Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! #103584 01/05/05 11:54 PM
seagirt Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
The HL world is coming to an end. Whoever said it was right.

Page 15. Lighthouse Digest.

HEREFORD INLET COLOURWAYS.

Yes, it is true. There is a spring Hereford now out. It loks just like the fall one, but the trees are different colours.

I see only one advantage to this piece: it is a better representation of the lighthouse in Dijon form than the Fall piece. It would go better with your original, pretty, sharp-looking white Hereford HL as a "then and now" of sorts. But that's it.

If you don't already have an original Hereford, don't worry, they should be available for less than a dollar soon on eBay due to the now destroyed secondary market.

At least it's Hereford and not a more friendly lighthouse. laugh

Re: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! #103585 01/06/05 12:18 AM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
And who says that Harbour Lights doesn't listen to their collectors.

Rich
Re: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! #103586 01/08/05 10:54 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
If you don't already have an original Hereford, don't worry, they should be available for less than a dollar soon on eBay due to the now destroyed secondary market.
Things aren't that bad. The issue of a spring edition of Hereford will not effect the price of the original release. You will still pay retail in the store and about half that on eBay if you find a dealer dumping their stock.

I'm sure this is another expirament by Harbour Lights to test the waters for seasonal issues of the same light. The only positive thing I can find with this is if you are a big fan of Hereford Light you will have even another version to make you smile.

Reissues have to be a lot cheaper to produce. Research is already done, molds were made, and with a few swipes of a paint brush, you have another 3000 or so HL's available, give or take a few other add-ons. More profit for the company as long as they all sell.

The negative aspect lies with the autoship people, some of which are complete collection people. As an autoship person, I would prefer to purchase new and different lights rather than reissues of a light that is already in my collection.

My committment to maintaining a complete collection will soon be coming to an end. I will continue to keep purchasing one of every LE, AB, and lens they issue, but the time is near to start to thin out my inventory. I am the only member of my family that has a sincere interest in Harbour Lights. My cellar and storage closets are over run with HL's and boxes. I have run out of room to store these things.

I now finally realize there is no benefit of having one of everything. I can't display but maybe 25% of my collection at any one time. Most every new release gets a quick inspection then a trip to storage when it comes into my home. Can anyone tell me why I should maintain a complete collection any longer? Can anyone give me a good reason to continue to do this?

confused Bob confused

Re: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! #103587 01/08/05 11:06 AM
seagirt Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Bob, in answer to that last statement, no. If you are only displaying those few HLs, then you must have thousands of dollars worth of pieces sitting in storage. You're better off selling what you don't like now, and using some of that money to take Lorna on a trip somewhere. laugh Fill in the blanks: C_ _ _ I _ _ E _ N.

I think she'll like that....fewer of those little lighthouses clogging the house, and some... personal time between you two. wink

Re: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! #103588 01/08/05 04:52 PM
B
beaconbyers Offline
B
I decided one day to enjoy all of my 223 Harbour Lights LE's. Down to the lumber company-Blonde Mahogany shelves were built and all displayed. Everyday I can sit at the computer (like I'm doing now ) and enjoy them. As far as the boxes go.....I'll be happy to give directions to the dump. For me to find something new on a piece I thought I had thoroughly examined is an added treat. Yes the light went on one day...enjoy them all by displaying all of them. My wife and I live in a 2 bedroom condo-the 2nd bedroom is "the collectors room. She has her Byers Choice and I've my Harbour Lights. I'd rather dust them every couple of months and enjoy them.

KonaSatch
Re: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! #103589 01/12/05 12:29 PM
Bigbird Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Well since I can relate to the fact of no room (or money!!!), and also guess that I am not in for the resale value (though I keep the boxes), I have still been picking up some to where the number is now to 53 from 3 at this time last year, and one is the fall Hereford after having the Christmas piece. I got it for the fact that it was about $15 below retail and it is a nice piece (and looks cosiderably different than the smaller original; and a 3 digit number).

Now to play devil's advocate, not that the collector's with autoship or investment/resale on their mind will be any happier, but doesn't a small portion of each sale go to the aid of refurbishing/maintaining each light? If so, pieces like Sand Island, Round Island, MS & Sanibel for instance may need more sales (or pieces issued), but some are not changing and/or picturesque like others (which presents the opportunity for the Hereford's and Portland Heads). I mean can you imagine a series of summer/spring/winter/fall Sanibel Island?? :rolleyes: smile

I believe that the fact that e-bay sells most for under retail and hence the sales have dropped at retailers so they use e-bay to bale is more to blame than the multiple issues are, though I'm sure it shoulders it's own share of the blame. On the other hand, I've seen several on E-Bay go for considerable over the retail and those that place reserves keep the prices from plummeting too low. I bid on the MI CHristmas piece the other day and though the opening bid was at $40, the reserve was still not met at it's retail price of $80. It didn't sell, but I've seen less attractive pieces go for more.

Steve (and his humble opinion) cool

Health through education, for a much misguided nation!!
Re: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! #103590 01/12/05 01:52 PM
Dave H Online
Saint
Saint
Steve,

Donations are made only on a limited number of pieces. Generally ones that were called a "Restoration Series" got the donations. I believe Sapelo may have, and Rockland Breakwater did. Harbour Lights has, over the years, been very generous to lighthouses around the country in the way of support in a variety of ways.

Multiple issues of a given light would help that light if their own gift shop were selling them to visitors. Obviously, Saint Augustine's gift shop is going to sell a large number of the new piece featuring their light, and will thus make the income (profit) from that sale.

Re: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! #103591 01/12/05 02:05 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
A portion of the sales of GLOWs also goes to lighthouse preservation from Harbour Lights.

Re: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! #103592 01/14/05 12:19 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
Multiple issues of a given light would help that light if their own gift shop were selling them to visitors. Obviously, Saint Augustine's gift shop is going to sell a large number of the new piece featuring their light, and will thus make the income (profit) from that sale.
That's a good thing but will this turn into a new series of HL's called, "Annual Issue Series"? I would much rather buy a replica of some obscure but interesting new light than another version of one I already have.

:rolleyes: Bob :rolleyes:

Re: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! #103593 01/14/05 03:15 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:
I would much rather buy a replica of some obscure but interesting new light than another version of one I already have.
I must agree with Bob M 100%.

bobo

Re: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! #103594 01/15/05 12:44 AM
Bill and Judy Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
We agree too.
Judy

Re: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! #103595 01/15/05 01:22 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Couldn't agree more.

Bert smile

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! #103596 01/15/05 09:24 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
The problem is that Harbour Lights doesn't agree. They can make more money by retintroducing popular lights and selling many of them to mostly non-collectors then by making obscure lights and only selling a few to collectors like us. It's a matter of profit these days rather then limited editions collectibles.

Rich
Re: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! #103597 01/16/05 12:29 AM
Ron Offline
I could not have said it better Rich.

Moderated by  MtnHkr 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Rock, Dave H), 1,582 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users