Print Thread
Question #10345 06/23/99 07:34 PM
F
FredKuhl Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
F
We all keep saying that we love lighthouses and collect Harbour Lights because they are the best on the market.

We also have regular discussions on whether we collect LEs only - or LEs and GLOWS.

Now the question:
Since we all love lighthouses and Harbour Lights quality;
How many of you would collect HL if they had produced nothing but GLOWs?

The Ancient Mariner
No this is not a pre-release survey on the new mini line. Which I, for one, will probably collect. How about you?

Oops, that's two questions.

Re: Question #10346 06/23/99 07:55 PM
Digger Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Since my collection is based on detail, realism and eye-appeal with no regard to future values that makes this an easy question to answer. I love lighthouses and as far as detailed reproductions to the real thing, GLOWS are true masterpieces!

When I bought my first HL I knew nothing about LE's, GLOWS, variations, etc., I bought it simply because I loved it. If it had been a GLOW and that is all HL's ever produced, I know that I would still have a curio full of them. Increased future value is rewarding, Love for a piece of fine art is forever!

Digger

Re: Question #10347 06/23/99 08:20 PM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
>>How many of you would collect HL if they had produced nothing but GLOWs?<<

In the complete absence of LEs I'd probably enhance my interest in lighthouses by collecting stamps with pictures of navigational aids, or by making more trips to see real lighthouses. Neither the wife nor I are typically willing to spend $50-$60 on a knick-knack - regardless of what it is. The likelihood that we'd collect these pricey knick-knacks is even lower.

Part of the enjoyment that comes from collecting Limited Editions is in the knowledge that the collection may hold onto its value. I'm much more willing to spend $75-$125 for a plaster model knowing this than I would be for one with unlimited supply. Without the value factor, knick-knacks are boring but some are definitely cuter than others.

A more interesting question is: if HL only made gift-ware from the get-go, would the company even exist today? I for one rather doubt it. I am highly confident we wouldn't be responding to this topic because this forum would not exist.

This is all just one man's opinion. Something tells me we'll hear from a group who'd collect GLOWs even if there was no electricity. :-)

9 more days,
__
/im

Re: Question #10348 06/23/99 11:54 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
I purchased the Southeast Block Island HL in September of 1994. I had no idea if it was a limited edition or an expensive knick-knack. I frequent Block Island each summer and the Southeast Light is one of my favorite stops on the island. I paid $75 for it which was a lot of money for a knick-knack back then. I liked it...I bought it...it's only money.

Three years later I stumbled into Lighthouse Keepers on the "net" and found out that my $75 knick-knack was worth a lot more than I paid for it. This inspired me to take a closer look at HLs. I bought another...then another...and so on...and so on...until I found out I'm only missing about nine LEs. Needless to say, I have made a financial commitment to HL products.

Now back to the original question...would I have made this committment to HL products if they were only open editions? I would probably have to say yes. In Massachusetts where taxes are low and the cost of living is cheaper than other parts of the country, all the citizens of the Commonwealth have expendable cash to spend on whatever we want. I chose to spend my expendable cash on HLs.

Call them what you may...open editions...Glows...knick-knacks....giftware...or whatever. I like them, and I buy them. And, yes, I have a spot picked out in my main curio for my new Coquille River Glow. OEs have a place of honor right next to the LEs in my home.

The halogen lights shine bright on the HLs in my curios. If electricity hadn't been invented I would probably worked nights so I could enjoy viewing the OEs & LEs during the daylight hours. Always keep an "open" mind when purchasing HLs.

From the East Coast where Captain Bob is about to load "It's Only Money" for a journey to Nantucket for a week. I hope to be spending a little time with my three buddies: Brant Point, Great Point, and Sankaty Head, while I'm there. It's time to give the old Canon A-1 a workout!

Bob

Re: Question #10349 06/24/99 12:04 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Question 1: Probably not *collect* them but might be tempted to buy a few that appealed.

Question 2: Will have to wait to see what they look like. If they're anything like mini Point Fermin they should blow the competition away.

