Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Lightship PORTSMOUTH #107030 12/11/98 10:05 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
The last of the 1998 issues for Anchor Bay has arrived - the Lightship PORTSMOUTH.

This vessel is LV101 and WAL 524 and served on the following stations: Cape Charles, Stonehorse, Overfalls, and as a Relief.

While it never actually served a station named "Portsmouth" it serves today as a museum at the City of Portsmouth.

The Anchor Bay model is very well done - Bright red, of course (the HURON was the only black lightship to serve). The water is unique with the ship underway as the bow is raising a wake that ripples down the sides.

The shape of the Portsmouth is very rounded, What may be known as a "whaleback". I'm told it was so-designed to shed water as waves broke over.

A crew of 4 Coasties enhance the ship. Even if you are not an Anchor Bay collector, you should consider one or more of the Anchor Bay Lightships. This one is handsome.

The new packaging for Anchor Bay is a marvel - what it should have been all along. The ship is placed in a syrofoam fitted box which slips inside the glass case which in term fits into another styrofoam box that also accomodates the wooden base. Overall box size is about the size of two old style HL boxes side-by-side.

Price is $170 for this limited edition of 4,000 pieces. The bottom label carries the hand-written number and a brass plaque for the book base also has the number engraved.

Depending on your curio space, this will fit in very nicely without the glass protection and has the footprint of a typical Harbour Lights lighthouse.

[This message has been edited by JChidester (edited 12-11-98).]

Re: Lightship PORTSMOUTH #107031 03/07/00 02:11 AM
R
RMau Offline
Wacko
Wacko
R
I picked up the book "Forgotten Beacons:The Lost Lighthouses of the Chesapeake Bay" on a trip earlier this year. Finally got a chance to read it. Not only did LV101 not serve on a Portsmouth station, there was no Portsmouth station. The caption of a picture of the vessel says "...the name was painted on her hull by the museum to impart a sense of place."

There are some wonderful pictures of the lightships of the Chesapeake as well as the tenders and 'bouy boats' of the service fleet. If Anchor Bay issues one of these ships, I might have to get my second AB!

The book is by Patrick Hornberger and Linda Turbyville. Good reading.

Rick

Re: Lightship PORTSMOUTH #107032 03/07/00 11:38 AM
Brent Offline
Thanks John & Rick, for the information. I've been considering the purchase for awhile but after seeing that photo I've made up my mind to get one. We are proud of her, here, in Virginia...however, I wish that the City of Portsmouth would give some new consideration toward relocating the "real thing" to a more prominent location. "She" deserves better!

Brent
OBLHS Charter Member

Moderated by  flacoastie 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (DANIEL, Rock), 1,681 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users