Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
St. Clair Flats South Channel Range Lights #105479 04/26/03 01:33 AM
mombo Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Whew, that's some long title! These lights also arrived today along with SE Block.

Let's see what's to like and what's not to like with this pair.

First of all the smaller, front range light is just too small. Or the larger, rear range light is too big. The actual rear range light is roughly twice the size of the small light. If the purpose of making the front light so small was to save on the gold, then they should have made the rear light smaller, in order to accurately depict these lights.

There is not a lot of ornamentation on this pair but then these lights are not land based lights so we shouldn't be expecting trees, picnic tables and the like.

The larger light is quite severe looking with it's grey brick. No windows open, no curtains flapping in the breeze. There are a few flowers, but they are in such an obscure place, they really aren't very noticible. But being a fan of non-white lighthouses, I like it! The sides and deck of the base are wooden, well not real wood, but very nicely done. There's a boat in the water but I don't see any evidence of a rope so I wonder how it stays put. There are a couple of overhanging sheds on the piece and one of them has an open door. Could there be something inside? Well if you have the right sort of mirror you can find out. The kind your dentist uses to check your teeth works. If we didn't have one of these I sure don't know how else you could see inside the shed. The chimneys are really nice but the elongated ventilator ball on mine is just a bit sloppy looking. Looking at photos of this light from years past I don't really see that it was that tall?

The the wee front range light features 5 ladders, one of which is leaning up against the attached building as there are signs of a roof repair in progress. This piece has a boat similar to the rear range light but this one's secured with a rope to one of the many posts which surround the wooden base. How HL can produce a rope so tiny is incredible! The flag on this smaller light of the pair is actually larger than that on the larger light. It is so large that it covers the bottom half of the wooden base of the light where it's placed.

OK, that's what I've observed. Will be interested to hear what everyone else thinks of this set. Overall I like them quite a bit, just the size thing bugs me.

These lights were packaged together in one box with no provisions for easy signing. BY must have been distracted when he signed mine as his sharpie also seems to have drawn a few lines on the plastic bag of the larger piece. smile

Re: St. Clair Flats South Channel Range Lights #105480 04/27/03 01:47 PM
Randy Kremer Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I'm looking forward to getting this set, but I'll probably wait until Nancy comes to town in Oct! Nice description of the set, Sue!

Are you giving Bill some competition? wink wink wink

Moderated by  MtnHkr 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Rock), 811 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users