Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
How many would buy them? #105716 01/08/03 08:29 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
If Harbour Lights offered the base and glass case as an option for those current and future Anchor Bay releases, would you buy them?

What would you be willing to pay?

Would you also pay extra for a custom brass tag?

Inquiring minds from the east coast, where the snow never gets dirty because we keep getting a couple of inches more every other night, would like to know.

confused Bob confused

Re: How many would buy them? #105717 01/08/03 05:47 PM
Rrronne Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I would buy cases for my Anchor Bays and would pay extra for a brass name tag. I would be willing to go to $40.00 for a case.

Randall Ronne
President - Colorado Lighthouse Collectors Society
New Dungeness Light Station Association
Re: How many would buy them? #105718 01/08/03 08:41 PM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
I have always wanted cases. There is to much detail that gets dusty without a case. They get dusty even when they are displayed in a display cabinet. It was a bummer when Harbour Lights decided to remove the cases. I would like to see cases provided for again for Anchor Bay. Unfortunately they will probably be at a higher cost now that Harbour Lights would be purchasing fewer cases, and they would also now require seperate packaging. All of this would probably elimnate me from purchasing something that I once had and now can't afford. frown

Re: How many would buy them? #105719 01/08/03 09:48 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
This is a dead subject as far as I'm concerned. About a year ago I brought this subject up and also called Harbour Lights. I asked them if they were ever going to consider selling the cases separate and they gave a flat NO. They said the cases were too hard to ship and the damage would be too great. They also said the cost of the cases would be too much and it would not make it profitable to carry the cases and that they would have no idea how many to make. I suggested making a thousand for each new Anchor Bay. This would allow the buyer that wanted one to order direct from HL. The buyer could furnish his (or her) serial number and HL could simply stamp the number into a pre-made brass plate. They said it would still not be profitable to stock a 1000 cases until they were sold. I then suggested taking special orders for the cases until they had a set amount and then they could have them made(along with the serialized plate) and have the manufacturer ship them direct to the collector and again they nixed it. The forum members responded with little enthusiam and I just gave up on the subject and chaulked it up as just a few collectors interested.

I then went out and bought 7 open edition Cheasapeake and Huron AB ships (all at 50% off) and sold the AB models on the Forums for $25.00 each. This left me 7 cases costing me roughly $50.00 ea. I took the brass plates off the cases and took one of the brass plates to a local trophy shop and for $15.00 they duplicated the artwork for the brass plate by laser etching the insignia. When I need a brass plate I take the information to them (ie, USCG, 41 Foot Utility Boat, 112/4000) and they make a plate for me for $12.00 ea. I've done this for the 110' WPB, 41' UTB and the Rigid Hull Inflatable. They sit there looking like they came straight from Harbour Lights and match the early edition glass cases perfectly.

If anybody out there wants a brass plate made for any of the AB that did not come with a brass plate, contact me and I'll arrange to have one made for you. All you have to do is send me $12.00 and I'll have it made and send it to you. If you want to have all three made at one time it would make it easier to handle. You will be impressed with the plate and then all you have to do is get your cases. Anchor Bays are quite easy to find at 50% off.

Now to answer the question "would you be interested in buying from Harbour Lights a glass case and brass plate"? Only if the case and plate were to cost less then $60.00 and that would have to include shipping/handling.

Rich cool

Rich
Re: How many would buy them? #105720 01/09/03 01:24 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I wonder if the breakable part (glass top with mirrored back) could be replaced with something like a lexan dome? Do we really need the mirror? My priority would be to keep the dust off the piece. How about you?

smile Bob smile

Re: How many would buy them? #105721 01/09/03 01:59 AM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
Yes, I would like an optional Display case.
Wouldn’t want to pay more for the case than the figurine.
Maybe the whole display case could be Lexan.
This should make the whole case half the price of the glass ones.
Also the case could be a universal size fitting all A.B.
Maybe two universal sizes would be better.
This way HL wouldn’t have to worry about how much to order. Just keep a supply on hand and it could be used for the next AB or even a model that already was made without a case.
Brass plate isn’t necessary. We can go to Rich if one is needed. laugh
I still would like to see the first 1000 lightships come with there own glass case and be a L.E. special edition. The next 2000 could come without a case.

DANIEL
Re: How many would buy them? #105722 01/10/03 04:41 PM
Bill Harnsberger Offline
Regardless of what Harbour Lights says, the answer to the general question, "Should you get a display case for your Anchor Bay ships?" is, for me, an unqualified YES.

I just cleaned my Anchor Bay cases this past weekend.

The dust that accumulates on them is amazing, and to think that all that dust would be settling on the sculptures themselves is frightening. The ships, with their tiny parts and especially the rigging, are incredibly fragile. There's no way I'd be able to clean them effectively, even with the most delicate brush.

I am very thankful for those cases.

And I'll say this: after a fresh cleaning, they look spectacular. I'm really glad I bought the two I have (Chesapeake & Huron).

P.S.: On one of my cases, the rubber molding between one of the seams was peeling off (yikes). I used a little Elmers Glue to stick it back. I hope it's not a sign of things to come on a widespread basis. Anyone else noticing this?

Moderated by  flacoastie 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Rock), 1,446 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users