Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Coast Guard History Quiz #105892 04/22/04 10:12 PM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Just thought that I would add a little quiz about how the Coast Guard came to have "Racing Stripes". You "Coasties" out there should not try and answer these questions as you probably already know and should'nt let on to others. There will be several questions so please answer them in the order asked. Let's see if there are any Forum Members that have the knowledge or know how to find this information out.

Question #1: What was the 1st Coast Guard Cutter to have "Racing Stripes?

Question #2: What was the Hull Number and "nickname" of this Coast Guard Cutter?

Question #3: What was the length of this Cutter and why was it this long?

Question #4: When was this Coast Guard Cutter striped this way?

Question #5: What was the reason this Coast Guard Cutter was striped this way?

Question #6: Where was this Coast Guard Cutter homeported at?

Question #7: What was the reason the Coast Guard eventually "striped" all their cutters, boats and aircraft this way?

Rich
Re: Coast Guard History Quiz #105893 04/22/04 11:48 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
I found a year, 1967. Would that be the answer to Question #4????

Re: Coast Guard History Quiz #105894 04/23/04 12:33 AM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Mombo, Wrong answer. That is when the rest of the Coast Guard's Cutters had the racing stripes put on.

Rich
Re: Coast Guard History Quiz #105895 04/23/04 01:40 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
1. ANDROSCOGGIN
2. WPG/WHEC-68 nickname Andy
3. 255' Read why here . Sounds like reason essentially was a typical government Charlie Foxtrot.
4. Guess 1966/ However, pics on the USCG web site show ship with a stripe, and are titled "The Andy on Echo Patrol in the summer of 1965."
5. One explaination is that it was one of the "test models" another version is because of participation in movie "Assualt on a Queen". CG web site contains no real explaination.
6. Miami
7. Most common heory I have read is for identity. A related theory can be found here .

This is excerpt from a post by "USCGCWO" which can be found here
Quote:
The Andy was the first ship in the Cg to get the hull adornment. I Remember it as I was stationed at the "Yard" at the time. It was quite different than the final version. I think it was red and blue. There were originally three designs to be evaluated. By the time the Hamilton came up from Avondale the current version had been chosen and the 378's were having it "welded" to the hull down there. That was 1967. Seems to me that the Andy stayed at Curtis Bay for quite a long time having a lot of work done. Mostly I remember that all the Chiefs from her were very adept at beer consumption. The Andy left for Miami in 1967 to the best of my recollection. Honestly don't remember the other ships that got the stripes for the trial period, which didn't last long as today's version was selected rather quickly.

Re: Coast Guard History Quiz #105896 04/23/04 08:38 AM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Outstanding research Dave! You are right on all questions except the "real" nickname that the "Andy" crew used. The Andy was lovingly referred to as the "Florida Penal Colony"(if you screwed up and were stationed in the 7th Coast Guard District they sent you to the Andy) or "Galloping Ghost of the Florida Coast"(1967-68 Viet Nam Deployment Insiginia). She was painted with the "Racing Stripe" in 1965 for the Movie "Assault on a Queen" being shot in 1965 and released in 1966. The true scuttlebutt for the reason was the Andy steaming towards the cameras was not highly visable due to the white hull against the white cap waves. The movie people suggested the "Racing Stripes" to make the Andy stand out better. The Andy was designed to be a "355 FT" Cutter, but, scuttlebutt has it because of the war time drain on the budget, they cut(shrunk the actual design) to 255 FT and built the entire 255 FT Class of Cutters this way. The 255 FT Class of cutter was one of the strongest designs because there was a frame every foot because of the design shrinkage and this made the 255 FT Class excellent for light icebreaker work.

This is all "gallery gossip" and spending a year and a half on the Andy during our Viet Nam deployment gave us plenty of time to get this gossip. Buy the way, there were still many crewmembers on board for our 1967-68 Nam deployment that actually participated in the "Assault on a Queen" movie as "extras" so the scuttlebutt about the "racing Stripe" should be gospal.

Rich
Re: Coast Guard History Quiz #105897 04/23/04 01:11 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
The CG web site provides some thoughts as to why this ship class was "shrunk". There is also a link to a memo from a somewhat unhappy CO of one of the 255's which may explain part of the Penal Colony concept. From the tone of his letter, any underway time had to be a real treat in this class ship.

Moderated by  flacoastie 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,041 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users