Next Thread
Print Thread
Glass Cases for your HP ships and Relief #105823 11/28/04 09:34 PM
Bob Ott Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Howdy fellow WACKOS,

I’ve got some great news! Like many of you, I’ve been in a quandary over the lack of glass cases for the newer Anchor Bay ships and the Relief. I attempted to follow Rich’s plans to make my own, and that unfortunately turned out to be a discouraging dismal disaster.

After searching high, low and in between for a suitable supplier, I finally was able to locate a craftsman who was willing to give it a try. As a test case, I sent him Rich’s dimensions and asked for seven cases:

Barque Eagle
George Cobb
Relief
Nantucket
31’ UTB
110’ Tybee
Rigid Hull Inflatable

They arrived yesterday – and they are fantastic! The wooden bases are oak instead of the dark brown ones from Harbour Lights, which have a maple or mahogany color. According to the craftsman, using maple or mahogany would significantly increase the cost of each piece. The bottoms of the bases are padded to protect your furniture.

If you wish to have the brass plates you will have to still go through Rich at flacoastie@worldnet.att.net . But there will not be a flat portion on the edge of the wood base like you have seen in the earlier Anchor Bays – again because it would increase the cost. I intend to put my brass plates at the bottom of the glass.

There is no need to worry about shipping. The craftsman made the shipping container out of wood and particle board. A Phillips head screw driver is required to get the shipping case open. And the glass cases were superbly packed inside with Styrofoam.

NOW FOR THE PRICE -- $32.50 plus $9.95 S/H & INS per case. The glass cases have a mirror back, double strength glass, and ¾ inch oak bases. Such a deal? I’m more than happy with mine. Ecstatic actually. Should you wish to order, let me know at bahbaht@aol.com -- I’ll be happy to work with you as the intermediary. I receive nothing – not even free glass cases. Let me know. My problem has been solved beyond my wildest expectations.

bobo

Re: Glass Cases for your HP ships and Relief #105824 11/29/04 01:31 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Photos, Bob; we want photos!

Sounds like you did a great deal of research and found the right craftsman to do the job at a great price.

The bases of the actual AB cases were made from cast resin. Perhaps your guy could make them out of a cheaper wood and stain them to match the AB bases.

Re: Glass Cases for your HP ships and Relief #105825 11/29/04 09:05 AM
Bob Ott Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
John,

I'll post some photos as soon as my next door neighbor gets back from London. He borrowed my camera for his trip and will return next weekend.

I already asked the craftsman to try staining a sample of the wood base. He tried, but reported that the results in his opinion were unsatisfactory. Maybe individual collectors could experiment a little on the bottoms? I'll give it a shot with mine and see what it looks like. Any suggestions on the type of stain to use?

bobo

Re: Glass Cases for your HP ships and Relief #105826 11/29/04 09:20 PM
Bill and Judy Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Hi Bob,

We would like one for the Eagle and one for the Relief. The price is definitely right compared to the quote I was given around here. I'm trusting in your good judgement since I haven't seen them yet!!

Thanks,
Judy

Re: Glass Cases for your HP ships and Relief #105827 11/29/04 10:02 PM
Bob Ott Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Judy,

Thank you for your trust. It makes me feel good. I'll post pictures as soon as I get my camera back this weekend.

I honestly believe that you will like what you see.

bobo

Re: Glass Cases for your HP ships and Relief #105828 11/29/04 10:15 PM
Bob Ott Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Hi Everyone,

There have been questions about the possibility of getting the wood base in a darker walnut color. The craftsman reiterated that staining was not a viable option. He/she tried.

But she/he was going to check today relative to the availability of walnut. However, that will increase the cost of the case, since walnut is so much more expensive. He'll(She'll) get back to me tomorrow.

According to John, the original Harbour Light bases are actually cast resin -- so it will never be exact using wood.

Will keep you posted.

bobo

After thought: I never realized how difficult it is to refer to someone in the third person without reference to gender.

Re: Glass Cases for your HP ships and Relief #105829 11/29/04 10:21 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Ott:
After thought: I never realized how difficult it is to refer to someone in the third person without reference to gender.
How about "they"? Though that seems a little impersonal...hey, you're right!

Re: Glass Cases for your HP ships and Relief #105830 11/29/04 10:33 PM
Bob Ott Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Greg,

Thanks for the input. I don’t know if you meant to be humorous or not, but I haven’t laughed this much in a long time.

bobo

Re: Glass Cases for your HP ships and Relief #105831 11/29/04 11:18 PM
Bob Ott Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
More Glass Case Info,

Just received Email from the craftsperson.

