re: Saluting our Veterans #107912 11/14/01 02:07 PM
RRohweder Offline
Better late than never I suppose. Sorry, I've been preoccupied elsewhere.

Joined the U.S. Coast Guard in July 1965:
Boot Camp at Cape May, NJ
65-67 Coast Guard Cutter STORIS, Kodiak, AK
Deck Seaman
67-71 CG Station St. Clair Flats, Harsens
Island, MI - Ran small boats - met &
married Cam
71-73 CG Station Port Huron, MI -
Station XPO & ran small boats
73-76 Back to Harsens Island - same job as
at Port Huron
76-78 CGC POINT JUDITH, Santa Barbara, CA
made BMC and ran blue crew (dual
crewed patrol boat). Made Warrant.
78-80 CGC MELLON, Honolulu, HI - First Lt
(In Charge of Deck Force) Underway OOD
80-83 CG Station Manasquan Inlet, Point
Pleasant Beach, NJ - CO
83-85 CG Group Cape May, NJ - Surface
Operations Officer
85-88 CG Station Humboldt Bay, Samoa, CA
CO - Retired 8/1/88

It was a rough career, but somebody had to do it (eat your heart out Dave).

Rich

------------------

[This message has been edited by RRohweder (edited 11-14-2001).]

Re: Saluting our Veterans #107913 11/15/01 01:24 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint

[img]http://www.members.iquest.net/~dhannum/spy.thm[/img]

[This message has been edited by Dave H (edited 11-14-2001).]

Re: Saluting our Veterans #107914 11/17/01 12:26 AM
Stan Offline
I served in the Navy from '71 to '93. After getting commissioned at Pensacola, I went to Denver for training at the Armed Forces Intelligence Training Center. Duty assignments included: USS INDEPENDENCE (2 deployments); Fleet Intelligence Center, Norfolk; Anti-submarine Squadron 22 (2 deployments); Pacific Fleet HQ, Honolulu; Mine Warfare Command, Charleston; Special Operations Command, Tampa; and USS SARATOGA (1 deployment). The operational tours with the Fleet (the 2 carriers and the squadron) were clearly the best of the lot, although the tour at Tampa was one of the most interesting. That's where I got to know some of the most remarkable people in the military -- the special operations troops (SEALS, Green Berets, etc) who have been so instrumental in kicking butt in Afghanistan. Courage, intelligence, and professionalism really set these guys apart from everyone else -- nobody on the planet does it better. I'm very proud to have served with them.

Re: Saluting our Veterans #107915 11/19/01 12:29 AM
Brent Offline
I dropped out of the University of Virginia in 1967...joined the U.S. Army within a month.
Did basic at Ft. Jackson, SC...AIT at Jackson then advanced AIT at Ft. Meade, MD.
I received orders to go to Berlin, Germany. When I got there I found that my orders had been recinded and I would be assigned to V Corps Hdqs. in Frankfurt.
I was sent to Germany as a Cartographer but ended up with a MOS in photography...which was a blessing because in the two years I was stationed there I did TDY in 17 different countries.
After the two years was up I was sent stateside to Ft. McPhearson, GA as a Public Information N.C.O.I.C.
I was discharged on April 20th, 1971 as a Staff SSG E-6....returned to UVA where I ended up with a BS in Commerce in '73.

Brent
OBLHS Charter Member
Re: Saluting our Veterans #107916 11/19/01 12:41 AM
O
oseabee Offline
Administrator
Administrator
O
I was visiting Berlin in June &may the year the wall came down Bill O'Brien

oseabee
Bill O'Brien

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 900 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users