Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Cape Neddick ME (Nubble) 2005 Winter #104346 07/23/05 09:48 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I received a copy of the 'controversial' Cape Neddick ME lighthouse this past week.

On the positive side, it is very well done. Crisp and good looking. The 'wooden base' is not wood, but part of the casting. I'd say it was necessary because of the clear resin water surrounding three sides of the 'island'.

The lighthouse and tower are trimmed in Christmas lights... actually fiber optic that extends into the heart of the piece where the light is. These are all 'white' lights when lit.

The lighthouse lantern flashes red and some of the interior windows in the house and tower are 'lit' as well.

Frankly, I can't get past that 'electric blue' water when it is lit up. Too unrealistic.

However, when it is not lit up, I like it very much - the clear resin water looks very realistic in this way.

It will be a 'niche' piece. Hopefully it will sell well in Maine and appeal to those who have been to see Nubble in all her Christmas finery.

5,000 edition, $89 each. Expected to be released in September.

Click here for the Harbour Lights description

Re: Cape Neddick ME (Nubble) 2005 Winter #104347 07/24/05 04:07 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
I guess I'll have to see it in person before I pass judgement on the latest Cape Neddick to be released in September. New innovation is good but I still prefer the basic concept of the older pieces. I guess we get a dog thrown at us every once in awhile. Could the new Nubble be just that?

smile Bob smile

Re: Cape Neddick ME (Nubble) 2005 Winter #104348 07/24/05 04:45 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Bow Wow!!

Rich
Re: Cape Neddick ME (Nubble) 2005 Winter #104349 07/24/05 06:58 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
From what I've heard, that dog is already dead but just doesn't know it.

bobo

Re: Cape Neddick ME (Nubble) 2005 Winter #104350 07/24/05 07:34 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Maybe it's not really Nubble. Maybe it's Nubble 843, an unknown lighthouse from the planet Hilite, where the water is electric blue, the sky lime green, and the flowers flourescent pink. laugh

Re: Cape Neddick ME (Nubble) 2005 Winter #104351 07/24/05 11:41 PM
Bigbird Offline
Wacko
Wacko
So that $89...is that a slip or is that a pre-release depreciation?? laugh

Steve

Health through education, for a much misguided nation!!
Re: Cape Neddick ME (Nubble) 2005 Winter #104352 07/25/05 12:05 AM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Quote:
Originally posted by Bigbird:
So that $89...is that a slip or is that a pre-release depreciation?? laugh

Steve
I'll have to check on that. In the table it says $99, on the page, it says $89.

Re: Cape Neddick ME (Nubble) 2005 Winter #104353 07/25/05 12:54 AM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
You guys are collecting experts for our generation.
But there is a different generation of collectors out there.
Most of us feel that the light up water Cape Neddick won’t sell.
But are we really sure that the next collecting generation will feel the same.
They are more into video games and high Tec movies with mind bending colors and special effects that look more real than life itself.
Our generation of Harbour Light collectors are more into Art and the simpler forms of art. We want to see our collectables molded out of clay and painted by an Artist. The next generation may expect everything to be perfectly made and eventually computer painted so there are no variations.
Harbour lights has taken chances before.
Some good and some bad.
The Fresnel lens has been a gold mind for HL and they went about it the right way.
They felt the waters first and found them to be very profitable.
Obviously they are testing the waters for the lighted water. I hope they are successful with what ever they make. The reason is that I want HL to stay financially secure besides all the obvious, is so that they can keep making every Lighthouse in US.

DANIEL
Re: Cape Neddick ME (Nubble) 2005 Winter #104354 07/25/05 10:19 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
I tend to agree with you, Dan. Harbour Lights must keep testing the "waters" by fishing for new collectors who may just like the new innovative piece like Nubble. They have never been the "rubber stamp" type of people. They listen to their collectors and try to incorporate new ideas in their offerings. Just put one of the original seventeen next to any of the newest releases. Quite a difference, isn't it.

