Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Keeping Everything The Same #107036 10/07/01 07:30 PM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I made a statement when I first joined the CF that I wouldn't post too often and then it would be something that I felt was important.
I am a creature of habit and when I collect something I go all out. I have all the Anchor Bays so far that are lightships and the CG 44 footer. They all have glass cases and are on top of my curio cabinets holding my lighthouses. Now Harbour Lights goes and changes success. They are bring out a 110 footer and guess what, no GLASS CASE!!!
I don't mind them selling the 110 Footer without the case. Some collectors want it this way, but, why don't they make a case optional for the collectors that want one??? I have tried calling customer service on this option but only get the run around instead of the one-on-one service that I use to get. None of the ladies on the switchboard seem to care anymore except Debbie and Donna. When you call you get the feeling that they are doing you a favor even talking to you. I have tried talking to Kim or Bill on this subject but can't get past the switchboard or customer service.
I would be willing to pay a good price for this optional Glass case but they say they had too much breakage. I suggested a plexiglass top in the same shape with the same type wooden base on the other anchor bays and was told they had no demand for this case. Ho could they know if they had a demand if they won't let you talk to anyone who cares.
Is anyone else having this problem. Does anyone else want a case or am I the only one. I guess I have to make a case myself if no one at Harbour Lights wants to listen to the collector in the field. Maybe all there interested in now days is exclusives for their big dealers and not interested in the individual who spends $1000 to $2000 dollars a year buying from their smaller dealers.
Maybe if there is enough interest in the glass/plexiglass case in this posting, Harbour Lights may see this or maybe John can pass this on to them. I will still buy the 110 footer (case or no case) but it sure won't look the same to me.

Rich
Re: Keeping Everything The Same #107037 10/08/01 12:22 AM
O
oseabee Offline
Administrator
Administrator
O
I like the new cutter but I think an optional case of plastic is a good idea Bill O'Brien

oseabee
Bill O'Brien
Re: Keeping Everything The Same #107038 10/08/01 12:23 AM
O
oseabee Offline
Administrator
Administrator
O
I like the new cutter but I think an optional case of plastic is a good idea Bill O'Brien

oseabee
Bill O'Brien
Re: Keeping Everything The Same #107039 10/08/01 01:00 AM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
I totally agree with you flacoastie.
I am not going to buy the new USCG Cutter Tybee because it doesn't come with a case. My curio cabinet is full and I have no place to put it except in storage.
If it came with a case, I could always find a shelf or dresser to put it on.
I also like the Idea of an optional case. I definitely would buy one.

I agree that Debbie and Donna are caring and try very hard to help, but it is very hard to talk directly to management anymore. I guess that is the curse of a growing company. The best think is to air your opinion on this forum (as you are doing) and to email Kim.

Daniel

DANIEL
Re: Keeping Everything The Same #107040 10/08/01 09:34 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Hi Guys, ... The thing that has been on the minds of the Harbour Lights Crew for the last many months has been the reunion. It was an event of MAJOR proportion, that probably required many hundreds of hours of their work and personal time to plan. The Crew from HL bend over backwards to see to it that their collectors are happy whenever they can.

Anchor Bay products has been kicked around hundreds of times by the collectors. The "case, no case" thing had been beaten to death. What it boils down to is collectors complained the cost of AB products was too high as compared to the lighthouses. The only way HL could lower the cost was to eliminate the case. Many collectors suggested that and HL listened.

The thought of the case being optional was discussed by many. Unfortunately, if you offer a product then you must provided a product, which means HL could get stuck with hundreds of unsold cases. Fellow collectors offered the idea of purchasing a non-HL domed cover which can be purchased through collecting stores.

I guess this is one of those "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situations for HL. The collectors asked for a less expensive AB product and we got it. My prediction is it will sell as good as the USCG 44 or maybe even better because of the price. They answered our call and it's time for you guys to adapt and overcome. It's totally unfair to label the HL Crew as uncaring. The Younger Family cares about their collectors and you will never be able to convince me otherwise.

One thing HL collectors do agree with is our right to disagree. That is what makes this board so wonderful. You should always feel free to express yourself and let your fellow collectors know what you're thinking. This is how we all learn what's going on in the world of HL collectors.

Keep those replys coming...

Bob

Re: Keeping Everything The Same #107041 10/08/01 07:21 PM
Randy Kremer Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I would think most glass shops in this country could make a glass case to order. I may be wrong, but I would think that if you took one of the other cases as a sample, they could make one to fit this new ship. I know some hobby shops sell glass cases. It would pay to call around to these types of stores and see if it is possible to order one.

[This message has been edited by Randy Kremer (edited 10-08-2001).]

