Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
CT-GA-FL-VA-MD-NJ-CT - February, 2007 #70094 02/26/07 10:58 PM
sandy Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Stan and I traveled to Georgia, Florida, Virginia, DC, and Maryland, leaving on 2/05 and returning 2/18. We stayed with relatives on St. Simons Island, Georgia from 2/06 until 2/10. Their cottage was an easy walk to St. Simons Light–this shot was taken from the fishing dock looking back at the light on 2/06:

Our hosts weren’t “into” lighthouses before our stay with them (they are now!!). Phyllis asked me what the two steel towers on the nearby river were marking and, as I had no information with me and didn’t recall having taken pictures of them during our Georgia trip in November of 2005, Priscilla and I did some investigating while the boys played golf. One of the historical markers on the grounds of St. Simons Lighthouse states the following:

“The ‘bug beacon’ was used by bar pilots with the lighthouse to form the St. Simons Range. The range was the area represented by the lighthouse in the rear and the beacon in the front. Today the range is marked by the lighthouse in the front and two large steel towers on the Frederica River in the rear. When the lighthouse is aligned between the two towers with an equidistant spacing, the vessel will be on a centerline with the St. Simons Range. The bug beacon was dismantled in the mid 1960's.”

These are long-range shots of the two steel towers on the Frederica River taken on 2/06:

Wednesday, 2/07, was spent locating Amelia Island Lighthouse in northeast Florida. We traveled to Fort Clinch State Park and walked the beach looking for view of the lighthouse from that vantage point but weren’t successful. We did, however, photograph Fort Clinch:

We were able to locate and obtain photos of Amelia Island Light’s lantern room above the trees from across the river. Although owned by the city of Fernandina Beach (the Coast Guard Auxiliary maintains the light), public access to the lighthouse is prevented by the private homes surrounding the property. Constructed of the bricks that were originally the Cumberland, GA Lighthouse that was dismantled and shipped across the St. Mary’s River and reconstructed on the highest point on Amelia Island, none of the historic structures original to the site remain:

Re: CT-GA-FL-VA-MD-NJ-CT - February, 2007 #70095 02/26/07 10:59 PM
sandy Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
We’d hoped to start our excursion on 2/08 at Cape Canaveral, but a call to book passage on the bus while on the road caused a change in plans. The last tour that day left at 1 PM and we had to be there by noon to go through security. The GPS indicated we wouldn’t arrive until 12:30 and we were going to chance it until the operator said I’d be charged for the trip even if we didn’t get there on time AND the lantern room was off the lighthouse for repairs. So. . . .we drove to Ponce de Leon Inlet instead.

This site is a jewel and not to be missed if you’re anywhere within visiting distance:

Its original fixed 1st-order Fresnel lens is housed in a 1995-built exhibit building but I couldn’t find a location to successfully photograph the lens–a location that would do justice to that marvel of technology. I did, however, get a shot of Cape Canaveral’s revolving 1st-order Fresnel lens which is housed in Ponce de Leon’s exhibit building, as are two smaller replica lenses:

Next stop was St. Augustine, FL:

Last shot for the day was St. Johns River LH, FL. Surrounded by a chain-link fence encompassing the Naval Station Mayport, both this light and the light built to replace this one (St. Johns LH) are very difficult to view. We were able to photograph St. Johns River LH because it is near the road, but the two marines who hightailed it to the fence when Stan aimed his camera between the chain links were quite intimidating–even with their “Yes, Sir, No, Sir. Photograph only the lighthouse, Sir.” Got an ace up my sleeve that may or may not win me a pass onto the base to shoot St. Johns the next time we travel to the area–remains to be seen, literally and figuratively:

Left Georgia on Saturday, 2/10/07 and traveled to Williamsburg, VA to see lights we weren’t able to see during the VA trip last summer because I came down with Lyme Disease. You should know that I don’t count a lighthouse as “seen” unless we’ve photographed either the standing LH or its remains, so the photos that follow of remains of many of the screwpile lighthouses may not be “pretty,” but they are what’s standing now.