Fresnel lenses were requested by many of the old-time collectors. HL listened and made them. I'm sure they have done well. I picture people buying the lenses that don't even collect the lighthouses. The lenses are real eye-catchers when on display.

smile Bob smile

Re: Cape Neddick ME (Nubble) 2005 Winter #104355 07/25/05 10:53 AM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I'm told that the "I Love You" Light (Minot's with the wave) is a good seller, although no numbers have been released.

It's certainly not the 'traditional' style HL.

You may be on to something, Daniel.

Re: Cape Neddick ME (Nubble) 2005 Winter #104356 09/29/05 08:51 PM
kikigl Offline
I have seen the newly released Pemiquie and I really don't like the water or the base, so I won't be buying it.
Maybe that's a "good thing".
There are so many that I do want!

Kay
Re: Cape Neddick ME (Nubble) 2005 Winter #104357 10/20/05 11:04 AM
Cana Fan Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I saw this piece "live" for the first time this past weekend at my dealer in Door County. I laughed. The lit water is an absolute joke. I generally like Christmas/winter pieces, but those must be some GIANT Christams ligh bulbs that put on Nubble each ear judging from the size of the ones on the piece wink

Good try H.L., but I'll pass.

Mike

Re: Cape Neddick ME (Nubble) 2005 Winter #104358 10/20/05 11:12 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I also saw this piece while up in Maine a few weeks ago. Yuk!!! One of the worst pieces ever made by Harbour Lights next to the Rondout Light. Maybe this piece was made for selling on QVC. confused

Re: Cape Neddick ME (Nubble) 2005 Winter #104359 10/20/05 09:26 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
I'm have flag #23, my autoship number. The piece is well done if you like the GLOW feeling. I do not collect GLOW's. I'm not into HL's with rubber feet that light up. This is not what I would call a favorite HL of mine and a desired part of my collection. Anyone interested in purchasing it for retail plus shipping?

smile Bob smile

Re: Cape Neddick ME (Nubble) 2005 Winter #104360 10/20/05 09:55 PM
CAVR Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Now there's an interesting thought.... HLs for QVC!

You laugh, but think about how many other "big name" collector line items are on QVC ....Boyds and Radkos just to name a few.

I wouldn't be suprised if someday this becomes a reality, specially with these silly GLOWS, lighted pieces and other items that us HL collectors don't tend to be fond of.

So if QVC became a reality, would we be back to 10,000+ edition pieces or "unlimited" GLOWS?

I'm getting sick.....

-Christopher
"CAVR"
Re: Cape Neddick ME (Nubble) 2005 Winter #104361 10/21/05 10:14 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Might be a great way to reduce inventory, increase revenue, and marketing. It would not be a good deal for HL stores unless they could figure a way to reclaim their stock too. It would have to be 1000s of pieces in each item. And would have to be major LHs. Probably would have worked for the Lamps. Then they could have generated interest in the Harbour Lights brand. Hopefully HL is doing OK and does not need to do this. But wouldn't Bill make a wonderful saleman on TV?
Bob

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Cape Neddick ME (Nubble) 2005 Winter #104362 10/21/05 04:37 PM
Bill Harnsberger Offline
Opinion based on publicity photo: Worst Harbour Light ever.

Opinion based on seeing it in person: Love it. Bought it. Well done.

Re: Cape Neddick ME (Nubble) 2005 Winter #104363 10/21/05 05:03 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:
Opinion based on seeing it in person: Still one of the Worst Harbour Lights ever.

Re: Cape Neddick ME (Nubble) 2005 Winter #104364 10/21/05 05:14 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Billllllllllllllllllll!