Re: Keeping Everything The Same #107042 10/09/01 07:53 PM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
I never heard of a problem with broken cases. I always heard it was a problem with the manufacturer not being able to produce them fast enough. Personally I side with Bill Younger on this one, "If we are going to make them they will have a case", unfortunately Bill has been overuled and those of us that weren't concerned about the price and wanted the display cases have not been heared. Only the complaints were heard and not the praises imho. I love Anchor Bay but I am now stuck with the same dilema, no cabinet space to display it in. If I can't find a case for it here is another Coastie that just might have to pass on it for fear of it being broken sitting on a shelf.

Re: Keeping Everything The Same #107043 10/09/01 08:21 PM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
So far it seems like the majority of the comments made were for a case. The problem is not having a case made, the problems is having the same look as all the other Anchor Bay pieces have. I could have a glass cover made for $35.00 but then I still wouldn't have the base and brass plate looking the same. I have all my Anchor Bays on top of my lighthouse curios and here would be this oddball piece. Don't get me wrong, I will buy the 110 footer but will not feel the same about it as the other pieces. It will be like having an original Harbour Lights Coquille River and right next to it having a Spencer Collin Cape Hatteras.

I don't propose that Harbour Lights go out and buy 2000 of these cases and get stuck with them. I suggested to them to have a certain time limit (30-60 days)to special order them through Harbour Lights. They could place the order and I would be willing to wait to get one. I also suggested plexiglass instead of glass so their breakage problems would disappear. The plexiglass case and wooden base/brass plate would be close enough for government work. They weren't receptive to either of these ideas. As I said before, if I could have gotten to talk to someone other then the Customer Service Department, maybe my ideas would not have fallen on deaf ears.

Oh well, enough complaining. I still love my lighthouses, ships, etc. and will continue to buy until I go broke or run out of room. I haven't figured out which will come first. But, in the meantime, Harbour Lights still continues to be one of the best buys in town and, in most cases, the nicest people to talk to.

Rich
Re: Keeping Everything The Same #107044 10/09/01 11:58 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
We now know about how much the glass case cost - about $75. So with AB's being so cheap on ebay, why not buy one for $75 and use it's display case for your Cutter?

Re: Keeping Everything The Same #107045 10/10/01 12:12 AM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S

Re: Keeping Everything The Same #107046 10/10/01 07:35 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Not a bad idea, JC. By the way it was great to see you in person again in Baltimore.

Just like the lighthouses, the AB's could be be rotated from storage to display, from display to storage. All you would need to do would be check which glass cover fits properly (they are different sizes), and then turn the base around so the name plate faces the wall. Then you would have a display case just like the other AB's have.

Bob

Re: Keeping Everything The Same #107047 10/10/01 01:14 PM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Already thought about buying an Anchor Bay from a dealer at clearance. The problem is the size of the 110 footer is longer then any of the existing cases. The only way to cover it is to have one made specially for it. Any one out their want to take the challenge and make some money?

Rich
Re: Keeping Everything The Same #107048 10/10/01 01:49 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
To case or not to case. There has been previous dicussion on this issue in other threads of the Anchor Bay forums, Coastie, prior to the release of the latest model.

I think this is a damned if you do, damned if you don't deal for Harbour Lights. The decision to eliminate the glass case appears to have been made in order to keep the price down as many collectors seemed to voice the opinion that price was a factor in their decision to not purchase these pieces.

Many dealers could not sell the pieces as they were and were forced to discontinue the line, offering their remaining stock at deeply discounted prices.

While it certainly appears that there are here present a number of collectors, like yourself, for whom the price issue was not a deterrent, overall sales, or non-sales, must have led to the decision to elimate the case.

As previously stated however, it seems that an optional case would have been the way to go for those who prefer them.

Of course many HL collectors simply don't collect the ships as well as the lighthouses case or no. Some, like myself, only have the lightships (some of them). Why, because they are (were) floating lighthouses and...because I was able to get them from a dealer at a greatly reduced price.

Yes, the cases make them special. A very classy way to display them but were enough folks willing to pay the higher price if "case included" were the only option? Apparently HL didn't think so.

Re: Keeping Everything The Same #107049 10/10/01 04:48 PM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
Imho there were three factors that caused Anchor Bay to stall.

1. Limited Editions and Open Editions introduced at the same time with only a brass plate and crew being the only real difference.

2. The introduction of fictional boats with the Younger Family's name applied. This implied that Harbour Light Collectors were the target market. Wrong assumption in my opinion. They certainly are a nautical item but it was not guaranteed that Lighthouse Collectors would have the money to start yet another collectible. The ships should stand on their own with their own market.