Traveled to take photos of James River Lights on 2/11. This is the 1941-built 65' high steel skeleton tower that serves as the Jordan Point Range Rear Light. It has a 6-second flash:

First established in 1855, the original lighthouse was the keeper’s quarters with a light on its roof. The house was torn down in 1875 because of shore erosion and a new bell tower built–the lantern was placed on top of it. A new dwelling was built in 1888. The continued shore encroachment caused the sale of the house and property in 1927; it was abandoned in the 1930s.

We were unable to locate the Range Front Light which is purported to be near “Indian Point” and 16' high.

Re: CT-GA-FL-VA-MD-NJ-CT - February, 2007 #70096 02/26/07 11:00 PM
sandy Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Next stop was Dutch Gap Canal Lights–the last station on the James River. These are the two masts on poles that support lanterns–the originals were constructed in 1887. The lighthouse was deactivated in 1910. Part of an 800-acre conservation area maintained by Henricus Historical Park, all that remains of the keeper’s dwelling are the chimney and a few corners of bricks.

Deep Water Shoals LH remains–an automated 34' high steel tower built on the original foundation. It was a small screwpile lighthouse with a 6th-order Fresnel lens. Severely damaged by ice and storms in its first year of operation (1855), in 1867 it was completely destroyed by moving ice. A replacement was built a year later on wood pilings. Decommissioned in 1936, it was torn down in 1966. Located within the boundaries of Fort Eustis, we were amazed at how easily getting on and off the base proved to be, especially after our experience at Mayport Naval Station.

Monday, 2/12, we traveled to Jones Point, VA and treked to photograph the light in Jones Point Park. Construction work on the Woodrow Wilson Bridge required a bit of circuitous walking within the construction site, but we eventually located the light:

Fort Washington, MD was next:

Re: CT-GA-FL-VA-MD-NJ-CT - February, 2007 #70097 02/26/07 11:02 PM
sandy Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
We did get a long-distance photograph of Smith Point, VA but it’s really difficult to make out the light so I’ve elected to exclude it in the hopes that we’ll get a better one next time.

Tuesday was rainy and cloudy so we stayed in and made plans for the rest of the week.

Wednesday, 2/14/07, morning found us photographing New Point Comfort:

Stingray Point Replica:

Stingray Point Remains:

Smithfield Station Waterfront Inn, Smithfield, VA was built to resemble a lifeguard station and is on the Pagan River. The real estate lady getting out of her car just as we arrived at the Station was quite effusive about the owners of the property and expanded on how much they’ve done for what was a really run-down community for years prior to their making improvements.

The “surprise” was the Hooper Strait, MD reproduction that’s positioned in front of the Inn. There wasn’t anything on any of the websites I visited prior to traveling there that indicated that this was on the property. It’s touted as being the only lighthouse in Maryland that’s available for overnight stays and is a favorite honeymoon site:

Re: CT-GA-FL-VA-MD-NJ-CT - February, 2007 #70098 02/26/07 11:03 PM
sandy Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Thursday, 2/15/07, we traveled to Portsmouth to see the Hog island Fresnel Lens Exhibit Pavilion:

Old Plantation Flats Replica–the lighthouse is located in a manmade lake on the shores of the Chesapeake Bay approximately 2 miles from the original. Stan talked to the groundskeeper (the lighthouse is on Bay Creek Golf and Marina Resort) and was told that the owner/builder is a stickler for detail and has had everything related to the replica and its contents either purchased as an original or duplicated from original photos, etc.:

Old Plantation Flats Remains:

Next stop was to photograph the Rappahannock Shoal Channel RR Light Tower–built in 1991 to mark the southeastern end of the channel that’s in the middle of the Chesapeake Bay that helps vessels steer clear of dangerous areas near Tangier Island. The rear light is a modern tower that’s about 230' high and is built on a caisson:

The FR Light Tower is a simple 33' high modern beacon:

Re: CT-GA-FL-VA-MD-NJ-CT - February, 2007 #70099 02/26/07 11:06 PM
sandy Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
We stopped at Accomack County Airport and arranged for a flight to take us see two lights that we otherwise would not have been able to see. We were successful with Solomon’s Lump:

But our pilot could not locate Hooper Island and was ordered to leave military air space in the area even though he’d gotten permission to fly in the area prior to leaving the airport.