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Cape Neddick ME (Nubble) 2005 Winter #104365 10/21/05 06:40 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:

Opinion based on seeing it in person: Love it. Bought it. Well done.
Hey Bill H., ...Where have you been? Is the second part of the quote listed above, your unbiased opinion?

smile Bob smile

Re: Cape Neddick ME (Nubble) 2005 Winter #104366 10/21/05 07:26 PM
Danny Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Just a modest, non-binding observation: I don't really care for any of the "snow" pieces because the snow is way too coarse and out of scale, generally blotched onto the roofs of the buildings in rather irrational ways [even taking into account the probable, bad insulation of the original structures!], and is much too prone to soiling. I get the pieces because I'm one of those collectors who has to go into therapy if he misses a release. And, in some cases, there are no alternatives to having that particular lighthouse. But, all in all, I would rather have pieces that I can handle without resorting to surgical gloves. And yes, I'm "anal" enough to wash my hands before handling the pieces, anyway. My "considered" opinion is that HL201, Presque Isle, PA, was the worst of these pieces: it looked as though it started out to be a regular foliage setting, and was subsequently overlaid [green grass and trees and all] with the Pillsbury Doughboy roadkill. As I've said elsewhere in the Forum, I generally agree with Bob M. about working lights and rubber feet, as well as the unnecessary depth, or height, given to the piece to accommodate the power source[s]. In fact, I have never plugged in even one of my GLOWs [and yes, I have seen them lighted in the store]. My feeling about them was that HL was merely trying to give Lefton competition, and I was quite content to have Lefton have that particular slice of the market.

I blush to admit, too, that I could have done without the Fresnel lens reproductions. I got the first one or two because I was assuming that there wouldn't be so many, but I guess I was blindsided, since it seems that HL intends to put out every single, solitary variation on the theme.

Fortunately, something rational overtook me with regard to the Anchor Bay pieces [of course, I had just had my brain stapled, too]. The first five were priced so dearly that I resolved not to get started on them, and I have held to that determination. Don't I get some sort of citation, here? laugh

And while I enjoy seeing that occasional balloon, the Skybound line offers absolutely no temptations. It gives me the impression of being resolutely earthbound.

Oh yeah... I did get the large figures [because I'm an artist and I enjoy figures], but the Boston set simply did not beckon to me.

Finally [my! I seem cranky, today...must be the sinus medicine], I wasn't very pleased with the Minots Ledge, because the proportions weren't right [according to all the original drawings I've seen of it], and the "I Love You" blinking light is not appropriate to THAT stage of the lighthouse. The resin water would have been enough, without the bells, whistles, and gongs. Come to think of it, there were no bells, whistles, and gongs! Pleeeeeeze tell me that HL is not planning to add sound effects. eek

Danny

Re: Cape Neddick ME (Nubble) 2005 Winter #104367 10/24/05 10:54 PM
beachcomber Offline
Pleeeeeeze don't give them any ideas. I totally agree about the snow. Sorry, but, to me, it looks like someone was trying to ice a cake. I know you are right that H.L. has to look to the new generation of collectors, profits, etc., but I have neither the money nor the space for all the lighthouses, so I have to be picky about my purchases. For the better part, it means staying away from all the "novelty" pieces. My dilemma right now is just finding and establishing a rapport with a store near me that carries H.L. - two have shut down and one discontinued carrying H.L. a couple of years ago. I hope this is not the beginning of a trend down here.

beachcomber
Re: Cape Neddick ME (Nubble) 2005 Winter #104368 10/25/05 07:32 PM
Danny Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Grace,

If the worst comes, I can always arrange to get them for you here at Candle Nook [in Wichita]. The owners are my friends, so I could inspect the pieces for you to make sure that they are flawless. They ship. Of course, there's also Lighthouse Depot in Wells, ME, who has also unfailingly treated me well, although I have had to return damaged product on a couple of occasions. Lighthouse Gallery, in NC, has also been reliable and attentive. I can scarcely believe, however, that HL would allow Houston [of all places] to go without an outlet for their product. We HAVE lost three of the original four outlets in Wichita, but two of those were due to closures because of retiring owners. The other one was simply ineptitude in running a business. But, at Candle Nook, Glenda and Laurence Webster are on top of their product and staff, and have a good rapport with their HL representatives. My suggestion to you is to nail down your dealer there, get genuinely acquainted with her/him, stop in regularly so that she/he/they get familiar with you, and stop in to chat from time to time even when you don't purchase a light. Occasionally purchase something else, too. Retail owners just love regular customers. Glenda and Laurence are absolutely assured that at least three of the four regularly scheduled HL pieces will be claimed by faithful customers. They also know that they can call on ME at any time to assist them in helping a customer with lighthouse needs, so that's an offer you might make to your dealer, too. Give them a phone number and make yourself reaily available for lighthouse questions and "counselling" for their promising customers. This helps to make them more aware of their product, the potential demand for it, and gives them a way better to develop the line. Whenever we have an event, here, I bring around 100 especially baked cookies, produce wall-sized enlargements of the older HL brochures so that customers have a sense of history for the line, and also provide a few "door prizes," such as books on lighthouses, etc. [Barnes & Noble and Borders always seem to have a few lighthouse books on sale, which makes for an enjoyable, inexpensive door prize.] It also doesn't hurt to take the store owners a pleasant little treat from time to time, like cookies, etc., just to show them that they are truly appreciated, which, in fact, they are.

