Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Famous keeper's wife turns 99 #10502 05/30/00 12:52 AM
L
ladylightkeeper Offline OP
OP Offline
L
How many of you have heard of Connie Small? In lighthouse circles, she is famous. Thanks to her involvement in the Maine Lights program, many lighthouses in that state have been saved, as the Coast Guard was urged to sell or turn them over to non-profit groups who could restore them and use them for various purposes, including museums, such as Portland Head, Spring Point Ledge, Nubble (Cape Neddick), Pemaquid, Marshall Point, Monhegan and so on, and maintain public accessibility.

She was filmed in one part of the PBS lighthouse series of tapes "Legendary Lighthouses"; has been on national tv promoting lighthouse preservation; and visited the President.

She also wrote a book, which is now in its second edition with expanded photo selections, called "The Lighthouse Keeper's Wife."

At her age of 99, she has a lifetime of lighthouse experiences to relate both in printed word and in person. Our New England Lighthouse Lovers HL club was lucky to be able to visit her last fall, where she gave us a wonderful slide/lecture on her lighthouse experiences.

She will turn 99 on June 4. That is a feat in itself, but especially as she still loves to talk about lighthouses and why they should be preserved.

How about honoring her by sending her a birthday card of good wishes and your tales of some of your own personal experiences at favorite lighthouses, and a few photos if you have spares. She and her husband were keepers at Sequin, and were the last keepers at Portsmouth Harbor, NH, light before the Coast Guard took it over. She has no personal family, and receiving these cards would mean a lot to her, I am sure.

I have just written an e-mail to Kim about her, suggesting Bill may want to interview her for his upcoming project.
And suggesting that HL make a sculpture of Portsmouth Harbor Light and old fort, in honor of her, as there is no HL piece from NH (Whaleback is claimed by Maine). Won't you please support this "wish" to honor her, by posting on Lamar's Wish List of lights to be made.

Her address is: Mrs. Connie Small, Mark Wentworth Home, 346 Pleasant Street, Portsmouth, NH, 03801

If you are interested in obtaining her book, "The Lighthouse Keeper's Wife", contact the University of Maine Press (207) 581-1408. $14.95 plus S & H

------------------
ladylightkeeper

[This message has been edited by ladylightkeeper (edited 05-29-2000).]

ladylightkeeper
Re: Famous keeper's wife turns 99 #10503 05/30/00 02:04 PM
J
Joanne Offline
J
What a wonderful thread. I will definitely send her a card.

Joanne

Re: Famous keeper's wife turns 99 #10504 05/30/00 03:25 PM
Augie K. Offline
My wife and myself spent over an hour with Connie yesterday. What a wonderful visit we had. Connie is truly a remarkable woman. She talked about her book and about her life as a "Lighthouse Keeper's Wife". The stories she told us were truly amazing. We live only 20 minutes from were Connie lives, and plan on going back to visit her soon. I have to, I told her the next time we come ice cream was on me. When she heard this a big smile came across her face and she said "great I love ice cream." I mailed my birthday card today.

The Flame

[This message has been edited by TheFlame (edited 05-30-2000).]

Augie K.
NELL Member
Re: Famous keeper's wife turns 99 #10505 05/30/00 06:03 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Thank you for the "heads up" Barbara! I am very remiss in communicating with Mrs. Small.

Ladylightkeeper and I had email conversation quite a while back regarding Mrs. Small and her book. It is EXCELLENT and REQUIRED READING for all lighthouse lovers! If you don't already have a copy be sure to get one. I believe it is also available through on-line booksellers but if ordered as stated above, Mrs. Small may get a bit more in royalties. As she and her husband had no children, she has no relatives and this may be the only source of "pin money" for her.

She tells of her experiences as a lighthouse keeper's wife at several Maine lighthouses in a very poignant manner. While a story of lighthouses I felt it was a very personal account of an extraordinary life. Reading her book transports one back to a time when life was hard, whether or not you lived at a lighthouse.

In addition to sending her cards I'm going to start a thread in the "Personal" forum where we can all join together to wish Mrs. Small our birthday congratulations. Perhaps someone (The Flame?) would volunteer to print it out for her.

[This message has been edited by mombo (edited 05-30-2000).]

Re: Famous keeper's wife turns 99 #10506 05/30/00 10:03 PM
Brent Offline
What a wonderful idea!! I'll get a card in the mail to her A.S.A.P. Thanks for the "post".....

Brent
OBLHS Charter Member
Re: Famous keeper's wife turns 99 #10507 05/31/00 11:39 PM
B
Barb Kepple Offline
B
Thanks for letting us know about Connie Small's birthday, Barbara! I have read her book and agree with Sue that it is wonderful. How nice it will be if we can make her birthday more special.

Barb

Barb

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,980
Posts184,642
Members2,583
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Rock), 1,825 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
coloradolights, PortageRivrLight, DenizensofDeep, Rtubbs, SafeHarbor
2583 Registered Users