Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Latest August Releases #102160 08/31/05 11:30 PM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I just received my Cape Arago and Cape Neddick late this afternoon. Cape Arago is a typical HL middle of the road production. It will fit in very nicely with the rest of my West Coast collection. Cape Neddick on the other hand is extremely interesting and an above average piece. When I first saw the picture of Cape Neddick I figured that I would pass on it because of the neon blue color of the water. To the contrary, the water is a nice shade of blue and the piece is highly detailed. I still wish they would have left the "wooden base" off of the piece but HL is always trying something new. I am extremely happy with it and would have been very disappointed if I had not bought it. I sure others will also feel this way once they see the piece in person.

Rich
Re: Latest August Releases #102161 09/01/05 07:31 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
I haven't received those two pieces yet. I will reserve my judgement until I can see them in person. The previous pictures of Cape Neddick didn't get me too excited about purchasing the piece. I get one of every LE so I end up purchasing the piece whether I like it or not. The question will be will I keep it or sell it.

Thanks for the report, Rich. I'll probably feel the same way and ask why they put the wood base on it.

smile Bob smile

Re: Latest August Releases #102162 09/01/05 10:49 AM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
Rich
That is great news that the Cape neddick is a nice detail piece. Do you think you could give it a wow? I like the new pictures that Paul took and I think I am going to put it on my list to buy.
The lighthouse itself looks Awesome. I just didn't care for the light up water.

DANIEL
Re: Latest August Releases #102163 09/01/05 11:15 AM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I wouldn't go as far as giving it a WOW and that is mainly because I don't care for the lighted pieces. The acrylic unlighted blue water is much more realistic then the normal painted water on regular HL pieces. The detail around the lighthouse itself is also much nicer then regular HL pieces. The water and lighthouse itself, when lit, takes away from the detail of the piece in my opinion. However, as a centerpiece or for Christmas use, the piece may be real impressive if you like the lighted GLOW idea. I would give this piece an 9 on the 1-10 scale. To me it would have rated a 10 without the wooden base.

Cape Arago on the other hand would probably rate a 4 on the same scale.

Rich
Re: Latest August Releases #102164 09/03/05 01:16 AM
GreenBadger Offline
I'm happy to hear that about Cape Neddick. I was concerned, but it is such a great lighthouse in person. I'm going to reserve my final judgement until I see one in person, but it sounds promising! Thanks for the input Rich

Jeff

Re: Latest August Releases #102165 09/03/05 09:27 AM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Put me in the thank you column Rich. I too want to see one up close and personal before deciding. I have the feeling that after reading your assessment, I will also have one. Thanks.

Bert smile

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: Latest August Releases #102166 09/03/05 10:24 AM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
Rich
I think when we first saw the Cape neddick we all were too hard on it. The real one is a beautiful lighthouse and a favorite of many. From the pictures I have seen lately of the new LE I think it would be a great lighthouse for someone that doesn't have one or even if you have one, It would look nice as a complement to your old one. Kind of like a, this is how Harbour Lights makes them now and over here is how HL use to make them.
Rich I am gad you didn’t quit collecting. I am very excited about this years lineup and I would like to start back my auto-shipment but don’t now where to put them.

DANIEL
Re: Latest August Releases #102167 09/03/05 08:47 PM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Daniel - I know how you feel. I though last year that I could give them up but I am hopelessly addicted. Oh, for your info, check out the store in the Avenues where Prestige used to be. They started with OEs and ABs. She has had quite a few collectors trying to convince her to carry LE instead. Stop in and talk to her if you get a chance.

Bert - Let me know your feeling when you see it.

Rich
Re: Latest August Releases #102168 09/08/05 06:25 PM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Am I the only one so far to have receievd their Cape Arago and Cape Neddick? I can't believe the mule train got all the way to Florida before anyplace else.

Rich
Re: Latest August Releases #102169 09/08/05 08:53 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
No, Rich. My dealer called a week or so ago to tell me the pieces were in. Picked up Cape Arago but passed on Neddick. I will say that unlit the Neddick piece does look a lot nicer than the initial pictures seemed to show. I just don't have the space or money to buy them all.

Re: Latest August Releases #102170 09/09/05 08:23 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I just received my Cape Neddick this afternoon. And in my opinion, it is absolutely beautiful. It is NOTHING like the original picture. Maybe they decided to change the mold.

Using Rich's 1 to 10 scale, I would give it a 9.9 -- only because nothing is absolutely perfect.

