cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
PBS 'Legendary Lighthouse' program DVD sets #10176 06/11/02 09:45 AM
Stainz Offline OP
OP Offline
I caught the CA 'Legendary Lighthouse' episode on A&E a few weeks back - wow! I searched the PBS.org site to find the available videos and - there they were - Vol I and II. They are available in both DVD and VHS tape. I ordered both sets... it was only plastic - and via an 800#. That was Tuesday - they arrived in the mail around noon yesterday! I sat down and watched the first set's three DVD's. The lawn never got mowed... the shop is a mess... the den is still a mess... my wife came in from jury duty and had to go back out to get some fast food, as I never fixed dinner either. All of those houses I have - or want - and there they were - great series. Even a visit with Mr. Younger.

I know you guys have talked about them before, but for a 'newbie', like myself, the 'Legendary Lighthouse' sets are a 'must have'. If you don't have a DVD player, get one! Wally World has them for $68.88! DVD's are smaller, more durable, offer higher quality, and generally permit more features than VHS tape. You can pause on a single DVD image indefinitely without damage, unlike the tape. They also have a Vol I and a Vol II book as well.

I also bought the half-priced three tape set (no DVD's) on the 'Scenic Railways' as it was on the Alaskan rail line I model in G scale, the 'White Pass and Yukon', but it won't get it's poly packaging broken until I have seen the enire LL sets...

There went my Fresnel lens money...

John

PS I did make note from my viewing those DVDs of the fact that a Disney engineer makes replacement Fresnel lens parts from cast acylic, assumedly like those new Fresnels H-L makes.

Re: PBS 'Legendary Lighthouse' program DVD sets #10177 06/11/02 09:58 AM
Randy Kremer Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Thanks for the info John! I already have the tapes, but like you said, the DVD's will last longer and have a better quality picture!

Re: PBS 'Legendary Lighthouse' program DVD sets #10178 06/11/02 09:25 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have to second the "wow" on the quality of the Legendary Lighthouse DVD's! They're absolutely worth the price. They're also available from LH Depot Catalog as well.

Gary

Re: PBS 'Legendary Lighthouse' program DVD sets #10179 06/11/02 11:02 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Please let us know how to order.

thanks

Harry

Re: PBS 'Legendary Lighthouse' program DVD sets #10180 06/12/02 01:12 AM
Dave H Online
Saint
Saint
Harry,

You can order from their website at PBS.org.

Follow the links to the merchandise section, and then you can search for "Legenday Lighthouses". They have DVDs, videos, books and assorted combinations. I would post a direct link, but it is too long to work!

Dave

Re: PBS 'Legendary Lighthouse' program DVD sets #10181 06/12/02 01:22 AM
W
WisKeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
W
I noticed these at Lighthouse Depot also. There is a Maine from the Sky on DVD too. I am glad to see that they are starting to sell lighthouse movies on DVD. I really do not want to buy video tapes anymore, DVD is so much better.

Suzanne

Suzanne Murphy
President, Wisconsin Lighthouse District (WILD)
Re: PBS 'Legendary Lighthouse' program DVD sets #10182 06/12/02 10:39 AM
Stainz Offline OP
OP Offline
I did also find a 3 tape set on one of my modelled railroads, the White Pass & Yukon running from Skagway on the coast up into the Yukon, once the 'gold' train line...

Sadly, I haven't even broken the seal on the set...and it was 1/2 price! My interest in trains still exists (It better... I have a fortune in these monsters!), I just 'enjoy' the DVD's better! I also read that LL Vol II book, great info. I ordered mine via the 1-800 number, my paranoia concerning the internet and my cc info still exists.

Great set - great 'bargain'.

John

Re: PBS 'Legendary Lighthouse' program DVD sets #10183 06/12/02 05:52 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
John,

Just to be a pain and really stir your paranoia-

Did you ever wonder what takes so long to put a charge on your card at the gas station or restaurant?

You ever wonder what they are doing with your card while it's out of your sight?

Did you know that many phone order lines are manned (or womanned) by minimum security inmates- some with very good memories.

Just a couple of thoughts to think about.

Dennis

Re: PBS 'Legendary Lighthouse' program DVD sets #10184 06/13/02 12:15 AM
Stainz Offline OP
OP Offline
Dennis,

I am not paranoid. I don't care what those voices say about us..., er, me. Even those soft voices from within those assistant lightkeeper's houses no longer bother me...

I am really afraid that the wrong person will get hold of my cc info - and see how much I have spent on these little houses... with little voices....

John

Re: PBS 'Legendary Lighthouse' program DVD sets #10185 06/13/02 01:40 AM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Just rattling a chain to see if anybody's listening.

My wife says I'm a troublemaker. I say I'm just contrary.

Modern life can make you so paranoid sometimes all you want to do is sit in a corner.

Dennis

Re: PBS 'Legendary Lighthouse' program DVD sets #10186 06/13/02 03:18 AM
Shortcake Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Well I've been paranoid about giving my CC information out on the internet. I have refused to buy anything online. That is untill today! When I did order both these sets of DVD's online via PBS.org

Stephanie

Stephanie

God may have created man before woman,
but there is always a rough draft before the masterpiece.
Re: PBS 'Legendary Lighthouse' program DVD sets #10187 06/13/02 03:19 AM
MelJB Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
John,

I think the appropriate reply here might be
"You're just jealous because the little voices talk to me!"lol

Its a great pair up with a t-shirt I have that says "I did not escape, they gave me a day pass!"

MelJB

Melody
Re: PBS 'Legendary Lighthouse' program DVD sets #10188 06/13/02 11:53 AM
Stainz Offline OP
OP Offline
I like that T-shirt! I did create a stir at a family reunion years ago when I asked why a relative was absent: "Couldn't he get work-release for this?". Yep, his red-faced mother admitted - he really was in jail - for bad checks! I haven't been invited back...

It was funny, though...

Stephanie,

PBS has an 800# you can call for orders, too. No representation as to the viewer's loss of ambition regarding household chores and/or work in general is implied upon receipt of these DVD's. Guarunteed 'couch potatoe' fodder. 'Enjoy'!!

John

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Rock, Dave H), 1,415 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users