Back to the subject of HL pieces.... I do hope that there aren't plans to put forth "Four Seasons" versions for all the lights, as is sort of implied by the "winter version" of Portland Head! I am hoping, on the other hand, that there is some movement toward putting out GLOW versions of some of the rather obvious lights that they have unaccountably ignored, such as North Head and Admiralty Head, WA, which both badly need a revised edition, etc. Their revised Mackinac still still has major problems, too. The gabled end of the keepers' dwelling, by the tower, is lacking a recessed portion in the wall, and the tower is placed against the very edge of the corner of the building instead of being set into it. If you study the HL GLOW version of the light, you'll discover that there is absolutely no way to enter the tower! There's NO provision for a door anywhere. The chimney is mis-positioned, too. We did need least one more Portland Head, because their second, revised edition had the dormers placed one story too high! But we don't need three more seasons worth of it.

Danny

Re: Cape Neddick ME (Nubble) 2005 Winter #104369 10/25/05 10:21 PM
beachcomber Offline
Thanks, Danny, for all your wonderful suggestions. Your dealer must really love you! Not only do you purchase a lot from them, but you treat them royally. Don't tell me that, in addition to all your other talents, you also bake your own cookies?!

After I posted this entry, I went to HL's dealer listings and was even more dismayed to find that my backup dealers are gone, too. (I have not purchased a lot in recent years - have been on the hunt for some of the older LE's.) My very first dealer was within five miles of home (and on the way to and from work). Needless to say, I was always hanging around there - never left without putting something on layaway. It was like losing a very dear friend when the owners retired and closed the shop. I continued to buy from their daughter who was about 22 miles from me (she's the one who is closing shop now) and also developed a good rapport with a dealer 34 miles from home - would place my orders by phone and pick them up when I finished paying on the layaways (that one is no longer listed). There was a dealer about 10 miles from me but they didn't care much for H.L. and finally discontinued the line. Luckily, the listing showed a shop which is only about 15 miles away, so I am going to check it out. I am very familiar with their name - it is a very old store so will probably continue to be around for a while - whether they will continue to carry H.L. is another matter. There are several shops closer to me but they only carry the little lights. Everything else is just too far for me to go. I have a real foreboding that we have a trend here. I guess it's time to place a call to H.L. - see if I can get a feel for what is happening. I may have to take you up on your offer, Danny - very generous gesture on your part. It would be great to have a real connoisseur check the lighthouses for me prior to shipment - in case I need to do this, do they have a layaway plan?

I, too, get very discouraged when a whole "four seasons" series is issued. It's almost as if there are not enough lighthouses around!

beachcomber
Re: Cape Neddick ME (Nubble) 2005 Winter #104370 10/26/05 05:20 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Funny you should mention the old days and being able to view several HLs at the same time to pick one out. When I first started, I remember one collector who was viewing 4 of the same HLs from many different angles, even squatting on the floor, before he would select one. When I became good friends with him later, and told him the story, his wife said he always does that! At the Baltimore Reunion, he discovered a flaw in the railing of some of the Reunion pieces.
He always said his wife was the collector but was overjoyed, when he won an Anchor Bay Ship that they didn't have.
"I don't think there are many opportunities to do that at a dealer these days."

