Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
What do you think of the NEW RELEASES? #104823 06/10/05 11:09 PM
MtnHkr Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
I think we are getting a good mix of lights from all over to satisfy most of the collectors. I'm not sure just yet as to what I think of the Rose Island GLOW and the Cape Neddick. Waiting to see what those two look like.

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: What do you think of the NEW RELEASES? #104824 06/11/05 02:49 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Here's a first look at all the "Simmerin' Summer Lights" from Harbour Lights.

Click Here

Re: What do you think of the NEW RELEASES? #104825 06/11/05 09:07 AM
catzb1 Offline
Wacko
Wacko
John,

You may want to do some editing before you release that page on the website. Litle Sable and Prices Creek both have the same number #323.

Cathy eek

Re: What do you think of the NEW RELEASES? #104826 06/11/05 09:50 AM
Bigbird Offline
Wacko
Wacko
What's the deal with the flourescent blue water on Neddick?? eek confused

Health through education, for a much misguided nation!!
Re: What do you think of the NEW RELEASES? #104827 06/11/05 01:59 PM
Rock Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
They all look terrific (with the exception of that new Nubble...it looks like it got lost on its way to a Thomas Kincade gallery) but due to personal preference, space limitations, and of course, financial obligations, I'll only be "keeping":

1) Cape Arago, OR (like the small edition size...the Oregon lights get absolutely no respect from collectors as it is)

2) Cape Meares, OR GLOW (although I sure hope that's just a background flaw in the new pic and not some stupid, fragile and unnecessary antenna sticking out of the tower)

3) Marquette, MI ('cuz I have all of the Xmas pieces, but the thrill sure fades a bit now that HL has decided to turn them all into blinkers)

Price's Creek, NC is a "maybe" 'cuz it looks small and easy to display...

Re: What do you think of the NEW RELEASES? #104828 06/11/05 04:02 PM
Weasel58 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Well I like the looks of most of them. I'll be getting:

1. Price Creek, NC. Hey I gotta get all the NC lights.

2. Cape Charles, VA. Love the Iron lights and I love pointing out to people in Florida that this is the second tallest light in the US.

3. PT. Vincente, CA Lens. I've been waiting for this one since the mini lens was released as a cristmas ornament. If you haven't seen this lens in person, you are missing one of the best looking lens in the U.S.

4. Cape Arago, OR. Love those Oregon lights

Eric
Re: What do you think of the NEW RELEASES? #104829 06/11/05 04:57 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
My feelings:

Little Sable - a nice piece, if it kind of blends in with others. I'd have rather seen this piece in its current state, though - no outbuildings and paintless tower. I prefer the natural brick look.

Cape Charles - a STELLAR piece. They really succeeded on the skeletal structure. The outbuildings are beautiful, the tower is beautiful...this may be my favourite piece of the releases.

Prices Creek - neat little piece. I may even purchase this one, although I don't usually buy HLs (due to price). This one, however, is affordable, detailed, and one of my favourite Southeast lights. Bravo, HL!

Sturgeon Bay Ship Canal - really nice piece. Don't know much about the real light, so can't really comment otherwise. However, I am getting this feeling that the piece is going to be huge, just from looking at Paul's photograph. Maybe it's just that the lighthouse structure itself covers most of the footprint of the sculpture.

Cape Arago - a nice West Coast entry. I like the little dock sticking off the side. Nicely done!

Cape Neddick - Oh. my. gosh. Is that an HL or a Lefton?! By the way it looks, it might as well be the latter. Also, the fact that it's on that wooden base is very un-HL. This is an absolute travesty. When they rereleased Portland Head earlier this year, at least it LOOKED nice. This is a piece of rubbish. The reason we love HLs is because they AREN'T this kind of sub-par styled lighthouse sculpture! In a release of stellar pieces that until now was scoring a 9 or 10, this brings the total score down to about an 8.

Point Vincente Lens - How come we have two lenses and an LLOM for this light, but no LE? Well, I think that that is half made up for by this stellar lens. This is a very unique lens, and HL did it beautifully. Probably the best lens ever!

Marquette Harbor - Nice piece, though I wish HL would dump the lighted Xmas pieces. The 2002 and earlier ones look so nice compared to them. That aside, this is another neat piece, styled well.

As for the GLOWS...they're all okay...they're GLOWS...but every single lantern room on every single one seems to me to be out of scale. Maybe it's just me???

A nice release, some nice lights....the only terrible piece being Nubble. I think that I might even buy a Price's Creek. Finally, a small, affordable light!

Re: What do you think of the NEW RELEASES? #104830 06/12/05 12:34 AM
GreenBadger Offline
Ok, the nubble looks a bit odd, but I'm sure it will look great in person....I'm sure I'll be getting that one, having been there and all.....others I'm not sure at this point, same thing, space and all...so far I've only been getting lights that I've seen...thus partial to the Nubble....still looking for an original as well...

