Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
North Carolina Open Editions #101884 06/10/02 11:30 PM
CAVR Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
OK, so what's the deal with the North Carolina?

First we have Currituck GLOW released in the Fall of 2001, then the Cape Hatteras revised GLOW in Spring of 2002. Now we have the Cape Lookout GLOW and the Bald Head GLOW.

Anybody else see a trend here with many of the older North Carolina pieces?

Oak Island was just released as a LE in 2000 so I don't expect to see this one released as a GLOW very soon, however 2 NC lights have not appeared in the GLOW form as of yet.

Bodie Island LE is several years old, so I project this is another light on its way in GLOW form and probably being sculpted right now, but than I don't have peeping eyes into the HL "working" gallery. But a good hunch.

Thus leaving us with the very desirable, "Ocracoke"! Anybody want to take bids as to whether or not HL does a GLOW on this fine popular piece?

I realize North Carolina is a very very popular tourstist attraction and that the lighthouses there is a very desirable collector, however I wonder if Ocracoke will ever show its face as a GLOW.

What about doing a replica of Price Creek or Diamond Shoals Tower?

Personally, beside the great job on the Cape Hatteras revised piece, I still prefer the old Limited edition pieces better.

I believe HL is marketing these new North Carolina GLOWS towards the tourist industry instead of to collectors.

Do you wish to share your thoughts on this issue?

Christopher

-Christopher
"CAVR"
Re: North Carolina Open Editions #101885 06/11/02 08:12 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
There is a distinct possibilty that Ocracoke with be issued as a GLOW someday. HL needs to cater to the tourists and those collectors who can't justify spending the money for the LE Ocracoke, if they can find one for sale.

I own all the LE's except for Coquille. Although I have almost all the GLOW's from previous years, I've stopped buying them the last two years. Display space and storage space is running short. I'd rather just stick to collecting LE's and AB's. I did order the new "Old Minots Ledge". It looks like a real keeper.

Bob

Re: North Carolina Open Editions #101886 06/11/02 09:19 AM
Stainz Offline
I first ran into Harbour Lights lighthouses in the tourist-trap gift stores in Gatlinburg years ago, the Smokie Mountains being such an ideal site for lighthouses. Since the sale of local artisans' work there has all but become extinct due to the glut of inexpensive 'Made in China' souvenir goodies - and the extremely high local real estate, the marketplace had to change (Try to find local artisan's work!). This is true along our 'Redneck Riviera', Alabama's Gulf Shores, as well. In fact, if it had not been for that affordable and available W. Quoddy GLOW staring at me there in that card shop - and it's subsequent purchase - I wouldn't have gone nuts over the last two months buying all of these lighthouses! Hooray for GLOW's! Of course, my search for older LE's goes on as well...

I'll eagerly inspect - and likely purchase - those new GLOW's... especially the NC ones.

John

PS About tourist souvenir's in the Smokies.... I made thousands of pens (ballpoint, roller, fountain, etc) and sold them at art and arts & crafts shows all over the SE USA from 95-01, doing 25+ shows/year while meeting several Gatlinburg area craftsmen repeatedly at those shows as well. In fact, several shops there distributed/sold my pens!

Moderated by  MtnHkr 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,132 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users