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Cape Neddick ME (Nubble) 2005 Winter #104371 10/26/05 07:11 PM
Danny Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Grace,

They do take layaway, so that shouldn't be a problem, if you ever need to go that route. I was, and am, particularly fortunate with all my dealer sources, here. In each case, Lancelot's, Seven Seas, and Candle Nook, the owners ended up becoming friends. Given the wretched reputation of Kansas---anti-evolution coalition, Fred Phelps and his "God Hates Fags" coterie, the infamous BTK, the Clutter murders ["In Cold Blood"], George Tiller's clinic and the anti-abortionist demonstrations, tornados, the best-selling "What's the Matter with Kansas" by Franks, and Dorothy and Oz, Quantrill and his raiders, John Brown, the "World's Largest Ball of String" and deepest "Hand-dug Well", etc.---the majority of the people here are basically decent and friendly and tend to blink their collective eyes at all the absurdity and nonsense that transpires, and quietly disassociate themselves from it all. I know that I do! eek Granted, the cultural highlights of the year in Wichita are a bathtub race down the Arkansas River and tractor pulls, but a resolute application of cerebral determination can just manage to keep the brain cells aligned, if only in single file. That is why my fixating on a local lighthouse in my "formative years" was truly an aberration. Oh dear...do I see Truman Capote approaching with a pencil and pad to interview ME?

Danny

Re: Cape Neddick ME (Nubble) 2005 Winter #104372 10/26/05 11:33 PM
beachcomber Offline
Poor Danny, you are an "aberration" living "there". I don't dare call it what I think. Especially when you spell it all out the way you have, it becomes quite graphic. Truman Capote would have loved to interview you!

beachcomber
Re: Cape Neddick ME (Nubble) 2005 Winter #104373 10/27/05 07:32 PM
Danny Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Grace,

First and foremost, I neglected to assure you that I do NOT bake my own cookies. When I am in the kitchen, I have the IQ of a cabbage. Besides, I seem to be having enough problems with the "cookies" in this website, inasmuch as I have to clear them every time I try to sign in! On to other matters, however.... I suspect, as I gather and sort my thoughts along the way, there will be a generous sprinkling of "etc.s" thrown aside.

Deal with it! wink

After you have done your preliminary reconnaissance of the new (to you) dealer, there are a few ways that you might cultivate her/his/their involvement with Harbour Lights. You could invest in a reasonably inexpensive, well-illustrated, general guidebook to lighthouses---of which there are several options---and present it, gratis, to the dealer to have on hand as a "store copy" so that the dealer can help the potential customer to understand that Harbour Lights are actual lighthouses rather than fantasy creations. A fair share of people, having casually glanced at David Winter cottages, Lilliput Lane, Department 56, etc., tend to assume that the lighthouses are variations on the same theme. Most dealers have their industrious little hands full with staying on top of all their collectible lines; the Harbour Lights understandably merit no greater attention to them than their Boyd's Bears, Thomas Blackshear figurines, Precious Moments, Seraphim Angels, Sandicast dogs, Armani figures, Harmony Kingdom, and a gazillion other productions, so they will undoubtedly welcome any promotional tools and savvy that you can give them. Also, after reviewing their inventory, make sure that they have the lights that are "indigenous" to your area and to Texas, and that they know some selling points about them. Certainly, the Bolivar light, and its role in the great 1900 Galveston "tidal wave," needs to be featured, possibly with a copy or reference to the book, 'Isaac's Storm.' Also urge them to maintain an ongoing stock of the more popular GLOW editions [Split Rock, MN, seems to be the high-volume, high-turnover item here]. The average dealer may not realize that Portland Head, Cape Hatteras, Heceta Head, Split Rock, Key West, etc., are tourists' icons. Share with them, too, some helpful associations that certain lighthouses carry, such as Harbour Village (Sea Pines) with golf, and [as a lady from Missouri, an ardent Andre Agassiz fan, enlightened me only last Monday] Key Biscayne---known to us as Cape Florida---light with tennis. [She didn't know what "that lighthouse" was, but she had to have it because of its proximity to the tennis tournaments.] Movie associations are useful to them, too: Round Island, MI (for "Somewhere in Time") and Alcatraz, CA (for "The Rock"), etc. Appropriate stills from the movie, pulled off the Internet, or DVDs might help raise awareness. An occasional copy of 'Lighthouse Digest' can give the diplay reinforcement.