Saturday, 2/17/07, we left Williamsburg and traveled to Chincoteague to photograph Assateague:

and Killock Shoal Remains:

Sunday’s excursion was the piece de resistance (Bob M.–the best time is NOW!!) as we came home by way of Chapel Hill, NJ and dearly beloved climbed the icy hill leading to the property on which Chapel Hill Rear Range Light is located:

I only count a “seen” lighthouse once and I don’t count faux lighthouses, although we do photograph them. We’ve photographed 467 lights (including these) since I got the bug in 2001, most of them in the last 3 years.

Hope you've enjoyed your mid-winter excursion with us--thanks for coming along. . . .

Sandy

Re: CT-GA-FL-VA-MD-NJ-CT - February, 2007 #70100 02/27/07 11:57 AM
fra02441 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Hi Sandy. Great trip and thanks for the photos. Hope to see you on a trip this year.
Fran

Re: CT-GA-FL-VA-MD-NJ-CT - February, 2007 #70101 02/27/07 12:28 PM
BeaconBob Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Sandy,

Thanks for sharing. These are really quite informative.

And congrats on the Chapel Hill lighthouse visit. Someday, I'll have to ask you for driving directions as to where it is located so I can get a glimpse of it as well.

Still looks like there is alot of greenery around the house, even in the winter.

Bob J ~ 65 Lighthouses, 2 Lightships, 25 Life Saving Stations Visited ~
"I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
John 8:12
Re: CT-GA-FL-VA-MD-NJ-CT - February, 2007 #70102 02/27/07 12:29 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Wow, and double Wow! That was quite a trip! Thanks for taking the time to post all those pics and narrative. That was a lot of work.

smile Bob smile

Re: CT-GA-FL-VA-MD-NJ-CT - February, 2007 #70103 02/27/07 01:16 PM
5lights Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Thanks for sharing your trip, Sandy! Great narrative and wow! a whole lot of lights!!!
Enjoyed the photos immensely-especially the remains. Intereting to see-although sad that this is all that is left after time.
Sounds like you had an interesting time with the military!

Debbie
Re: CT-GA-FL-VA-MD-NJ-CT - February, 2007 #70104 02/27/07 01:26 PM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Sandy, this was great, and also an education. You actually showed me a few out of the way lights (or remains) not that far from me.

Used to live near the Dutch Gap Canal Lights about 32 years ago. Didn't understand what they were then, but the view sure was pretty.

Wasn't the Ponce De Leon station gorgeous?

Thank you for sharing your winter journey.

Judy

Judy
Re: CT-GA-FL-VA-MD-NJ-CT - February, 2007 #70105 02/27/07 01:52 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I have to agree with everyone, WOW !!!

Thanks for posting these great photos. I especially like the Chapel Hill pics.

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: CT-GA-FL-VA-MD-NJ-CT - February, 2007 #70106 02/27/07 02:01 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Very nice pictures of some very interesting lights. Those little ones on the river are some that I've never seen posted here before. Thanks for sharing them.

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: CT-GA-FL-VA-MD-NJ-CT - February, 2007 #70107 02/27/07 02:59 PM
MrsTLC Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Great story and pictures, thanks for taking us along. It is sad to see the condition of Assateague. frown Sure does need a good paint job.

Ruthie
"Where words fail, Music speaks"
Re: CT-GA-FL-VA-MD-NJ-CT - February, 2007 #70108 02/27/07 03:31 PM
Lighthouse Duo Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Fantastic pictures! I especially loved to see the unusual lights, masts etc. you don't normally get shown!
Thanks for sharing !!! smile

Margret
Lighthouse Duo
Live Love Laugh ...
Re: CT-GA-FL-VA-MD-NJ-CT - February, 2007 #70109 02/27/07 05:52 PM
sandy Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Thanks everyone. Was really nice getting away after holidays and before tax season crunch. Agree with Ruthie that Assateague is truly an eyesore. It was equally sad having to visualize all the "lost" screwpile lights--wouldn't that have been a sight to behold on the Chesapeake had they survived? Assateague is in a national park and our taxes pay for upkeep and maintenance of our parks. It would truly be our loss if that lighthouse goes the way of the screwpile lighthouses. Best way to describe these is "Katrinad" (if a person can go "postal", a building can be "katrinad"). Don't think anybody would have a problem figuring out what it meant. . . .

