It's weird waht the government gets excited about these days. As leadbased paint ages it can flack off (never happens to HLs?) and become airborne dust that we inhale. Same problem from the old leaded gasoline.
Those curly flourescent bulbs now all the rage have their transformers built into the base of the bulb unlike the tubes that are used in fixtures with transformers built in them. The bulb transformers contain mercury and thus cannot simply be thrown away but must be disposed of as toxic waste. NEVER break one in your house because it legally becomes a toxic waste site with an expensive clean up required.
The latest research links fire retardents required in carpet to hyperthyroidism in house cats. The chemical memics thyroid produce hormones. No link yet to human problems but some wonder if cats are the "canary in the cage."
Have a nice day.