Quote:
MY SUPPLIER HAS MAPLE-RED MOHOGANY-CHERRY AND WALNUT.
This means that you now have additional choices over and above oak. That's the good news. The bad news is that the price will increase by $5.00 per case for anything other than oak.

bobo

Re: Glass Cases for your HP ships and Relief #105832 11/29/04 11:18 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Uuuh...humour? confused 'Splain to me, as Ricky Ricardo would say. smile

Re: Glass Cases for your HP ships and Relief #105833 11/29/04 11:22 PM
Bob Ott Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Quote:
How about "they"? Though that seems a little impersonal...hey, you're right!
Greg,

It was your 180 degree reversal in one thought pattern. It's done a lot in comedy routines.

bobo

Re: Glass Cases for your HP ships and Relief #105834 11/30/04 03:21 PM
Bob Ott Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Just to clarify,

There were some questions about my earlier post pertaining to your choice of wood bases.
Quote:
MY SUPPLIER HAS MAPLE-RED MOHOGANY-CHERRY AND WALNUT.
The craftsperson just got back to me and your choices are:
Quote:
MAPLE
RED MOHOGANY
CHERRY
WALNUT
Keep in mind the above choices of wood will cost an additional $5.00. The price of the oak bases will remain the same at $32.50. My Email address is bahbaht@aol.com

bobo

Re: Glass Cases for your HP ships and Relief #105835 12/03/04 01:24 AM
Bob Ott Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Pictures you want -- pictures you get (sort of).

Please excuse the lack of expertise by the camerman.

The ship shrank. Actually I tried washing the ship in the dishwasher like John did, but the water was too hot. Just Kidding. I wanted to concentrate on case and the base, not the ship.

bobo

Re: Glass Cases for your HP ships and Relief #105836 12/03/04 11:29 AM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Excellent pictures and great looking case. I feel the product is well worth the $32.00. I personally feel the mahogoney or walnut base will set the ship off better and would be worth the extra $5.00. That's only my personal opinion because I'm not a great "oak" fan even though my den is filled with it. I know if I wasn't able to make my own I would jump at the oportunity to buy them.

Rich
Re: Glass Cases for your HP ships and Relief #105837 12/03/04 05:46 PM
Bob Ott Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Trying on my own,

I DID IT! But profound thanks to all the folks who spent thousands of hours trying to help me get to this point.

Re: Glass Cases for your HP ships and Relief #105838 12/10/04 09:09 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Thanks to the great directions from Rich (flacoastie), I finally finished my glass case for the Eagle. The base is 7 x 13 1/2 and the galss case itself is 5 1/2 W x 12 L x 7 3/4 H. The Eagle is a rather large AB.

The case by itself.

With the Eagle. Notice that great plate that Rich had made for me.

Thanks Rich, the instruction were great. The only thing I couldn't find is the Hysol 151.

Bert smile

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: Glass Cases for your HP ships and Relief #105839 12/10/04 09:59 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Outstanding Job Bert!! It always gives you a feeling of accomplishment when you attempt a project like that. Ok Bert, don't you have some more to work on now? Now that you've done the first the rest of them will be a piece of cake. The Hysol 151 was just a fast setting epoxy to hold the glass together when you were filling in with the black rubber RTV. Any fast setting epoxy can be used.

Rich
Re: Glass Cases for your HP ships and Relief #105840 12/10/04 11:33 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Aint' these forums great!

Re: Glass Cases for your HP ships and Relief #105841 12/11/04 12:02 AM
sandy Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Bob,

Use s/he, s/he'll.

Sandy

Re: Glass Cases for your HP ships and Relief #105842 12/11/04 01:39 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Great job Bert. And, thanks Rich for writing and sharing the instructions on how to.

Between what you two have done and Bob's craftsperson has created, there are some nice looking cases out there.

Re: Glass Cases for your HP ships and Relief #105843 12/11/04 09:49 AM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
And the great thing that we have here is for someone like Bert that's handy with tools the case can be made and for someone like "superglue" bobo the case can be bought. Now no one has an excuse not to have a case and the people that didn't want cases can have there wish also. Ain't life and the Florida Gators great?

Rich
Re: Glass Cases for your HP ships and Relief #105844 12/11/04 11:34 AM
Bob Ott Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Sandy,

Quote:
Use s/he, s/he'll.
Never thought of trying that. Thank You.

bobo

Re: Glass Cases for your HP ships and Relief #105845 12/18/04 11:24 PM
Bob Ott Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Thank you, Bill and Judy, for your kind words of support regarding the Glass Cases that you received. It took a long time to find a craftsperson who would measure up to the strict standards of the Harbour Lights collectors. And even then I was reluctant to mention it to anyone until I was absolutely satisfied with the product.

Quote:
Just want to let everybody know that the glass cases for the Relief and Eagle arrived today. They came in a wooden box nailed and screwed together with an abundant amount of form/rubber protecting the cases. They were fully intact--no breakage.

The quality of the glass cases is very good and we have no qualms about recommending them. The price is super great for what you receive. Our collectible store in town would have charged more for one then we paid for two.

Thanks, Bob, for helping us locate the display cases.