Until you "personalize" them, Harbour Lights are only so much merchandise to most dealers, but if you go a little out of your way to help them appreciate and "move the product," it works to everyone's advantage. You could even design a discreet, small placard to place with their display that provides the web addresses for the Collector Forums and for Harbour Lights. Above all, make sure that the dealer gets to know you personally as a Harbour Lights collector, especially one who is interested in meeting with others whose lighthouse awareness runs the gamut from simply curious to obsessed. One other thing; donate to your dealer one or two inexpensive, plastic magnifying glasses, in protective pouches or plastic sleeves, which can come in handy for inspecting all sorts of collectibles. Most dealers never think about having so simple a tool handy.

Even if you, personally, don't buy certain pieces, try to think of angles and suggestions to help the dealer sell them, whether it is historical significance, cultural relevance, specific and winning details or features in the piece, etc. It is surprising, yet human, to discover the multitude of ways a person's attention can be engaged, even if there are negative connotations. Certainly, I don't necessarily advocate the ghoulish coupling of recent events per se---John Kennedy Jr.'s plane went down near Gay Head light, while Swiss Air crashed off Peggy's Cove, and Flight 800 fell within sight of Fire Island---but even information like this adds a relevance and dimension to the lighthouse, and it draws attention to lighthouses in general when there might have been none. Thanks in part to the candyfloss portrayals by Thomas Kinkaid and the symbolic appropriation by assorted religious concerns, lighthouses are in danger of being romanticized into generic fluff. Getting emotional about lighthouses is just great, but it can be more satisfying and enduring when done for substantial reasons. Enable your dealer to see that she/etc. is not merely selling trinkets and baubles, but---as I alluded to in an earlier posting---offering things on which to hang memory and sentiment.

Make a gradual, seamless shift from being a passive customer to a dynamic partner who wants the dealer to succeed.

Or...chain yourself to the display, invoke aid from the invisible but powerful agency of armies of Harbour Lights zealots, conjure up a peculiarly unsettling wildness in your eyes---rolling them alternately or in concert, according to whim---and, by all means, wail like a banshee that the Harbour Lights must be supplied. Alert the media first!

Danny

Re: Cape Neddick ME (Nubble) 2005 Winter #104374 10/27/05 11:12 PM
beachcomber Offline
So-o-o, you're an actor, too, Danny? Such dramatics! Yes, you are right. Education is important. If more dealers become enlightened about the historical significance of lighthouses and the fact that H.L.'s lights are architecturally correct reproductions, it will produce greater awareness, and, hopefully, heightened interest in moving the product. Visual displays help considerably. You should post pictures of the displays at your favorite dealer so we can see what you have done there.

beachcomber
Re: Cape Neddick ME (Nubble) 2005 Winter #104375 10/28/05 08:11 PM
Danny Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Thespian! Pronounced exactly like Daffy Duck. Don your slickers!

Danny

Re: Cape Neddick ME (Nubble) 2005 Winter #104376 10/29/05 01:03 AM
beachcomber Offline
Hey, Danny, as prolific as you are as a writer, I never thought I would beat you to Wacko status! They issued me a challenge and I met it!
It's your turn to pick up the gauntlet!

beachcomber
Re: Cape Neddick ME (Nubble) 2005 Winter #104377 10/29/05 06:00 PM
Danny Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Grace...
The melancholy fact is that I either lack, or subconsciously resist, the gift of brevity! I don't know if I am overcompelled to "spill my guts" about each and every topic, believing that I must give our paying customers their money's worth, or if my shut-off button shorted out early in my lifetime. Whatever the case is, it just takes me more time and space to polish off my thoughts and present them, which, of necessity, reduces the frequency of my submissions. This is an extended, expository way of admitting that I can't seem to shut up! :p

Danny

Re: Cape Neddick ME (Nubble) 2005 Winter #104378 10/31/05 02:58 PM
beachcomber Offline
Quality always supercedes quantity, Danny. Write on!