Mombo

Re: Question #10350 06/24/99 01:21 AM
D
Dove Point Light Offline
D
I agree with Digger. I joined the collectors society before I was a collector-it was the only way I could get the original Fermin. It was a CA light, and I was in AZ at the time. I occasionally drove across the desert to see the sea, and planned to visit Fermin, Vicente, and L.A. Harbor light. I have never regretted joining the society or collecting HL. I have no intention of selling them. It's cool that the gained monetary value-it makes me feel better about buying HL when I knew I really couldn't afford them (food or HL? Hey, live on the edge-HL!) I would have started buying them if they were OE, and I would still be buying them if they were only OE. But thenI have a small collection compared to most, primarily due to $. Didn't collect at all for 2 years. Making up for it now.

Re: Question #10351 06/24/99 01:32 AM
LamarB Offline
Tim, you echoed my sentiments exactly point by point. We buy few expensive souvenirs when we travel, even fewer at home. I might buy a few GLOWs that particularly appealed to me simply because I love lighthouses. I have one or two of other lines.

However, I seriously doubt that I'd have a collection of 133 of them as I do the LE's. The LE's captured my imagination and hold me in their fascinating spell! :-)

Hey Bob. Block Island SE was my first one, too.

------------------
Keepin' the flame

[This message has been edited by LamarB (edited 06-23-99).]

Re: Question #10352 06/24/99 03:26 AM
Art Offline
Electricity? What's that?

-B. Franklin

-Art
Re: Question #10353 06/24/99 09:09 AM
Lighthousedude Offline
I am going to agree with Digger on this one.

I buy them because I like them. I have no real concern for future value because they are all priceless treasures to me.

It is nice to know that some of my pieces will increase in value but since I'll probably never part with them it doesn't matter. I'll probably leave them to my son or daughter after the "final day".

Keep the Flame!!

Re: Question #10354 06/24/99 10:34 AM
Augie K. Offline
I collect HL lighthouse just for the fun of it. The lighthouses I buy, I buy because of their appearance. I have a few retired pieces that were purchased because my wife and myself grew up in the area they are in.

We both enjoy our collection of lighthouses. We do it for the shear joy of it and not for any financial gain.

------------------
Keep The Light Burning.

The Flame

Augie K.
NELL Member
Re: Question #10355 06/24/99 10:36 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Agreeing with Digger and Mike on having the HL because I enjoy the pieces that I have collected over the last three years. My grandchildren will benefit from my collection when I am gone.
Derith

Re: Question #10356 06/24/99 11:14 AM
Q
QC Offline
Q
Oh Boy! I agree with Tim. I love lighthouses and Harbour Lights. I also am a collector. So the LE's hit 3 of my things. If there were only GLOWS I would have some but not as many and maybe not with the same passion. I mean you guys even have me using ebay!
Take Care
QC

George
Re: Question #10357 06/24/99 11:53 AM
JohnL Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I have to agree with digger. I first saw HL's when I went into a store to look at a Christmas gift for my mother. I saw all the HL's and I couldn't believe how beautiful and detailed they were. I immediately saw Fire Island and I was hooked. I bought the piece because I loved the way it looked. It wouldn't matter if it were a LE of GLOW, They are all beautiful.

John

Wave after wave will flow in the tide and bury the world as it does.
Re: Question #10358 06/24/99 01:16 PM
LADYBUG Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I collect Harbour Lights because of my love for lighthouses and the outstanding detail they provide. I do have some other types of lighthouses but they sit in the back room away from the Harbour Lights -- not nearly the quality. If GLOWS were the only HLs available I would definitely buy them. My collection now totals over 200 pieces all purchased at retail (no duplicates, but some variations). We started collecting in 1991 and Admiralty Head was our first one -- I anxiously await each new arrival including the GLOWS. My husband has started collecting ABs--but only the lightships. LADYBUG

Re: Question #10359 06/24/99 02:48 PM
D
DonnaJLM Offline
D
What Digger, Mike and Derrith said. I still like the proposed Wacko bumper sticker "I spent my kid's inheritance on Harbour Lights!"

Re: Question #10360 06/24/99 05:20 PM
Todd Shorkey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I would have to say that I would not collect GLOWS.

I purchased my first HL as a gift. I had no intentions of becoming a collector, but as I spent more time with it, learned more about it and collectibles in general, found the website, ect.... I decided that I was going to be a collector of Harbour Lights.

Agree with me or not, I don't consider GLOWS collectables. You can collect them, but they are not collectables. I will say that I am glad they have their place, and people find enjoyment in them. They are just not for me.