Judy and Bill
The other collectors who ordered cases should receive yours shortly.

bobo

Re: Glass Cases for your HP ships and Relief #105846 12/23/04 12:39 AM
kory63 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
What a week: things get straightened out w/WackyWilly, yesterday my glass case arrives fot "Eagle" and today my "Eagle" plate arrives. Gosh it must be Christmas or something!
Gotta agree w/Bill & Judy, the case is outstanding!! The price can't be beat! I could never have made one as nice even following Rich's excellent directions. The packaging must have cost as much as the case itself. Bobo, DO NOT loose the address of this man!!!
The nameplate is also impressive and will add to an exceelent AB and case. My only concern is where to actually place it on the case. I guess I will be using scotch tape for awhile experementing where to affix it permenantly. THANKS Rich.
Everything impresses me so much I am sorry that I do not have the ability to take a picture to post here.
One final excellent effort to both Bob and Rich.
Rick laugh laugh laugh

Re: Glass Cases for your HP ships and Relief #105847 12/23/04 01:10 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
I have only two AB's, the Chesapeake and the Huron Lightships. Currently I have "stolen" one of the glass cases for my Sisters Island AP which is, of course, a special piece to me. I've got the base turned around and the Sisters' tent card stuck between the bottom of the glass and the base.

In addition I've got my Bailey's Harbor Range set in one of those cheap plastic cases from the local craft store, which works but it is kind of cheesy looking. This set is also special as it's a reminder of a great weekend spent with lots of Wacko friends in Door County last May.

I may just take advantage of Bobo's supplier to have some cases made for these pieces. As long as he can make them to order it could be a nice way to highlight pieces that are special to you, not just AB's! smile

Re: Glass Cases for your HP ships and Relief #105848 12/23/04 10:03 AM
Bob Ott Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
mombo,

Just send me the Name and Issue Number of the lighthouse and the type of wood base you want, and my supplier will make it for you. Each case is made individually without a set pattern according to required specifications.

I had one made for Wind Point, because I grew up in Racine, Wisconsin, and it was the first lighthouse I ever purchased. I had intended to give it to my sister-in-law for Christmas many years ago. She never got it.

bobo

Re: Glass Cases for your HP ships and Relief #105849 12/05/05 11:15 AM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
I am resurfacing this so members can see the cases that BoBo has made that are VERY resonably priced.

Rich
Re: Glass Cases for your HP ships and Relief #105850 12/05/05 08:21 PM
beachcomber Offline
Is there a problem that a CF member can't solve?! You guys are great!! Bert, your cases are beautiful and I'll bet that Bobo's supplier could make some type of display for any special HL model which should have a really great case - Cheboygan Crib and/or Erie Land Light come to mind.

beachcomber
Re: Glass Cases for your HP ships and Relief #105851 07/08/06 05:37 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
I'm bringing this to the top again as the arrival of the Mackinaw drawers near. There may be some changes to the cost of the cases that Bob Ott orders so contact Bob for the latest prices.

Rich
Re: Glass Cases for your HP ships and Relief #105852 07/08/06 07:59 PM
Brindfan Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Such a resourceful group on this forum. smile

Re: Glass Cases for your HP ships and Relief #105853 12/22/06 07:04 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
This is being resurfaced to show you what the cases look like that Bob Ott(bobo) orders and what the Eagle's case looks like that MTNHKR made from my direction.

Rich
Re: Glass Cases for your HP ships and Relief #105854 12/29/06 10:20 PM
BeaconBob Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I am making a case with Rich's specifications for the AB USCG Eagle. With Rich's measurements, I noticed that the ship will only fit in the case from corner to corner diagonally (which is fine with me) but be advised that Bert's rendition allows for the ship to be positioned from side to side and therefore the glass is longer in length.
I'll let you know how I make out. I am having trouble finding a pre-cut base to fit so now I need to find a router to dress up the piece of wood I cut. So far, it is turning out pretty well.
I have had to make some minor adjustments in how I assembled the back mirror but that is just a rookie doing this type of thing for the first time. NOTE: Don't put the mirror on the back incorrectly. Make sure you line up the sides so that the back isn't wider than the front of case like I did. I managed to remove the back/mirror before it fully cured and I was able to correct the error. smile ALL better now!

Bob J ~ 65 Lighthouses, 2 Lightships, 25 Life Saving Stations Visited ~
"I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
John 8:12
Re: Glass Cases for your HP ships and Relief #105855 12/29/06 10:35 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Bob - You are correct in the fact that the Eagle will fit under the glass case from front corner to back corner and not side to side using my dimensions. I mentioned this fact about halfway through the instructions under materials needed. This is because I based the dimension on a pre-existing wooden base from a AB Chesapeake base. I bought many extra Chesapeake/Huron ships and cases and have been using the bases for other Anchor Bays. The dimensions are not in concrete depending on what type of base you use. MTNHKR made his own base and modified the dimensions to match his base dimensions.

Rich

Moderated by  flacoastie 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,420 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users