cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
NELL Spring Meeting- And Beyond Pt 7 Almost to Cape Breton #70996 06/26/07 01:40 PM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
We got up Thursday and decided to do a bit more exploring in Nova Scotia. We originally had intended to drive up to Sydney along the coast and get to two lighthouses in the Bickerton West area and enter the sydney area through Louisborg for the lighthouse and fort there.

We changed those plans and decided to spend 3 days in the Halifax area instead of just driving from point A to point B every day. We basically ended up doing that anyway- except we went back to Halifax at the end of the day.

I had left my notes and book with directions home so I tried to get the gps to take us to the bickerton West area. It unfortunately took us too far north before we realized it and we scrapped the idea of those two lighthouses.

We actually got of the main highway in Stellerton and were sitting by the side of the road deciding what to do- go to Cape Breton, PEI or Cape George LH and Antigonish, NS.

While sitting there a very helpful local nova Scotian saw this car with Maine plates and figured we needed assistance. she walked up to Esther's window and startled her so much I thought Esther was going to actually hit the ceiling. The helpful local gave us enough info to decide that the Bickerton West lights were not a good idea and PEI probably wasn't either. Cape Breton wasn't too far but we wouldn't be able to get too far there either. We decided on Cape George Lighthouse and Antigonish, NS.

We drove through areas where we literally saw nobody else for 20 minutes and little signs of habitation other than the power lines along the road.

We got to Cape George and we were driving down the dirt road to the light- which is in a park- and all of a sudden somebody was right behind me.

We talked at the lighthouse. thye were from the Vancouver area and had just been in Halifax and were on their way to Cape Breton and then back to Vancouver.

Here are some photos of Cape George lighthouse-

This one is of a bellbuoy right below the lighthouse. It took the four of us a few minutes to find it- we could hear it ringing but the view of it was blocked by the trees.

We stopped in antiginish for lunch at a local scottish pub- nice food, good service and a gigantic dance floor behind the main bar.

We drove on back to Halifax and went back down to the waterfront area to get some views of the lighthouses there.

You have to drive down to the working end os the harbour to get a good view of Maugher Island Lighthouse on McNabb Island.

Here are some views of it-

The first one shows all the related structures we could see.

This is a closeup of the lighthouse by itself.

We left Halifax and crossed over the river to Dartmouth and went searching for the coast guard base where there is a light on display. We finally found it by driving through an apartment complex and driving into the parking lot behind the buildings.

Here's a closeup of the lighthouse.

This finished up our travels for the day. We went back to the Halifax waterfront and walked around a bit and had dinner at Murphy's On the Water. good service, ok food but very nice harbor view. they also run most of the water tours of the area as well.

Dennis

Continued in Pt 8

http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/cgi-bin/forumscgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=15&t=001194#000002

Re: NELL Spring Meeting- And Beyond Pt 7 Almost to Cape Breton #70997 06/27/07 09:42 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Hopefully, we will be able to visit that area some day. The "Canucks" know what colors to paint their lights. The red and white combo is my favorite coloring on these treasures from the past.

smile Bob smile

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,178 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users