Re: What do you think of the NEW RELEASES? #104831 06/12/05 10:53 AM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
I'll buy all the limited editions and the lens but will more then likely pass on the Cape Neddick. I will reserve my decision to buy Neddick until I see it in person. I don't like the wooden base and the blue water is awful. From the picture it appears to look like a cheap gift store (off the interstate) type piece.

Rich
Re: What do you think of the NEW RELEASES? #104832 06/12/05 12:06 PM
AZlightkeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Looks like the lens is the only one that holds my interest, too bad the lens came before the LE. I was excited when I heard Nubble was being done, but it looks a little (hate to say this) cheesy, hopefully it is a bad picture and the piece will look better in person.

Jim
Re: What do you think of the NEW RELEASES? #104833 06/12/05 12:23 PM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Cape Charles, Price's Creek and the lens for me, for certain! Don't know yet about the others.

Been waiting, hoping, and begging for Cape Charles for quite awhile, and this is the first time any company has depicted Price's Creek as it was. Since it's an important North Carolina light, and I just visited it...inside and out, up close and personal, and have the souvenir muddy shoes to prove it, gotta have it!

The lens is a no brainer. Gotta have it; I have all the others. And I'm way too involved with lenses to stop now.

Judy
Bodie Island Restoration Committee Chair
Outer Banks Lighthouse Society

Judy
Re: What do you think of the NEW RELEASES? #104834 06/12/05 03:13 PM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
First listed being my favorite and last being the least desired:
1. Cape Charles: this one is well loved and has been on the Wish list for a long time. It will have no problem meeting its 4000 production. This is on my to buy list.

2. Little Sable Michigan: Nice looking lighthouse but I think it will have a hard time meeting its 4000-production obligation. No other fact than it is a Great Lake light and they don’t sell like the east coast lights. I love this one but I will not be buying it.

3. Price's Creek North Carolina: Harbour lights did a nice job on a relatively plain light. The price is right at $40 I think Harbour Lights will sell all of the 4500. Two reasons. Even thought this light is not accessible and very popular. It is in one of the most popular area for lighthouses. I think many collectors will want this one just to complete their North Carolina collection. The lower selling price will also help it to sell. This is on my to buy list.

4. Cape Arago Oregon: I love all of the north west Pacific lights and I believe that so does many of our collectors. This is a nice light and I think harbour lights was wise in setting its production to 2,500. Again the popular lights are the east coast. Even though this is a nice light, many collectors don’t have the room for all the lights. They will have to make decisions on what lights not to buy and this one will probably be on many of the not to buy list, for the simple reason that many have never seen it and are only collecting the once they have seen. I will not be buying this one.

5. Sturgeon Bay Ship CanalNorth Pierhead Wisconsin: No bells and whistles here. Again a less popular light but will sell well at the door county event. Touch and go if all 2000 are sold. I will not be buying this one.

6. Point Vicent Fresnel Clamshell: An other nice looking Fresnel. But you got to ask yourself, how many fresnels do you need. Yes it is different since it has two treats in one. But after a while a light-bulb is a light-bulb. Don’t get me wrong I love the different fresnels, I even have the first four with matching double digits sitting on my dresser. And I love to have a complete collection but I don’t have the room and it just doesn’t sound as appealing to have all the fresnels as it is to have all the lighthouses. I will not be buying this one.

7. Marquette Harbor Michigain Christmas 2005: An other Christmas piece that lights up. Well I guess I am program to except this. However a Lighthouse that lights up for Christmas makes as much sense to me as a tree that lights up for celebrating the birth of Christ. I will not be buying this one.

8. Cape Neddick Maine: I expected this. You can expect at least one remake every 6 months. Highly disappointed that it lights up. Harbour Lights, leave the lighting up for the GLOWs. Oh Ya; I agree that it looks like HL is trying to match the Thomas Kincade style. I accepted last years Portland Head remake. I do feel that It is financially needed for Harbour Lights to make some of the Popular ones again in a snow version, but one that lights up and with florescent water, you are looking at a totally different type of collector than what’s on this forum. I think? I will not be buying this one.

9. GLOWS- no comment

DANIEL
Re: What do you think of the NEW RELEASES? #104835 06/12/05 09:57 PM
SDudley Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I will be buying Cape Charles and Price Creek. I will not be buying the lense for the first time, as it is time to start cutting back. If the lense had been a first order lenses, I might of bought but, another third I can pass on.
Daniel and I are pretty much of the same opinion on all the new items so I will not revisit those thoughts.

Re: What do you think of the NEW RELEASES? #104836 06/13/05 10:22 AM
MtnHkr Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
I've decided that for the first time since I started collecting that I won't be buying something. I will pass on Cape Neddick and Rose Island. I like Little Sable, Price Creek and Cape Arago, but probably won't buy.

