Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
HL726 Sturgeon Point MI Lighthouse Close Up Images #102518 06/18/10 07:59 PM
WackoPaul Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
This is my favorite of the 2010 releases, Sue and I often have visited this lighthouse on the way either to or from the Alpena Lighthouse Festival, plus a few other times on trips in Michigan... I feel that I saved the best to last..

I shot this image to show that the Santa and sleigh with tiny reindeer is removable if you don't want to display the lighthouse with them..

Harry included grooves in the snow that the sleigh runners made..

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: HL726 Sturgeon Point MI Lighthouse Close Up Images #102519 06/18/10 08:00 PM
WackoPaul Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint

Re: HL726 Sturgeon Point MI Lighthouse Close Up Images #102520 06/18/10 08:01 PM
WackoPaul Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint

Re: HL726 Sturgeon Point MI Lighthouse Close Up Images #102521 06/19/10 01:37 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
I like the three-dimensional holly and berries on the flag. Is this a first?

Re: HL726 Sturgeon Point MI Lighthouse Close Up Images #102522 06/19/10 01:45 PM
WackoPaul Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
No, John, they have been there since the HL701 Colchester Reef Christmas Lighthouse, these are just very nicely done.. There was no flag on the 1st Christmas Lighthouse, Big Bay.. There are a lot of very nice touches on this light including the little crescent Moon on the outhouse door.. The decorated tree by the door near the tower is very well done.

The shape of the tower on Sturgeon Point Lighthouse is one of the things I always always liked about visiting it. It isn't like most conical towers as it isn't conical all the way to the lantern room.. The top 1/5 of the tower goes straight up and then the supports to the lantern room flair out. There is another tower that isn't conical all the way to the lantern room but it is because they made the tower taller after a few years and the is Portland Head Lighthouse. As far as I can tell Sturgeon Point was just designed and built this way not extended at a later time..

The sculpture is a very nice size, without being to big, with a 7 to 8 inch long footprint and the tower hitting 7 inches tall (with the feet because it lights up).

The shutters are closed in this image which gives it a whole different look, I am glad Harry designed the replica with the shutters open..

Re: HL726 Sturgeon Point MI Lighthouse Close Up Images #102523 06/20/10 12:48 PM
CAVR Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
There are a lot of interesting tid-bits with this piece.

The snow on the roof is very well done. You can tell Harry's talents are getting better and better each year. The removable Santa and deer is a very nice touch, at least for me, as I will probably display it without this addition. The sleigh tracks are a neat idea though!

The bare deciduous trees are a nice touch that we don't see much; like that used on the HL265 Sherwood Point, WI piece. Similar to the original HL707 Old Field Point, NY Christmas 1997 piece before the trees became conifers due to breakage issues.

As pointed out, the holly and berry on the flag stands out more and looks great!

The only 2 downfalls that I see, for my tastes, are that the lantern room appears disproportionate (smaller) than it should be, and it would have been nice to have the Christmas tree removable as well.

Over all, very nicely done, and should be a good seller considering it is a Michigan light.

-Christopher
"CAVR"
Re: HL726 Sturgeon Point MI Lighthouse Close Up Images #102524 06/21/10 01:11 PM
WackoPaul Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Every time I look at the HL726 Sturgeon Point Lighthouse, which is still sitting on my photo table, I want to sit down and plan a road trip to the lighthouse.. I think we have a conflict with Alpena being on the schedule this year, but I may have to work it out and get back up there.

I disagree on the Christmas tree Chris, it is really a nice touch on the lighthouse and extremely well done.

Re: HL726 Sturgeon Point MI Lighthouse Close Up Images #102525 07/03/10 03:55 PM
W
wyattd01 Offline
W
I'm really torn on this one???
I've been to Sturgeon Point on several occasions and in some ways I agree with Chris. Although the light is very unique, some of the little details like Santa and the x-mas tree are a bit much.
It makes it hard to display this light during non x-mas months, whereas the other annual x-mas lighthouses are just a simple winter scene with little hints of the hoilday, this one screams x-mas all over the place!
The lantern room does seem to have a weird look to it too.
I do like the detail on the outhouse, bare trees on the backside, flag pole, and the snow on the roof smile

Dave
Re: HL726 Sturgeon Point MI Lighthouse Close Up Images #102526 07/03/10 04:14 PM
WackoPaul Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I have to disagree with you on this statement, Dave..

Quote:
It makes it hard to display this light during non x-mas months, whereas the other annual x-mas lighthouses are just a simple winter scene, this one screams x-mas all over the place!
A lot of the Christmas Lighthouses have either a Christmas wreath or Christmas tree on them since the very first one..

