cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Check your Sand Is., AL for damage! #103363 07/07/03 04:54 PM
Stainz Offline OP
OP Offline
I thought I had 'found' a new home - the mail order (no S/H) from a Nags Head, NC dealer sounded great. The FEDEX delivery fellow nearly 'got me'. I caught him as he deposited my delivery on my stoop. The box was poorly taped, actually open, and appeared to have been wet and dried. The delivery fellow offered to let me look inside... the H-L boxes were somewhat loose but square. He looked inside the Sand Is, AL box - the plastic bag was pulled down exposing the tower - and a rather obvious chip from the lamphouse perimeter. No chip in the styrofoam, so I assumed it had either been packed or repacked that way. He suggested I refuse it - and return it. I did - a first for me. Now what? Do I get a refund to my charge card?

I received a call from my local dealer just minutes ago - they had elected, after telling me they wouldn't, to order the Sand Is, AL lighthouse. They had six arrive today - and all but one was damaged, all in different places. What gives?? Very aggravating. I may have to go buy that one - but what should I expect from that dealer that shipped me, perhaps even knowingly, a defective piece?

Check your Sand Is, AL lighthouse!

Stainz

Re: Check your Sand Is., AL for damage! #103364 07/07/03 05:01 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
My Sand Island, AL arrived in Indy in perfect shape..

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Check your Sand Is., AL for damage! #103365 07/07/03 07:22 PM
ga light man Offline
My Sand Alabama arrived in great shape.Also I deal eith the good folks in Nags Head also and they are very careful when packing their lighthouses.My box arrived totally open and looked as if someone tried to retape it too.
Looks like to me that may be someone at fedex may be checking packages possibly for security reasons.Believe me the folks in Nags Head are very honest and would not send anyone a damaged lighthouse.
Rick

Re: Check your Sand Is., AL for damage! #103366 07/07/03 08:58 PM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I have to agree. The damage was not because of the way the box was packed and sent from The Lighthouse Gallery.

When it leaves their place the package is sturdier that FT. Knox! The owners of the Lighthouse Gallery are extremely honest, and I hope you will give them another chance.

Judy

Judy
Re: Check your Sand Is., AL for damage! #103367 07/07/03 10:11 PM
Stainz Offline OP
OP Offline
The folks there were indeed too nice not to try again - I will let them iron it out with FEDEX. I called them and was informed that refusing it was the proper step.

Oddly, I tracked the package and it arrived and was loaded for distribution Friday AM very early... no Saturday delivery now? It did not arrive until after lunch today (Monday). I cannot imagine someone 'inspecting' such a package, although it did smell inside of cigarette smoke, something my refound asthma detects quite easily. The driver was very nice - and a non-smoker. It is odd that the local dealer got five damaged LH's... I didn't ask them if theirs were taped in the plastic (Recall, mine wasn't. It definitely had been 'inspected' by someone!). I just want a decent Sand Island now... and a good stocking dealer to order from! I trust I have found one.

John

Re: Check your Sand Is., AL for damage! #103368 07/07/03 11:29 PM
ga light man Offline
John,
Greg and Maureen at Lighthouse Gallery will go out of their way to make sure you will a returning customer and they will get you another Sand Alabama.Just tell them that Rick from Georgia said to give you just a bit of that special treatment that I always receive from them.
Rick

Re: Check your Sand Is., AL for damage! #103369 07/08/03 01:41 AM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
John...another clue that says the box was opened after it left The Lighthouse Gallery...

Neither Greg nor Maureen are smokers.

Judy

Judy
Re: Check your Sand Is., AL for damage! #103370 07/08/03 02:06 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
If FedEx (or anyone else) opened the package, I would hope that they should have had some type of sticker affixed that indicated it was opened for inspection. Pretty sad when someone starts rummaging through your collectibles deliveries.

Dave

Re: Check your Sand Is., AL for damage! #103371 07/14/03 08:27 PM
Stainz Offline OP
OP Offline
I did not get much time to study the FEDEX package as the driver was 'in a hurry'. I noted, before we opened it, that the top was not together - the strip of tape did not connect the too. As I said, the Sand Is. LH had the plastic pulled down... not tucked and taped like new from H-L packages.

I elected to track the package back to the dealer's - where it arrived the AM of 7-10. I still haven't heard from the dealer. Perhaps I will see a package in a day or so. They did seem quite nice on the phone. I still can't get over my local dealer getting five of six Sand Is LH's in that were defective. I keep thinking... get that good one! L-H gluttony. Of course, what I have 'invested' dictates I wait. I will update when there is news.

John

Re: Check your Sand Is., AL for damage! #103372 07/14/03 10:25 PM
Dick Johnson Offline
After a long string of being one of the first to get the new releases I am now anxious about it's delivery. My saving grace may be that I pick up mine directly from the dealer, and that hopefully takes away from the potential damage of a third party.

From some of the postings I almost wonder if the packages are being inspected as potential security threats. Is there something about the design that alerts security from an Xray that there may be a problem. We just returned from Alaska and noticed that they inspected our luggage. However, they had a seal on the luggage, and an explaination in the suitcase as to why it had been searched. Recomendation: don't put neat rocks in your luggage, they may think it is explosives.

Re: Check your Sand Is., AL for damage! #103373 07/15/03 09:27 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Just received 7 lighthouse via FEDEX and all arrived in tip top shape, including Sand Island. The box was sealed and had never been opened as far as I can tell. Master Card, oh Master Card, how thee loves my collecting habits.

Rich
Re: Check your Sand Is., AL for damage! #103374 07/15/03 11:37 PM
Stainz Offline OP
OP Offline
The Sand Is and Texas Reef L-H's arrived today in great shape - very nice, indeed! The FEDEX guy left them in a large plastic bag... a bit ominous at first - probably a T-storm precaution (10% chance today). Great to have them... good folks to deal with, too.

John

Moderated by  MtnHkr 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,328 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users