Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sullivan's Island Lighthouse 5-28-2004 #70629 02/03/08 04:34 PM
ericlighthouse Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
A group of us from Florida and Georgia were getting together to see Cape Romain and Georgetown Lighthouses. Since we all were driving and all had to go through Charlestown, S.C. I thought won't it be neat to see if we could go inside Sullivan's Island Lighthouse. I had remembered something about the Coast Guard Aux. giving tours. Well it took a little time to find the reference, but I did. A few emails and a day or so I had an OK. After checking with the group it seemed by late afternoon we would all be there. So I checked the sunset time and ask for a tour about one hour before. Anyway here are the pictures:

The only US lighthouse with a people elevator and the only one to have 3 sides.

The backside faces the airport. Also notice the balcony is only on 2 of the 3 sides.

Notice near the bottom left, air condition units.

Lighthouse hunters above!

The original color where the black is now was this red color (The locals did not like it). The Coast Guard turned the panels around and painted the outside black.

We climbed stairs till till we got to the floor the elevator stops (by the way the elevator did not work at this time, it only holds about 3 people). At this point you climb this ladder which is about 8 feet, the next and last one is about double that.

From left to right, Dan our volunteer tour guide (who did an excellent job), Susan and Geneva. Somewhere nearby is the other WACKO Eric.

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: Sullivan's Island Lighthouse 5-28-2004 #70630 02/03/08 04:50 PM
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko

Two lens that are so bright that Dan did not turn them on till we started down the stairs.

Outside, the backup light.

The sun starts to set on Charleston Harbor.

Another shot of the sunset (what a great way to end a visit to a lighthouse).

It was a bit dark going down the stairs and when we got out the moon was overhead.

The bottom of the lighthouse, again notice to the left on the second floor A/C units.

Also note the tower is made of steel and aluminum and was made to sway in a Hurricane it was also built to last 50 years. So it should be good until 2012. Oh my gosh, only 4 years from now. The National Parks talked about taking it over but have not heard anything more.

Almost forgot, a camera was put on the balcony and aimed at the place in the water that they found the Hunley until it could be raised. To make sure the site was not violated. The Hunley is now a short drive down the interstate.

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: Sullivan's Island Lighthouse 5-28-2004 #70631 02/03/08 09:13 PM
sandy Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Eric,

Have I lost it completely, or did you add to your May 28, 2004 thread today, but gave no indication that you'd been to Sullivan's Island Lighthouse recently? They're great pictures, but I can't connect the dots.

Sandy

Re: Sullivan's Island Lighthouse 5-28-2004 #70632 02/04/08 02:08 AM
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Sandy I posted all the pictures today. The trip was in 2004. I meant to post them closer to the time I took the trip, but got busy and then forgot until I was talking to a girl making my reservations for a hotel that happen to mention that the call center was in Charleston. We talk a few minutes waiting for the computer and I told her I would sent her copies, but it might take a while (I think it was a month ago). So you are not crazy.

Re: Sullivan's Island Lighthouse 5-28-2004 #70633 02/04/08 03:00 AM
sandy Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Thank you for enlightening me--looooong time between 2004 and 2008. . . .

Sandy eek :rolleyes:

P.S. There are others who might disagree with your last statement.

Re: Sullivan's Island Lighthouse 5-28-2004 #70634 02/04/08 10:18 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Great report and photos of this unique lighthouse, Eric!
thanks,
Bob

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Sullivan's Island Lighthouse 5-28-2004 #70635 02/04/08 09:09 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Great pics, Eric !!!

Didn't know Sullivan's Island Lighthouse was three sided. cool

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Dave H), 1,164 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users