1995 HL700 Big Bay Point, MI

2009 HL725 Burnt Island, ME

I display all of the Christmas Lighthouses together all year long and when somebody visits for the first time; they are usually drawn to them first.

If you take Santa and the reindeer off and display it without them, the only hint of Christmas left is the Christmas tree and the HL flag with Christmas and the year on it which all of the Christmas lighthouses but Big Bay have on them..

Re: HL726 Sturgeon Point MI Lighthouse Close Up Images #102527 07/03/10 07:48 PM
docsweetie Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I also display my Christmas HLs all year in my HL display case. But I pull them out specially during the season. I put them all on a table from Turkey day till January 1. Everyone loves to see the different styles of lighthouses, plus find the unique additions for the Christmas season. My grandkids are particularly enamored with the Christmas HLs! I didn't get the 2009 ordered in time and that is the only one I don't have from the last 10 years. I won't make that same mistake again with Sturgeon Point!

docsweetie
From Grandkids: Aka Grandma Lighthouse
Re: HL726 Sturgeon Point MI Lighthouse Close Up Images #102528 07/03/10 09:10 PM
docsweetie Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Post Number two on same topic:
If people don't want a Christmas touch, then for heaven's sake, don't buy the lighthouse! I love my Christmas HLs. My grandkids always are looking at them to find the snowmen or wreaths etc. I know they will love the sleigh. I think Christmas can be a part of your life all year long. In fact, I have a Christmas tree (small) in my den that stays up all year that has my lighthouse ornaments on it. When the grandkids stay with me, we turn on the lights and watch the Hallmark lighthouses blink on and off. Too bad 2009 was the last year for that series. I have lots of other small lighthouse ornaments from my travels. It's great fun to be a lighthouse collector including the Christmas HLs with all the added decor.

docsweetie
From Grandkids: Aka Grandma Lighthouse
Re: HL726 Sturgeon Point MI Lighthouse Close Up Images #102529 07/04/10 01:41 PM
W
wyattd01 Offline
W
Wow wow wow, lets not get to touchy on the subject here. Remember we are all entitled to have an opinion. I'm sure there are some lights that others may like that you don't. No one ever said that they were not going to buy this piece.

Dave
Re: HL726 Sturgeon Point MI Lighthouse Close Up Images #102530 07/08/10 05:28 PM
Angels Gate Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I think the Christmas piece this year is great! In fact, though I didn't expect to like them all, I do, and have let my dealer know I want ALL of them. That being said, I join the ranks with others who think that 14 Mile Point will be my clear favorite. Like docsweetie, 2009 is the only Christmas piece I do not have. What a heartbreaker!

Angels Gate
Re: HL726 Sturgeon Point MI Lighthouse Close Up Images #102531 07/08/10 11:20 PM
Kat Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Love this years Christmas piece, Santa in his sleigh is so .....(sorry everyone)....CUTE!

KAT {=*+*=}
Re: HL726 Sturgeon Point MI Lighthouse Close Up Images #102532 07/14/10 02:16 PM
5lights Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Beautiful detailed piece...Love It! It's now on my must have list!

Debbie
Re: HL726 Sturgeon Point MI Lighthouse Close Up Images #102533 11/23/10 08:10 PM
Cana Fan Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I just picked up Sturgeon Point this weekend. Very nice. Have been waiting for this one for a while. LArge size makes the price worth while. Well done!

Mike

Re: HL726 Sturgeon Point MI Lighthouse Close Up Images #102534 11/30/10 09:44 PM
L
lgthouselady Offline
Wacko
Wacko
L
Fortunately, after I moved to Arizona from Seattle I was able to search to find the lighthouses I wanted for my collection, as I only had at the most 24 when I arrived here. I decided I would get the Membership piece and the Society piece each year, and then I started searching for the First 17. As that journey began I also was able to acquire many more. One I know I am very fortunate to have is a Burrows Island, WA that says Burrows Island, OR, and it is in perfect condition. Also, apparently while no one else was looking, I was able to find a Yaquina Head, OR that is a California piece. I didn't know that until I started studying the Collectors' Guide after it came out, then I had a suspicion it was a CA piece. In 2008 I took it to CA with me to the In-Store Event with Bill Younger and as I had it in my hand walking towards him he apparently knew what I was going to say because he said, that's a CA piece, I know before I hold it. It was extremely difficult to obtain all of the Christmas pieces, but I now have them all and they are all on display all year. I am so happy that my Harbour Lights dealer lets me know way ahead of time what's coming out and he now always has a low number for me. Oh yes, and now I have over 170 Harbour Lights lighthouses.

Moderated by  MtnHkr 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,037 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users