-Todd

Re: Question #10361 06/25/99 11:34 AM
R
RMau Offline
Wacko
Wacko
R
Late to the party as usual. Traveling this week and haven't kept up. Shame on me

I think part of the equation that hasn't been addressed is the definition of 'collect'. Many responses have been framed in the context of the 'value' of the LE's vs. the OE's, especially over time. However, I once heard a definition of collecting that goes something like, any group of more than three of something is a collection.

By that reasoning, if a person eventually bought four OE's, they'd have a collection. And they'd have it because they enjoy the thing they bought four of, regardless of it's monetary value.

Two cents from muggy south Florida.
Rick

Re: Question #10362 06/25/99 01:13 PM
JohnL Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I have heard the same thing about what constituted a collection. I try to purchase Lighthouses that I have visited. I'm looking foward to purchasing the St. Augustine and St. Simons GLOW's.

John

Re: Question #10363 06/25/99 01:21 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hey Rick,
Are you in my area?
How long are you going to be here?
Visited any of our lights this trip?
Contacted Cumberland--only fly overs are
allowed. I am considering that for Saturday, August 21st.
Derith

[This message has been edited by Derith Bennett (edited 06-25-99).]

Re: Question #10364 06/28/99 01:05 AM
A
Al and Kathy Offline
A
Began this collection of LEs with a gift. Have never collected anything before. Really got into it because we loved the lighthouses and the LEs were exciting to find. Would this collection "be" if they had been OEs? - I'm not sure that the same "thrill" would have been there. We wouldn't have ended up with so many of them so fast. OEs are a part of that collection now - due to their workmanship. If we quit buying them, it won't hurt our HL colleciton. If we quit buying LEs (don't think that'll ever happen even though it's discussed as we think about another curio), we'd wonder about hurting our collection. We don't plan on making the minis a part of it.

Kathy

[This message has been edited by Al and Kathy (edited 06-27-99).]

Re: Question #10365 06/28/99 04:09 PM
JohnL Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Just purchased the St. Augustine GLOW today and it is awesome. Saw that they had the St. Simons Island GlOW as well, but I held off until a later date.

Re: Question #10366 06/28/99 08:13 PM
N
Noelle Offline
N
I think I would still have collected if they were all OEs, I had been collecting lighthouses even before I knew about HL. I only started collecting HLs because they had more of the lighthouses I had been to, and that's why I originally started collecting any lighthouses, to get the ones I had been to. Then I just liked the way HLs looked compared to any other line.
I have both OEs and LEs in my collection, and enjoy both the same.

Re: Question #10367 06/29/99 03:34 AM
S
sCalBG Offline
S
Before I knew anything at all about LE's vs. GLOW's I had already purchased three GLOW's - Point Loma, Cape Hatteras, and Cape Neddick. I think all of these lighthouse sculptures have a value beyond what I could get if I sold them, which is not in my plans. I hope to pass my collection on to my kids. LE's or GLOW's - they both have my appreciation.

------------------
Bill
@ @
.<.
_U_

Bill
@ @
.<.
_U_
Re: Question #10368 06/29/99 11:21 AM
JohnL Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I agree with you sCalBG. I have no intention of ever selling my collection and the value that they have to me personally is indescribable.
I'm planning on going to LI in August and I have a few lighthouses that I'm going to see. Like you Noelle, I collect the lighthouses that I have been too. That is the only reason I started collecting them.

John

Re: Question #10369 07/04/99 02:45 AM
D
dwood Offline
D
Pretty much agree with what's been said. I had been visiting lighthouses for years and suddenly noticed replicas. Started looking for ones I'd visited, and HL were far and away the best. Then got into the culture and the LEs and the OEs - might not have stuck with just HL if I hadn't found the websites and the info available.

Dixie

Re: Question #10370 07/05/99 01:12 AM
DeDo Offline
Hi,
Just found this thread, been away at Cape Cod for a week. With our love of visiting lighthouses I'm sure we would have bought GLOWs to remember those trips.
However, our first purchase was a LE & the next 30 have been the same. Glows will reside with us someday especially the expensive retired pieces.
We will limit the collecting to HLs, no minis, ornaments etc. There is enough catching up to do already!!

Donna

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Dave H), 1,324 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users