Bert frown

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: What do you think of the NEW RELEASES? #104837 06/13/05 10:45 AM
Bill Harnsberger Offline
Nubble:

Worst...Harbour...Light...EVER.

Re: What do you think of the NEW RELEASES? #104838 06/13/05 11:12 AM
Cana Fan Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
A couple of my thoughts for what they're worth...

Greg, I agree about the lantern rooms looking large on the G.L.O.W.'s.

On Cape Neddick

Rock, Greg, Daniel, Bill, ditto, ditto, ditto, ditto.

Weren't the GLOWS supposed to be 25% smaller and cheaper that the L.E.'s? Fenwick and Rose Island's may be smaller but they sure don't seem to be much cheaper. So much for appealing to the "souvenior" crowd. Guess that's what the L.L.O.M.'s do now. Kinda makes you wonder what the point of having G.L.O.W's is any more!

For a guy thats running out of room, this will be a good year. I'll only buy Prices Creek (nice and small), Little Sable and Marquette. Plus, the Reunion piece will round out my year.

Mike

Re: What do you think of the NEW RELEASES? #104839 06/13/05 01:27 PM
bright eyes Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko

Re: What do you think of the NEW RELEASES? #104840 06/13/05 02:46 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
How come, nobody has commented about the flags and flagpoles? Given that they're on a GLOW, and flourescent blue lightup Nubble, I guess it could be missed. But we've been asking for flags and poles for a long time.
I think a big miss on Nubble is for not depicting it with the Christmas lights and the passenger tower. I like the way it looks until they plopped it on the blue ice!

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: What do you think of the NEW RELEASES? #104841 06/13/05 02:46 PM
Zachary Offline
I might buy Prices Creek, does the lantern room look wrong on it though?

Re: What do you think of the NEW RELEASES? #104842 06/13/05 03:07 PM
Weasel58 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
The lantern room should be an old "Bird cage" style lantern. At least the only old pictures I have ever seen of the Price Creek range lights showed bird cage lanerns.

Eric
Re: What do you think of the NEW RELEASES? #104843 06/13/05 03:36 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: What do you think of the NEW RELEASES? #104844 06/13/05 07:00 PM
Zachary Offline
I've seen an old photo of the Prices Creek light and the lantern room definetly is not right, but, it doesn't really matter, the piece looks great anyway

Re: What do you think of the NEW RELEASES? #104845 06/13/05 08:12 PM
R
rgurskey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
R
Quote:
4. Cape Arago Oregon: I love all of the north west Pacific lights and I believe that so does many of our collectors. Again the popular lights are the east coast. Even though this is a nice light, many collectors don’t have the room for all the lights. They will have to make decisions on what lights not to buy and this one will probably be on many of the not to buy list, for the simple reason that many have never seen it and are only collecting the once they have seen.
Sounds like a perfect reason to buy it. Although I live on the East Coast, I have seen this lighthouse and intend purchase it.

Re: What do you think of the NEW RELEASES? #104846 06/13/05 08:46 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
Originally posted by rscroope:
...I think a big miss on Nubble is for not depicting it with the Christmas lights and the passenger tower. I like the way it looks until they plopped it on the blue ice!
The lighthouse is outlined with Christmas lights. Probably just not visible in the size photo on the page.

I'm trying to get some feedback on that blue platform from the home office.

P.S. Amen on the flagpoles! I thought of Rod Watson right away when I saw those photos for the first time.

Re: What do you think of the NEW RELEASES? #104847 06/14/05 07:55 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
Nubble:

Worst...Harbour...Light...EVER.
Bill Harnsberger? Is that really you? Where the heck have you been? Personally, I'm glad to see you back and at least know that you keep up with what's going on even though you haven't been posting.

Now back to the topic at hand. Every year Harbour Lights usually hits us with at least one piece that may be considered a less than desireable piece by part of our group of collectors. Something that's different and with a higher than usual retail price. This year it's the new Cape Neddick.

The first thing I thought of when I viewed the picture of it on the HL web site was the very old commercial for Reeses Peanut Butter Cups where a guy is eating a chocolate bar and another guy was eating from a peanut butter jar. Something happens that causes the chocolate bar to end up in the peanut butter jar. When the guy pulls the broken chocolate bar out of the peanut butter he said something like, "Hey, you got peanut butter on my chocolate." The other guy says something like, "Hey, you got chocolate in my peanut butter." Then they both eat the chocolate and peanut butter combination and say, "Hmmm!"

The new Cape Neddick looks like someone dropped the translucent wave material from the "I-love-you" light (latest Minots release a couple of years back), and it fell on top of a fake wooden base from a Fresnel Lens, just as a prototype GLOW of Cape Neddick was knocked off the upper shelf of the HL Lab.

