Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
2005 Christmas Ornaments? #100490 06/16/05 03:35 PM
C
ctlights Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Any word on whether there will be (4) new Christmas Ornaments released this year?

I know they no longer release a Society exclusive ornament but I don't remember anyone mentioning an end to the annual (4) release a year items. We had lens ornaments the past two years.

Re: 2005 Christmas Ornaments? #100491 06/16/05 04:16 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
I talked to Harbour Lights representative last week on the phone who confirmed all the recent new releases, and said when specifically asked about the 2005 Christmas ornaments that they were not part of this release. When I pressed further, I got the same line. I talked to Bill about them in May, and he claimed not to know. Bottom line is they've always been announced them at the same time as the Christmas LE. So no 2005 Christmas ornaments. I'm not happy! Please use this Forum to express your displeasure with this decision.
Bob mad

ps I've never used that icon before.

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: 2005 Christmas Ornaments? #100492 06/16/05 04:24 PM
C
ctlights Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I think if they were totally discontinued, they would have stated this, so maybe they are not gone forever. I often wonder why they discontinued releasing lighthouse ornaments and started the lens series for two years.

I can't see this company in business in three years. The products are not selling, dealers are dropping and the product line is shrinking - no ornaments, no Anchor Bay, no LLOM's announced, very low production numbers on the LE's.

I'm just hanging in there hoping for Point Vicente, Bonita and Point Sur releases and then my collection will be done. Somehow I think none of those three will ever make it.

Re: 2005 Christmas Ornaments? #100493 06/16/05 06:58 PM
fra02441 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I would be very disapointed if there was no ornaments this year. And please no more Lens we want lighthouses. I agree never used this but feel I must mad

Re: 2005 Christmas Ornaments? #100494 06/16/05 08:03 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
No ornaments? What is happening to the great traditions of Harbour Lights?

I've used mad before, but right now I want to use mad mad mad . And if everyone's using smileys they've never used, then here's a :p .

Re: 2005 Christmas Ornaments? #100495 06/16/05 11:43 PM
CAVR Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I sure hope that the christmans ornaments are released this year or I am going to start wondering who in the heck is making these god awful executive descisions at HLs. Does Bill still have any say so?

I mean c'mon look at the new Nubble light for instance.... either some one is blind or they're fooling themselves that this is going to sell. The light inself is a great re-scupture. The water and the base needs to be totally SCRAPED!

Now, I'm getting upset. Heck, if HLs is reading this, please please look at the mistakes that are happening..... confused confused

-Christopher
"CAVR"
Re: 2005 Christmas Ornaments? #100496 06/17/05 01:15 AM
Rock Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I, for one, applaud the decision to dump the ornaments (if that is the case)...I only wish they'd continue this kinda trend and dump the GLOWs, LLOMs, Anchor Bays, balloons, and ornament hooks, and concentrate on the original line: simple little easy-to-display limited edition LIGHTHOUSES...(but I do miss the Spyglass series)...

Re: 2005 Christmas Ornaments? #100497 06/17/05 07:49 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
I can't see this company in business in three years. The products are not selling, dealers are dropping and the product line is shrinking - no ornaments, no Anchor Bay, no LLOM's announced, very low production numbers on the LE's.
I think Harbour Lights is going to be around for a lot longer than three more years. Their reduction of production numbers on LE's is to satisfy the request of collectors who asked them to quit making so many of one light. The lower the edition size of a particular light should make it more desireable because it makes it more collectible.

I don't think I've ever heard of a dealer that sold only HL's and nothing else. If HL's are not selling in a certain area it is not Harbour Lights fault. They produce a wonderful product and try to cater to the needs of collectors. The detail and quality of the latest releases are much better than pieces from the old days.

People seem to be shying away from collectibles in the last few years. Even though the price of everything we use in a day-to-day basis keeps going up HL prices remain very stable and in some cases have gone down. Take a look at the history of HL pricing to see what I mean.

I find the problem with HL sales lies with the collectors. Our more senior collectors, who have or had complete collections, are finding themselves running out of room to display or store HL's. Instead of waiting for the next release with great anticipation, they say to themselves, "Where the heck am I going to put it this time?" It's not the money to them but the lack of space to display or store HL's.

Harbour Lights will continue to make pieces that sell. They will discontinue pieces that don't sell. No business wants to lose money and offering things that are not profitable will kill a business in the long run.

cool Bob cool

Re: 2005 Christmas Ornaments? #100498 06/17/05 12:57 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Ornaments are selling well on ebay! Most above or at retail.
web page

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: 2005 Christmas Ornaments? #100499 06/17/05 02:48 PM
C
ctlights Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Lower edition sizes, if requested by collectors, has not resulted in the sculptures holding their value. Most collectors who sell cannot even get back their original investment. Further, once HL violated their intended policy of not re-releasing a LE lighthouse previously issued, I think the whole line devalued. Now if they re-issued lights in the style of the recently released Cape Neddick, it would be another story.

