Next Thread
Print Thread
Georgia On My Mind #70552 06/07/01 01:07 AM
P
Pam Baggett Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Georgia on My Mind
More specifically Tybee Island, Cockspur, St. Simons and Sapalo Island Lighthouses.

As with every trip I take, it has a story. Not unlike any of the rest, this story begins with a long weekend, but this trip took a lot of planning and plenty of problem-solving, as I will explain……….
Knowing that Georgia has 4 beautiful lights that I wanted to see, I researched where they are located, the times open and what I had to do to see them. I needed to see all the lights in one day. All of this could be accomplished but only with perfect timing.
I could reach all of these lights in a day, climb the ones open, get plenty of pictures and still have time. Tybee, St. Simons and Cockspur presented no problem. But Sapalo proved to be the most difficult to include in the plan. Sapalo, the one noted as a "Must See", was one that I didn't want to leave out so I would have to overcome some obstacles to see this one.
The problem solving begins…………….

Problem: Planning the exact timing for viewing all the lights in one day.
Solution: Cockspur is not open to the public so I was able to go to it first early in the morning get pictures and travel 30 minutes to Tybee which opened at 9am. I could get there just before opening and get a few pictures with no one at the top (I don't like people in my pictures if I can keep from it). Climb it and then drive 2 hours to St. Simons. On that Sunday St. Simons didn't open until 1:30pm. Again this was great timing. I could get there before anyone could climb it. I would have plenty of time to admire St. Simons and meet the 4:30 ferry that would take me to Sapalo.
Given the times of operation and drive times it seamed that this was a perfect plan until it came to Sapalo itself.

Problem: Sapalo is a private island and you must be invited to the island by one of the residents.
Solution: some of the residents rent out small rooms and cabins for just such purpose. After talking to the Sapalo Island Visitor's Center attendant he told me to contact The Banks family. I did that.
I am making progress and at the same time running into more obstacles.

Problem: they were not going to accept any guests that weekend because they were going to be gone all day Sunday. They would not be home to prepare or cook for guest.
Solution: I explained what I was trying to do and that I desperately needed a to see this lighthouse and have a place to sleep for the night. They agreed to have me late that afternoon to spend the night if all I would require was to see the lighthouse and would bring my own food
This problem solved through persistence and compromise.

Problem: The ferry that takes you to the island would run on Sunday and get me there but would not be making a return trip until Tuesday. This left me with no way back to the mainland Monday.
Solution: Mr. Banks said he could locate a boat to take me back.
That seamed easy enough but wait.

Problem: the price of the boat trip back to the mainland would cost $75! (which was just too high).
Solution: In hopes that the ferry information was wrong I called the Sapalo Island Visitors Center once again to verify the ferry schedule. Pat Carson answered the phone. I told her of my situation and in jest asked her if she wouldn't want to come and get me. To my complete surprise and disbelief she said she would love to!!!!! She and her husband would be boating about that Memorial Day and would enjoy meeting me and helping me to make my trip a success.
Just by asking I was able to get a ride back on Monday morning!!!!

Due to planning, persistence, begging and some wonderful people ALL PROBLEMS SOLVED.

Well almost…. I now have the problem of deciding on the next place to go and which lights to see.

Pam B.
Re: Georgia On My Mind #70553 06/07/01 02:06 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Great job of planning and problem solving, Pam. You have proved that persistence pays off! You certainly did get a lot accomplished on that holiday weekend. I hope you got some pictures that you will be able to share with us.

Dave

Re: Georgia On My Mind #70554 06/07/01 02:35 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Wow Pam, that is one great story! And it goes to prove how great some people can be who don't even know you! Glad you accomplished your mission!

Re: Georgia On My Mind #70555 06/07/01 09:56 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Pam Baggett...Pam from Clarksville? Welcome back! Great Story! I'll have to save it to use when I'm down there. Only 10 more to WACKOdom. lol
Bob

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Georgia On My Mind #70556 06/07/01 12:29 PM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
Information for Sapelo Island Lighthouse scheduled Tour times:

For Tours;
Call 912-437-3224
Wednesdays: Ferry departs 8:30 a.m., returns 12 noon.
Fridays:8:30-12:30 (June 1-Sept. 1 only)
Saturdays: 9:00 a.m.-1 p.m.
Extended Tour: Last Tuesday of each month, March through October, 8:30-2:30.
For Group Tours
Special group tours are available for organizations, school field trips, elder hostels, etc. are offered on a reserved basis the year around. Arrangements should be made by calling 912-485-2251. Reserve well in advance. Tours are subject to availability.