3. Price, biggest problem here is caused by the two above and yes the cost of the case added to it but the case was not the only problem. If there was a true market for them most collectors of ships are going to want a case to keep the dust off of them and to protect them and are willing to pay for it imho.

Cases might be a factor here but imho they are not the root cause for poor sales, with or without a case.

[This message has been edited by SThompson (edited 10-10-2001).]

Re: Keeping Everything The Same #107050 10/11/01 02:00 AM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
How about these two scenarios:

1. Instead of cutting back on the cost and sacrificing the glass case (G.C.). How about cutting back on the production and leaving the case. If the case makes the A.B. cost twice as much then, cutting the production in half (say 2,000) would create the same profits as 4,ooo Anchor Bay without the case. 4,000 x $75(A.B. without glass case) = 2,000 x $150(A.B. with glass case). (This of course is assuming that the profits are the same for the case as for the A.B. )
The low production number would sell faster and possibly create a demand. Creating a demand means more collectors wanting Anchor Bays .
And of course, a demand means that the next production could have a larger amount.

2. Or; Split the production in half. The first 2,000 would have glass cases. The second 2,000 would not. The auto shipments and low numbers would have the G.C. The collectors that have to have them first and the collectors that demand a low number (me) will buy the production with the case. The collector that is in no hurry but always looking for a deal (mombo), can wait for the second batch without case and costing half as much.

I feel that either of these two ideas would satisfy more collectors and possibly even make Harbour Lights more money.

Daniel

DANIEL
Re: Keeping Everything The Same #107051 10/11/01 01:26 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
I'm a poor example for your case 2 Daniel as I bought mine because they were lightships and had the case and were a good deal. But your idea is basically an adaptation of the "case optional".

Those expressing opinions here are just such a small percentage of the total AB collectors who know what the rest think of the case issue. Perhaps this last caseless offering is just an experiment by HL to see how sales go. If they don't sell any better without the case, who knows, maybe the line will be scrapped?

Re: Keeping Everything The Same #107052 10/11/01 03:13 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
I wasn't going to collect Anchor Bay, then I won the Huron Lightship at the Providence Reunion in 1998. Then I needed another to balance them off on my mantle. Then I found a few good buys on AB's and bought them. Yesterday, I ordered the Columbia and the Portsmouth Lightships. When they are delivered, I will have all the AB's in my collection. And yes, I ordered the latest release by Anchor Bay.

So there you have it. I wasn't going to collect AB's and soon I will have them all.

Bob

Re: Keeping Everything The Same #107053 10/13/01 12:20 PM
anniemac Offline
We have many of the Anchor Bays also - and I like the case - easier to dust!!!

A thought on getting a good case - without making the whole thing - is a model TRAIN store (or website)...they have several sizes and varied quality, but it may be adaptable! (I haven't tried and don't plan on getting the new AB yet - so just a THOUGHT!)

Re: Keeping Everything The Same #107054 10/14/01 04:21 PM
Lightseeker Offline
Wacko
Wacko
At a model train show yesterday, I saw a vendor who sell cases similar to the AB cases for model trains. Typical sizes were 9x3x3, 13x3x3, 17x4x4. Prices for those ranged from $16.95 to 31.95. The bases won't exactly match AB and the back isn't mirrored, but they may be better than nothing.

The company is BK KASES and their website is www.bkkases.com. They don't list the individual cases on their website, only their shelf units, so you'd have to e-mail them if you wanted info on the single-model units. Who knows, they might be willing to do a custom size for a reasonable price.

Bruce

Re: Keeping Everything The Same #107055 10/17/01 09:51 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
As of Monday, 10-15-01, my Anchor Bay Collection is now complete. I particularly like the Portsmouth Lightship (I just bought the Portsmouth and the Columbia). It is exceptionally well done. Besides that, I'm partial to red.

There are plenty of Anchor Bay bargains out there and these boats can be had for a very reasonable price. They also look great on display. Don't miss out on a chance to add these wonderful pieces to your collection.

Bob

Re: Keeping Everything The Same #107056 10/17/01 10:56 PM
Dick Johnson Offline
I also wasn't going to collect any of the Anchor Bay ships, but after I got one, one thing lead to another and I now have them all. Although I would like to have a case that will be consistent with the other cases, I had resigned myself to creating a case myself to match. I am an amateur carpenter and so recreating this will be easy, although probably not identical. The one thing that I will have trouble with is the plaque. I might offer several levels of ideas that may help, but remember each would add a cost.

First include the plaque. This is the hardest to recreate like the other.

Second include an unfinished base. Creating the glass is realativly easy.

