Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Three Sisters heads-up #103276 04/26/04 11:52 PM
S
Sarge Offline OP
OP Offline
S
This week-end we picked up the Three Sisters event piece when Nancy came to town. When we got home, we noticed several bits lying in the box. Discovered that they were from the tree limbs. This evening we took the piece back to the dealer for a replacement. They had two more in stock, and both those also had limb damage. In all three cases it was to the two trees next to the center light house. The dealer ordered us a new piece, but we wanted to let all of you know that if you buy this one, pay very close attention to the tree limbs.

Re: Three Sisters heads-up #103277 04/27/04 12:12 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
FWIW, this piece also fits into the styrofoam a little different. When returning it to the foam, you actually slip one edge under a lip in the foam. If you try to place it flat on the base, it won't go, and with all the trees it wouldn't be too hard to trim one of the trees.

Re: Three Sisters heads-up #103278 04/27/04 07:30 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
It’s true that the Three Sisters had a flaw. As previously mentioned, the tree limbs have a strong tendency towards limb damage.

According to Chris, owner/manager of Collector’s World, Cape Cod, MA, the metal wires that were intended to be placed inside the limbs -- due to a manufacturing oversight -- were accidentally eliminated. Chris told me that he had reported the problem to Harbour Lights and that the wire will be incorporated into future pieces.

Unless the limbs are already broken, however, there apparently will be no way to ascertain which is which unless you have access to an X-ray machine or have a close friend with X-ray vision. Or I suppose you could always break it to find out, but that would be a rather drastic approach.

Re: Three Sisters heads-up #103279 04/27/04 09:44 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Earth to HL Quality Control! Hello HL Quality Control! Can you read me, HL Quality Control?

There should be an immediate recall with a subsequent bulldozing of the defective pieces. There is a very good reputation at stake here. Now is not the time to cut corners to try and save a buck.

Anyone disagree? Do I have a "second" on this motion?

confused Bob confused

Re: Three Sisters heads-up #103280 04/27/04 10:39 PM
Tom and Joyce Abbott Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
We picked up our Three Sisters at the St. Augustine Regional. The dealer said quite a few had damage on the trees. Ours looked OK at the time. Just checked it again and couldn't find any damage. There is a pretty big glob of glue in the tree leaves and some styrofoam stuck to the top of one of the trees, but looks like all of the limbs are intact.

If there is supposed to be wire in the tree limbs for strength and it wasn't used, HL probably should do a "recall".

Tom & Joyce
Re: Three Sisters heads-up #103281 04/27/04 11:16 PM
Lorie Roe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
My piece came in kind of like Tom & Joyce's. The trees are fine but the styrofoam (plastic) wrapped around the trees was glued or stuck on in places. It was very hard to remove it. I finally had to take a very fine needle and gently pick out the plastic.

Re: Three Sisters heads-up #103282 04/28/04 07:56 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Has there been any changes at Harbour Lights we don't know about? We were on a roll for quite some time. Each new piece was getting better and better. This year saw the Anchor Bay, George Cobb, with inferior stickers on the sides of it. Now we have tree limbs crumbling from a piece. Maybe you'll get lucky and receive yours without damage, but will it fall apart in the near future.

My view is, "Make it right, or don't make it at all".

mad Bob mad

Re: Three Sisters heads-up #103283 04/28/04 10:50 AM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I guess i'm in with the fortunate ones. My THREE SISTERS came in fine condition. I did notice that the trees do move very easily and have made sure that when I handle the piece it is by the bottom only. I think this is a good idea on all the pieces, but this one in particular. THREE SISTERS is a very well done piece and my hope is that it never gets broken.

Bert smile

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: Three Sisters heads-up #103284 04/28/04 12:23 PM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I purchased my Three Sisters at the In-House event Easter weekend at the Lighthouse Gallery.

The owners were smart. They let Nancy be the one to take these out of the boxes for signing!

I was very fortunate with mine. Getting the foam off once home was a bit tricky. This is going to be one of those that won't take much handling.

I also brought home the "Gold" Sister!!

Judy

Judy
Re: Three Sisters heads-up #103285 04/28/04 02:55 PM
Roxie Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Lighthouser:
I also brought home the "Gold" Sister!!

Judy
You lucky Lady! laugh

Marblehead, Mass. Lighthouse, you will always have a very special place in our hearts. ....We've made the journey as far south as New Jersey, as far north as Canada. Over 100 lighthouses visited.... and so many more to go.
Re: Three Sisters heads-up #103286 04/28/04 11:36 PM
K
KT Offline
K
Funny thing Bob, when I talked to my dealer about my disappointment with the George Cobb they told me they were wondering if HL changed manufacturers as they thought the quality was slipping.

Ken T
Re: Three Sisters heads-up #103287 04/29/04 02:18 AM
MelJB Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I had not unpacked my 3 Sisters yet, (Cindy did you get the event pc at Mole Hole? think I bought at the same dealer as Sarge & Mrs.) and held my breath, but lucky I could not find any damage!
Was really worried too because the pcs had all been unpacked by the dealer before Nancy got there, and were waiting for her signature, so I didn't see how the pc looked packed, and had to figure out on my own placement of the foam.

Melody
Re: Three Sisters heads-up #103288 04/29/04 11:02 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Well if the HL piece had shown these lights as they were in their original location there wouldn't have been a tree problem. (See 2nd photo here.)

http://www.lighthouse.cc/nauset/history.html

They could have left off all those trees and added the keeper's house, imo. I'd rather have a sculpture that emphasizes the lighthouses, not a forest...

The piece, as produced, isn't really acurate anyway with lantern rooms on all three towers.

Re: Three Sisters heads-up #103289 04/29/04 03:44 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Very well said, Sue.
I agree with you.
This piece should be called "Three Sisters of Nauset Forest"

Re: Three Sisters heads-up #103290 04/30/04 09:30 AM
S
Sarge Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Melody,

We got it at Ashley Avery's. We sent an email to Nancy to let her know.

Re: Three Sisters heads-up #103291 05/03/04 02:33 PM
Rock Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Trees, flagpoles, fences, stair railings, they're all the same on the LEs these days, overdone and very user-unfriendly...Sue, I too miss the days when HL emphasized the LE lighthouse, not the light station. This is one that should've been done with 3 small sisters that could "interlock" or be displayed separately...I knew when I saw the pic that I'd be passing on it...

Re: Three Sisters heads-up #103292 06/17/04 03:22 AM
Lightseeker Offline
Wacko
Wacko
At a store appearance in New Jersey last weekend, Bill Younger tapped on a Three Sisters' tree trunk with his fingernail to illustrate that they are now solid metal. Apparently this was their solution to the breakage problem. Should work!

I believe that the strength of Y&A's reputation for quality lies in the fact that if there's a problem, they'll fix it. And often they'll do a little more . . .

I really like the piece. I can see how all the trees could be viewed as detracting from the lighthouses themselves. But to me, the piece works as a whole and, frankly, the thought (and photo) of three unremarkable lighthouses lined up all in a row on bare ground is kind of boring. I like the fall foliage, I'm glad they omitted pumpkins and ghosts, and I think the Nauset GLOW would make a nice companion piece to display alongside.

Bruce

Moderated by  MtnHkr 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 929 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users