Back a few posts ago, I mentioned that I found an old, established store which carries HL and that I felt confident they would be around for a while - surprise, surprise, yesterday's paper announced their closing after umpteen years of business. Someone mentioned somewhere in the forums that collectors may be a thing of the past. I've been seeing such a trend and it certainly has seemed to intensify, at least in the Houston area. The closing of so many collectibles shops certainly seems to point that way. They can still be found in smaller, outlying communities, but, in Houston proper, they are disappearing at the blink of an eye. I really miss the days when I could go exploring in these shops - especially around Christmas time. I guess the younger generations are more minimalist than we were - I certainly am trying to be so in my "wiser" years. I'm much more practical, but practical is not as much fun, I guess.

beachcomber
Re: Cape Neddick ME (Nubble) 2005 Winter #104379 10/31/05 09:09 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Hi Grace, ...Closings can prove to be very interesting. It is probably the only time the dealer actually clears out his or her stockroom. Often times you can find some real treasures amongst the offerings. Usually those offerings are at drastically reduced prices. It may be worth a trip to the store when the sale starts.

smile Bob smile

Re: Cape Neddick ME (Nubble) 2005 Winter #104380 11/01/05 03:32 AM
beachcomber Offline
You are right, Bob. I need to get out there and soon. It's too bad that neither of the two shops is close to me. When my nearest and dearest dealer closed down, I practically lived in the shop. I was able to get some good bargains, not so much in HL, as in Dept. 56's Dickens Christmas. I like to set up a "Christmas Carol" village at Christmastime. Maybe this time I will get lucky and find discounted HL models, as well.

beachcomber
Re: Cape Neddick ME (Nubble) 2005 Winter #104381 11/08/05 02:02 AM
beachcomber Offline
I stopped by one of the closings this weekend. They had only a few LE's left and lots of GLOW's and LLOM. I bought Three Sisters at 25% off. The biggie for me was finding a nice display for the 19 thumbnails which I already have. I posted a description, but not a picture, of it in "Displaying thumbnails".

beachcomber
Re: Cape Neddick ME (Nubble) 2005 Winter #104382 11/09/05 04:02 AM
beachcomber Offline
Danny, I guess Kansas scored another point for how "intelligence" continues to "evolve" there! 'Nuff said. (I'll probably be "deleted" or get censored or something.)

beachcomber
Re: Cape Neddick ME (Nubble) 2005 Winter #104383 11/09/05 08:10 PM
Danny Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Well...Grace....

It has taken me awhile to respond to THIS one! I've been sitting here, scratching my receding forehead with my hands, knuckles bloody from dragging them on the ground.

The offending school board members will undoubtedly be voted out, next year. One of the unfortunate things about Kansas [and there is a wealth of them] is that too many nitwits run and make it into office, while the more reasoned denizens back into corners and sit glumly waiting for it all to end. The wonderful thing about Kansas is that, when the world comes to an end, we won't know it here for a good two or three years afterwards.

What LEs are you seeking? Recalling my friends Laurence and Glenda at Candle Nook, they have a storage shed of older Harbour Lights that they've had to move out of the retail space to make room for the newer releases, so they may well have some of what you're needing. Before the membership at large starts salivating...NO, there isn't a Hatteras I or Coquille stashed there in neglected forlornitudinosity!