Third include the actual case. I would be willing to pay extra for it, and would even be willing to wait if it was a special order.

Fourth if none of the above can be done, line up a vendor that will do the work on a per order basis and give out the information and cost with the ship.

As I said I was not a "ship" person till I saw the product. I would hate to have the quality lowered just because some are afraid to pay the price. After all what is the purpose of collecting limited editions, other than paying the cost of supply and demand for a quality product.

Re: Keeping Everything The Same #107057 10/21/01 09:49 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
I don't think we've seen the last of Anchor Bay. The latest issue without the case will lead to future releases of more models of actual boats. I'm sure Harbour Lights will monitor the sales progress of the new more inexpensive offering from the Anchor Bay line. If itsells well, there will be many more in the future.

Bob

Re: Keeping Everything The Same #107058 11/06/01 05:36 PM
E
EGRsailor Offline
E
Quote:
Originally posted by flacoastie:
I made a statement when I first joined the CF that I wouldn't post too often and then it would be something that I felt was important.
I am a creature of habit and when I collect something I go all out. I have all the Anchor Bays so far that are lightships and the CG 44 footer. They all have glass cases and are on top of my curio cabinets holding my lighthouses. Now Harbour Lights goes and changes success. They are bring out a 110 footer and guess what, no GLASS CASE!!!
I don't mind them selling the 110 Footer without the case. Some collectors want it this way, but, why don't they make a case optional for the collectors that want one??? I have tried calling customer service on this option but only get the run around instead of the one-on-one service that I use to get. None of the ladies on the switchboard seem to care anymore except Debbie and Donna. When you call you get the feeling that they are doing you a favor even talking to you. I have tried talking to Kim or Bill on this subject but can't get past the switchboard or customer service.
I would be willing to pay a good price for this optional Glass case but they say they had too much breakage. I suggested a plexiglass top in the same shape with the same type wooden base on the other anchor bays and was told they had no demand for this case. Ho could they know if they had a demand if they won't let you talk to anyone who cares.
Is anyone else having this problem. Does anyone else want a case or am I the only one. I guess I have to make a case myself if no one at Harbour Lights wants to listen to the collector in the field. Maybe all there interested in now days is exclusives for their big dealers and not interested in the individual who spends $1000 to $2000 dollars a year buying from their smaller dealers.
Maybe if there is enough interest in the glass/plexiglass case in this posting, Harbour Lights may see this or maybe John can pass this on to them. I will still buy the 110 footer (case or no case) but it sure won't look the same to me.

Re: Keeping Everything The Same #107059 11/06/01 09:33 PM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Well, what a surprise I had when I received the 110 footer in the mail today from my dealer. I CAREFULLY unpacked the cutter and examined it and it was perfect. What detail! Almost makes me want to ship over except I don't think the Coast Guard has enough money in their budget to make a uniform that will fit me.

Now to my surprise. If you take the cutter and turn it a little to the port or starboard (that left or right for you landlubbers) the piece fits perfectly on the base and under the glass of the Chesapeake,Huron,Portsmouth or 44 footer.

Guess I'll be calling and looking around for a half price special at one of the dealers around central Florida. All the concern for nothing. Harbour Lights never ceases to amaze me. They probably knew it all along and just wanted me to suffer.

Rich

Rich
Re: Keeping Everything The Same #107060 11/23/01 09:45 PM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Just wanted to let all concerned know, I got my open edition Chesapeake today that was ordered from a dealer that was selling them out at 1/2 price. Cleaned the glass up and put the 110' cutter on the Chesapeake base and covered it with the Cheasapeake glass. It looks great and "makes everything the same" except for the brass plaque that reads Chesapeake. I guess you can't have it all.

Rich

Rich
Re: Keeping Everything The Same #107061 12/08/01 12:01 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
I would imagine Harbour Lights still has some glass cases and bases hanging around the warehouse. Maybe they should offer them for sale to be used with the Tybee and future AB's. I know I would buy one to put my Tybee in.

I feel strongly that the cases should be an optional purchase and not factored in to the price of buying future AB's. This would allow collectors to buy the AB's for a more reasonable price if they didn't want the case.

Bob

Re: Keeping Everything The Same #107062 12/08/01 04:32 PM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Harbour lights do not have extras to sell is what I was informed by Debbie. The only extras that they have are for dealer breakage. As I was calling around for a 1/2 AB I talked to Scan Trends in San Francisco and they said that they had the phone number for the glass case manufacturer should I not be able to come up with a 1/2 AB. I didn't need it though as I found one at half price in Jacksonville, FL.

Rich

Rich

Moderated by  flacoastie 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Rock), 1,342 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users