DANIEL is right. We were too critical when it was first announced. Either it was a horribly bad picture or they changed the mold. I believe that they changed the mold -- especially the water.

IT'S FANTASTIC. I don't even object to the wood base.

bobo

Re: Latest August Releases #102171 09/09/05 08:34 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Bob, I guess you missed my post after talking to Bill at his Michigan Events... I had the Artist Proof with me and we plugged it in for the collectors to see... I commented to Bill that the water looked totally different when I shot this one than the original pic shot in California...

He said that they changed the water a whole lot from the first version.. It is toned down and where it is deep water off the point of the lighthouse the water is darker.. where it is shallow it is lighter..

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Latest August Releases #102172 09/09/05 10:22 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Sorry Paul,

I didn't see the demonstration with Bill in Michigan. I certainly didn't mean to insult or degrade you in any way.

But I was correct in the fact that they did change the mold. As usual, you did a great job.

bobo

Re: Latest August Releases #102173 09/11/05 10:59 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
Cape Arago is a typical HL middle of the road production.
Well I finally received my Cape Arago. I really like it. I feel it's a fair and accurate representation of the real light. It's a heavy piece like some past HL's. On a scale of 10, I would give it an 8.0.

Quote:
Cape Neddick on the other hand is extremely interesting and an above average piece.
I also received the Cape Neddick. I have mixed feelings about the piece. From the minute I opened the box I started singing, "GLOW little GLOWorm, glitter, glitter..." The first thing I wish they didn't put on it was the flag pole. Unfortunately, I'm not a fan of those small cheap-looking plastic flags. I also worry exactly how fragile those flag poles are and what the piece would be worth if something happend to the pole. I also thinking the Christmas lights adversely effect the overall appearence of the piece. Believe it or not, I have it currently on display with my Anchor Bay pieces which have a similar wooden base.

I have two different scores for this piece based on a scale of 10:

1. As a limited edition I give it a 6.

2. As a new concept piece from HL, I give it a 7.5.

Rich, I used quotes from your post because you started this thread and I do respect your opinions regarding Harbour Lights.

smile Bob smile

Re: Latest August Releases #102174 09/12/05 09:52 AM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Bob - Perfectly ok. Different opinions make HLs as successful as they are.

Rich
Re: Latest August Releases #102175 09/13/05 11:03 AM
Cana Fan Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Has anybody gotten any information about when Marquette is going to ship?

Re: Latest August Releases #102176 09/13/05 01:42 PM
MelJB Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I had a call from my dealer this weekend and she had received the Marquette I ordered.

Melody
Re: Latest August Releases #102177 09/13/05 09:11 PM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Mine should arrive Thursday from my dealer. I think they were shipped last Tuesday.

Rich
Re: Latest August Releases #102178 09/13/05 10:49 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Gee BobM,

Read your post about the Cape Neddick. Besides being a wonderful person you are a darn good singer. laugh I appreciate all that's been said about the Cape Neddick and want to see for myself before I decide.

Bert smile

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: Latest August Releases #102179 09/14/05 10:49 AM
Cana Fan Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Thanks Melody, I'm looking forward to this one.
All those pre-reunion tours and trips may help spark a little interest in Marquette, with all those people that saw it.

Mike

Re: Latest August Releases #102180 09/14/05 03:37 PM
Bigbird Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Okay, I have now been to the mountain top and I have seeeeeen Nubble!! wink

My opinion, as if it matters, is that as for the lighthouse itself, I like the detail better than either of the previous pieces. The water...as Rich said, it's more like the real thing than the typical HL's pieces and does fluctuate from bright to darker to not lit at all. As for the base, it seems that it was more of a necessity of the lights, wires, battery compartment, etc. than an addition "direction" by HL. Do I like it? More so if it was somebody other than HL's piece, but not bad. Though a little cheeesy for Harbour Lights, it almost makes it more elegant instead of the rugged "manly-type" of LE from days of yore!! :p

My rating...oh, by the way, I didn't see it lit in a dark room/area so don't know about detail but some of the decorative trim wasn't as pronounced on the piece as it was on other parts; maybe it needed to be darker in the room...maybe it's the lit building, tower and water that overwhelmed the smaller lighting?!? confused Anyhow, I'd give it a ...uhhhhhhhhh...mmmmmmmmmmmm...a weak (though not TOO weak) 8; overall, not broken down into catagories like Bob M. laugh

Steve

Health through education, for a much misguided nation!!

Moderated by  MtnHkr 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,055 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users