Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Have the Anchor Bay Ships set sail into the Abyss #106361 09/25/99 11:11 AM
G
gary0920 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I had always admired the Anchor Bay Ships, but because of their cost had never purchased one. When I found them at half price, I bought the Lightships. Then I liked them so much I went back and bought the rest of the ships. They are all spectacular and I find myself admiring them as much as my lighthouses. Just wondering what the speculation on the line surviving and continuing on is. I know that the Coast Guard Ship is due out, but will that be the end? Are there serious Anchor Bay Collectors out there? Speak now, this thread doesn't see much action.

------------------

Gary
Re: Have the Anchor Bay Ships set sail into the Abyss #106362 09/29/99 06:06 PM
K
Kevin Offline
K
I wouldn't call myself a "serious" Anchor Bay collector, but I do like a few of them almost as much as my absolute favorite Harbour Lights. I own 3 Anchor Bay ships (all lightships) and would buy more IF the line ever gets it act together and produces creative and detailed replicas of some FAMOUS ships (e.g., Edmund Fitzgerald), rather than generic replicas of types of ships (e.g., a tugboat).

Re: Have the Anchor Bay Ships set sail into the Abyss #106363 09/29/99 10:04 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Anchor Bay is here to stay,
the line will never die!
It was meant to be that way,
but I don't know why!
I don't care what people say,
Anchor Bay is here to stay!

Have I got you humming the tune yet? The words have changed but the tune is the same.

I was not going to collect ABs but after I won the LS Huron at the 98 Reunion, I bought the LS Chesapeake to balance it off. Then when ABs were being discounted by dealers dropping the line, I bought more. Now I'm only missing the Columbia and the Portsmouth, and of course, the USCG 44 Life Boat.

I do have one problem with one of them that came through damaged (Tori Dawn). The glass case is broken, the mast is bent, the mast stay has been dislodged, and the two ladders are bent. It looks like it may have gone through Hurricane Floyd. I'm waiting to hear from the dealer so I can figure out what is going to be done.

I agree with Kevin that future ABs should be of actual boats. I would also like to see the retail price drop a little more to around $100-$110. I feel they will sell better if those conditions were met.

Bob

Re: Have the Anchor Bay Ships set sail into the Abyss #106364 09/29/99 11:21 PM
A
AlanBeckman Offline
A
I have all the Anchor Bay Ships and intend to collect them all as they are released. The move from the open editions was a great step. Getting away from generic ships and concetrating on real ships with a unique history was another.

I have the Chesapeake in the cabinet with my HLs but the rest are in my den on a bookshelf. I was looking at them this past weekend and felt that they really look good when there a lot of them together (That's called a fleet).

The AB sculptures are more expensive but with the glass case, you don't need an expensive curio cabinet which can add $15-$20 to the price of each lighthouse depending on the cost of the cabinet and how many pieces you put in it. A lower price would be welcome but if there is a choice keep up the quality. Perhaps with improved technology BY&A can do both.

AB in Ala-Bam where we are finally getting some rain.

Re: Have the Anchor Bay Ships set sail into the Abyss #106365 09/30/99 08:52 PM
J
Jazzer Offline
J
AB is great !
I mean what can you say when asked
why do we have LH to begin with ?
would'nt be much out there to guide
without the boats and the wales
shure don't need them .

Lonnie

Moderated by  flacoastie 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,055 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users