Danny

Re: Cape Neddick ME (Nubble) 2005 Winter #104384 11/10/05 02:59 AM
beachcomber Offline
Dover, PA took care of their board members yesterday! Thanks for asking about my search. Finances are particularly limited at this time of year. My number one priority is to find a Southeast Block somewhere. Alas, they are rare and dear!

beachcomber
Re: Cape Neddick ME (Nubble) 2005 Winter #104385 11/10/05 03:12 AM
beachcomber Offline
By the way, "for-lor-ni-tu-di-no-si-ty" rolls right off the tongue - very descriptive! You've coined a new term.

beachcomber
Re: Cape Neddick ME (Nubble) 2005 Winter #104386 11/10/05 07:52 PM
Danny Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Grace,

Let me check with Glenda and Laurence, just on the very off chance that they might have it stashed. I certainly don't promise anything, but---some time ago---I went in just after one of their employees had just pulled a Big Bay x-mas piece out of the back, ferreted away on some forgotten shelf, and sold it! I have long since offered to help them catalog what they have in storage, but they are just so busy that it is hard for them to get around to it. It's a shame that I didn't know this when Lancelot's went out of business in 1996. Ernestine Lancelot was one of the earliest dealers in HL, and she ordered 8-10 of each piece, and sometime up to 15 or more. I know that when she had her closing sale, there were about 12 West Quoddy LEs, 10-12 Umpqua River LEs, 8 Alcatraz LEs, etc. etc. When the HL representative discovered this, he came down from KC to buy the remainder and filled his car to the brim! Happily, I got some duplicates at that time, but not a duplicate Block Island, sorry to report.

Danny

Re: Cape Neddick ME (Nubble) 2005 Winter #104387 11/10/05 09:54 PM
beachcomber Offline
Uh, oh, the wrath of God has been invoked on those Dover, Pa. folks! Beware, Kansas! Thanks, Danny.

beachcomber
Re: Cape Neddick ME (Nubble) 2005 Winter #104388 11/11/05 08:01 PM
Danny Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Grace....Have you forgotten? I live in OZ. Any threats, here, are greeted with...

"Be off! Before someone drops a house on you!"

It sounds to me as thought the good reverend is devolving, or rather blatantly going senile. He had better recall, further, that OUR monkeys have wings!

There's no place like home!

Re: Cape Neddick ME (Nubble) 2005 Winter #104389 11/11/05 09:06 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Hate to be the wet blanket here, but we really do need to take this thread back to where it started - "Cape Neddick 2005 Winter". Lots of room down in the FSB to discuss intelligent design and I bet Saint Tim would love to host it.

Re: Cape Neddick ME (Nubble) 2005 Winter #104390 11/12/05 04:11 AM
beachcomber Offline
Okay, let's get back to Cape Neddick. I did see it when I went to check out the dealer closing. I am still the traditionalist and wish it didn't light up.

beachcomber
Re: Cape Neddick ME (Nubble) 2005 Winter #104391 11/12/05 04:12 AM
beachcomber Offline
Were we discussing intelligent design?! I didn't notice it anywhere.

beachcomber
Re: Cape Neddick ME (Nubble) 2005 Winter #104392 11/18/05 02:58 AM
L
Lamplighter Offline
L
Greetings from the left coast. After talking
with John about the Nubble piece and after seeing
it many times in the LH Depot catalog. we emailed
Harbour Lights with a long-standing complaint
about recurring lighthouses and seasonal issues.
We dropped the GLOWs because of the light up feature and didn't particularly want to see it in
the LE's. Well, guess what. We got a box from
Harbour Lights with Nubble in it. The packing
slip showed no charge. I think that may be their
way of getting rid of them. I'll add it to the
collection but I sure wouldn't have bought it.
By the way, doesn't HL know that there is a left
coast and we have lighthoused too? We finally
have the Pt. Vicente lens and a LLOM but no LE.
It's long overdue. That's our 2 cents worth!!

Rich & Marilyn

Re: Cape Neddick ME (Nubble) 2005 Winter #104393 11/18/05 03:04 AM
beachcomber Offline
Good for you, Rich and Marilyn. Maybe if more of us spoke up, we might get some results. You are absolutely right about the West Coast. I was looking over my collection recently and realized that I don't have a lot of West Coast lights - hello!!

beachcomber

Moderated by  MtnHkr 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,025 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users