One HL worker said, "Hey you got you translucent wave material on my Fresnel lens fake wood base!" The other guy said, "Hey you got your new Cape Neddick prototype remake on my translucent wave material causing it to stick to the fake wooden base!" The final guy said, "Hey, the collectors will buy anything, let's run with it, but we better put a light in it to confuse them a little more!"

I suppose it's nice to try different things and deviate from your normal design, but the picture of the new Cape Neddick doesn't make it look like a true representation of a Harbour Lights lighthouse. Didn't the other guys who made lights that look like that go out of business?

:rolleyes: Bob :rolleyes:

Re: What do you think of the NEW RELEASES? #104848 06/14/05 01:19 PM
Rock Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I'll comment on flags and flagpoles...I've never wanted them or asked for them...and whether they're on a LE or GLOW: STOP PUTTING THEM ON THESE LIGHTS! THEY'RE FRAGILE AND UNNECESSARY!!!

Re: What do you think of the NEW RELEASES? #104849 06/14/05 03:07 PM
C
ctlights Offline
C
Cape Charles looks great, although at $75 for this piece, I wonder whether it will small. Will definitely buy! But, I often wonder WHY HL would make such a well known light with a small edition size. If they are trying to make this a business, issue well known lights with a greater edition size and if it retires without its full production, it will end up like virtually everything else HL has been releasing in the last few years.

Little Sable - been waiting for this for years to display alongside the other Sable piece - but won't buy because of the white tower. Don't know why they did not do the brown color which was so beautiful; maybe HL should have done one side white and the other brown, kind of like the St. Helena piece - you could display which ever side you prefered in your curio.

Everything else, I'll pass too.

Would have been nice to display a Point Vicente LE with the lens, but once again, no Point Vicente. Gee, with the millions of tourists who visit Southern California each year, wouldn't this be a very popular release?

Re: What do you think of the NEW RELEASES? #104850 06/17/05 01:38 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
For most of it's existence, Little Sable was white (painted white in 1900, snadblasted back to it's orginal, natural brick color in 1977). Since the keeper's quarters are also depicted, the white tower is probably the most appropriate. Kind of the reverse of the Cape Florida model where the light is currently white and they depicted it pre-restoration.

Re: What do you think of the NEW RELEASES? #104851 06/17/05 10:44 PM
W
wolfdevil Offline
Wacko
Wacko
W
I've been requesting Price's Creek for a few years to truly complete the NC Collection of still standing lighthouses. I make an effort when I can to take the Southport Ferry to get a glimpse of it. Thanks Harbour Lights!

Re: What do you think of the NEW RELEASES? #104852 06/30/05 06:07 PM
Cana Fan Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Does anyone know if Price's Creek has shipped yet?

Mike

Re: What do you think of the NEW RELEASES? #104853 06/30/05 06:37 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Mike,

As far as I know, it hasn't. At least I have yet to be notified that mine has come in. Sorry.

bobo

Re: What do you think of the NEW RELEASES? #104854 07/16/05 10:55 AM
Bigbird Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Has anyone seen better pictures of the Marquette piece for this Christmas? I was wondering, other than snow, what makes this a Christmas piece (other than HL's saying so); Christmas trees, snowman, little foot prints, etc., etc.?

Steve

Re: What do you think of the NEW RELEASES? #104855 07/16/05 10:42 PM
Rock Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Steve, not sure if this is what you're looking for:

From LH Depot

Re: What do you think of the NEW RELEASES? #104856 07/17/05 12:06 AM
Bigbird Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Thanks for that view...I see the snowman; other than that...!?! Not a bad looking piece, but I still don't see the "Christmas" connection perse...maybe the keeper is Jewish?!? confused wink

I do see from that picture, that the rock formation near the back is not a deer lying in the snow as my girlfriend saw/was hoping when she saw the small(er) pictures.

Steve

Re: What do you think of the NEW RELEASES? #104857 07/28/05 04:59 PM
L
lightbear Offline
L
I agree that Nubble is a real dog - expensive,
cheap-looking remake. Guess it's time to give up
our autoships so we don't get saddled with these
remakes and oddballs like Minot's Ledge where the
water looks like that used on Lenox pieces.

Re: What do you think of the NEW RELEASES? #104858 07/28/05 07:54 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Well Folks,

I will wait to comment until I see the piece.

bobo

Re: What do you think of the NEW RELEASES? #104859 08/01/05 10:57 PM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Weasel (Eric) Cape Charles is the 3rd tallest behind your Cape Hateras and behind the tallest, the Statue of Liberty. When will you admit this (ha-ha). laugh laugh

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: What do you think of the NEW RELEASES? #104860 08/02/05 09:30 AM
Weasel58 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
The statue of Liberty is not a lighthouse!!! laugh

Eric

Moderated by  MtnHkr 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,389 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users