I still think the company is in trouble so maybe let's start a list of the last 10 LE's that should be released:

1) Owls Head; 2) Point Bonita; 3) Point Vicente;
4) New London Light... that's a good start.

Re: 2005 Christmas Ornaments? #100500 06/17/05 04:48 PM
sandy Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:
Now if they re-issued lights in the style of the recently released Cape Neddick, it would be another story.
Meaning they'd cease to exist due to lack of sales? That piece has got to be the tackiest I've ever seen from any manufacturer.

Re: 2005 Christmas Ornaments? #100501 06/17/05 07:47 PM
Rock Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
5. Mile Rocks, CA (Gone But Not Forgotten)
6. Cape Mendocino, CA (Gone But Not Forgotten)
7. Destruction Island, WA

Re: 2005 Christmas Ornaments? #100502 06/17/05 08:18 PM
Weasel58 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
8. Pt. Sur, CA Gotta do it!
9. Piedras Blancas, CA

I'll leave the last one for someone else

Eric
Re: 2005 Christmas Ornaments? #100503 06/17/05 09:27 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
I also think that Harbour Lights is in trouble and is trying to work themselves out of the situation. Whether they will be around in 3 years is anybody's guess. I do know if they continue to issue repeats of previously introduced limited editions I will be cutting back quite a bit if not completely. Bill has gone on record many times as saying they WOULD NEVER reintroduce a LE that had already been produced. Just because you package something in green paper that was already packaged in red paper doesn't mean it is different. Harbour Lights has been doing this and seemingly feels this is okey and that they can get away with it. It's still a reintroduction any way that you slice it and because they are doing it does not release Bill from his promise to not reintroduce. Oh well, I guess MONEY OVERIDES ETHICS in the end.

Rich
Re: 2005 Christmas Ornaments? #100504 06/18/05 01:06 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
I had a chance to talk with Harry Hine at length yesterday about the Cape Neddick piece. He is very disappointed with the photo, but the day after the photo was shot, he was off to China and didn't see it until he got back.

He is very enthusiastic about the piece.

They've rephotographed it and he promises to send me the new photo. He said it is definitely one of those pieces that you're going to have to see in person and examine in detail to appreciate it.

Since it's not scheduled to ship until September, you're going to have to wait a bit. But by October, you'll be thiking 'Christmas' -- and the appearance of Cape Neddick all decked out for Christmas, just might appeal to more people -- including many locals -- more than it would in the middle of summer.

The 'blue water' isn't nearly as 'electric blue' as it appears in the photo, Harry says.

Re: 2005 Christmas Ornaments? #100505 06/18/05 02:25 AM
Rock Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Enlarging the pic on Lighthouse Depot's website clarifies a lot of nice detail, especially the snow and Xmas lights trimming the house and tower, but it's still not a "keeper" for me...

Re: 2005 Christmas Ornaments? #100506 06/18/05 08:18 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Alot of complaining going on here. Everyone has the right to say what's on their mind, including yours truly.

If the auto industry never changed the looks of their yearly releases, would they sell any cars? If clothing manufacturers never change their styles, would they sell as many clothes? If the movie industry didn't come up with new and exciting things in their productions, would people still go to the movies or buy the DVD's? If Harbour Lights didn't change their sculptures or lights depicted, would we have anything to talk about?

Buy what you like, and like what you buy...

confused Bob confused

Re: 2005 Christmas Ornaments? #100507 06/18/05 12:02 PM
bonnebert Offline
I'm with Bob, buy what you like, like what you buy; which is what I do.

However, I am disappointed with not Christmas Ornaments. I have tree devoted to HL ornaments, I it needs more. And, I would like to see lighthouses instead of fresnel lens.

Joyce

Re: 2005 Christmas Ornaments? #100508 06/18/05 04:14 PM
GreenBadger Offline
Well, I thought I'd chime in as a sorta new collector of HL. I agree buy what you like....there are so many lights that are out, that really focusing on the ones that you really would be my recommendation. Since I haven't been a collector for years and don't have many of the older ones, I'm just pickin' and choosin' the ones that I do seek out. With that, it gives me a bit extra moola to buy a good product!

This so far has been the best for me. Just dropping my two cents!

Also, I hope they do not go out business or are not around. Their representations are excellent and they fill a great gap in the market. I guess we all can't be happy though when they release their new ones, because our backgrounds/locations are so varied. So I think they are doing the best they can with where they are at in the market.

Well enough ranting, I hope they are around a long long long time!

Take care wink

Moderated by  MtnHkr 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 809 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users