Around Memorial Day weekend the island was closed because they have had no rain. This makes the roads sandy and unpassable. Soon as they get some rain the tours will open again. I highly, highly, recommend calling them and checking with them before driving to the visitors center. If you get there and can't go take a cheap telescope or some expensive binoculars and you can see the lighthouse from the visitors center at least. Hope this helps future visitors!

Sean

[This message has been edited by SThompson (edited 06-07-2001).]

Re: Georgia On My Mind #70557 06/07/01 01:03 PM
JohnL Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I made this trip last year. Left Tampa early one morning and visited Hunting Island, Hilton Head, Tybee, Cockspur in the first day. Took the tour of Sapelo the next day and then drove down to St. Simons and Amelia Island. It was a very nice trip. I had wanted to find the lighthouse on Little Cumberland Island, but the map I had didn't really show it's location too well and I think the Island is private.

John

------------------
Wave after wave will flow in the tide and bury the world as it does.

Wave after wave will flow in the tide and bury the world as it does.
Re: Georgia On My Mind #70558 06/07/01 01:48 PM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
Unfortunately you are correct John. Little Cumberland is all private. It would be nice if they would allow visitation at least a couple times a year. I hope they are not receiving public funding and then keeping us out!

imho

Re: Georgia On My Mind #70559 06/07/01 06:47 PM
N
Nana Offline
N
Pam,
It's good to see you posting again. You are the "Queen Bee" with your buzzing lighthouse trips. So glad everything worked out for you to see all that you had planned to see. It's amazing what folks will say when you ask. That's how we got to Cedar Key a couple of week-ends ago.

Heard thru the grapevine that I can find you at CameraWorld....will be coming in while I am in Clarksville in July....see you then! Are you by any chance going to Chicago next week-end?

Sean mentioned Little Cumberland. I always get my dander up when that light is mentioned. The spokesman for the security on the lighthouse end of the island is rather rude. Perhaps my opinion was formed because he told me "no" using his certain terms. Quite tersely he told me I would never be able to get near the lighthouse and if I crossed over the high water mark I would be arrested. I don't trespass and I'm not in to getting arrested. But, my campaign is on to find a way to get up close. Anyone can take a flight from St. Mary's, Florida and see it from the air. I'm agreeing with you Sean--maybe they could do like Cape Romain(SP)and do a tour once a year.

Derith

Re: Georgia On My Mind #70560 06/07/01 11:19 PM
K
keeperpam2 Offline
Wacko
Wacko
K
Hi Pam,
Glad you could make the tour of those lights. We did last May, and without a lot of planning like you did. (Arrived a day when Tybee was closed, but went back)
We did manage a great tour of Sapalo, however. We did that tour on a Saturday.
Our lesson is not to always be spontaneous when visiting lighthouses. I missed out on Pt.Arena because we did not plan ahead. Sure, I could see it a few hundred feet from the fence, but I don't know when I want to make that dizzin' trip back up there. (I don't care much for hairpin turns.)
Another Pam

Re: Georgia On My Mind #70561 04/26/10 01:49 AM
wvlights0 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Sitting in a motel in Darien Georgia, and found this topic. Yes! I will be able to see Sapelo from the ferry dock. (ferry doesn't run on Mondays and I have to be at work Tuesday am) There is sooo much information here.

Laura
Re: Georgia On My Mind #70562 04/29/10 01:58 AM
Tybee_Sullivan Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I really wish you didn't have to take a 4 hour tour at Sapelo.

This space for rent. Inquire within.
Re: Georgia On My Mind #70563 04/29/10 09:15 AM
wvlights0 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
And you need reservations for the tour. From the ferry dock you can barely see it with a good zoom. At night the light from the tower is straight ahead. The tour sounds interesting...
You ought to be able to find a local fisherman who could take you close to the island.

Laura

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,186 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users