Sandy

Re: CT-GA-FL-VA-MD-NJ-CT - February, 2007 #70110 02/28/07 03:28 PM
Grover Offline
Hi Sandy ...

Thanks for the travelogue ... lots of pictures of structures I wouldnt have thought to shoot and I thank you for sharing ...

Regarding Assateague ... were you able to tell if the NPS was just late on its repainting or was the tower itself in disrepair?

"Wisdom and Strength are NOT opposing values"
Re: CT-GA-FL-VA-MD-NJ-CT - February, 2007 #70111 02/28/07 05:55 PM
MelJB Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Sandy, thanks for sharing your lighthouse adventures. I had no idea about so many of the VA river lights you provided. Thanks!

So sad to see Assateague in such need of a paint job. frown This light is so wonderful and in such a great setting. The walk to the light is very peaceful and green in the spring and summer. Just make sure you have bug spray as the 'skeeters can be fierce!

Melody
Re: CT-GA-FL-VA-MD-NJ-CT - February, 2007 #70112 02/28/07 08:23 PM
sandy Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Grover,

Altho' I'd heard last summer that the site had been cordoned off because part of the railing had fallen off, that appears to have been replaced. There was a chain across the patch leading to the lighthouse and the sign telling pedestrians that they couldn't access the path was turned around so that Stan didn't see it when he climbed over the chain. I was in the car fiddling with the GPS and didn't see the sign until he was already behind the lighthouse. He says it appears to only need a good painting, but that railing falling off strikes me as something with the structure's stability that needs investigation.

So. . . .I think it needs more than cosmetic work; Stan thinks it only needs a paint job. Take it from there. . . . violin violin

Re: CT-GA-FL-VA-MD-NJ-CT - February, 2007 #70113 02/28/07 10:43 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Sandy - GREAT PICTURES! I'd love to return to these regions with my "serious" lighthouse passion...the only time I've been to the deep south (excluding the OBX) is the beginning of it all - St. Simons in 1999. Since then, I haven't been south of Ocracoke. And the last time I did the Chesapeake was in April 2001, when I had only the Roberts/Jones books (and their limited scope) to guide me and a junky, freebie less-than-disposable camera to record it.

I so want to go back with my internet resources and D50 and revisit these lights. Again, they're so close - I went to DC to pick up my car a few weeks ago, and I realised that Havre De Grace is inside of two hours away. Down the Turnpike, across Delaware (get out the spare fuel!) and a bit of MD...and you're there. I forgot how close these lights are to go down to...and I may take a trip this summer to do as such, at least the northern half.

And also, for comparison...I found a picture from either August 2000, August 2001, or November 2001 of Assateague. I don't really have a scanner right now, so I took a picture of the print and uploaded it. It's a touch blurry, and you can tell it's a picture-of-a-picture, but the lack of wear is telling.
[img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/136/406238340_ea784a763c.jpg?v=0[/img]

Re: CT-GA-FL-VA-MD-NJ-CT - February, 2007 #70114 03/03/07 12:44 AM
Bill and Judy Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Thanks, Sandy, for sharing your great pics. There are several that are on our list to visit and seeing them just makes us more anxious to get on the road!
Judy

Re: CT-GA-FL-VA-MD-NJ-CT - February, 2007 #70115 03/19/07 12:21 AM
grandmaR Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Wonderful trip.

I visited at the St. Simon lighthouse for the first time this winter also - I'd only seen it from a boat.

Your photo looks so much better and more artistic than mine that I hardly recognize it as the same place. Maybe because it was overcast and rainy when we were there.

The access to the Amelia Island lighthouse is not prevented by private homes. I've been to it and photographed it from the road from in front of it. The real problem is the excess foliage - you can't get a good view of it from anywhere.

The city is overseeing the current restoration of the lighthouse tower. Plans were to open the tower in 2004 on a limited basis. When we saw it in February 2005, the lighthouse was off limits for visits.

When we visited in January of 2007, I assumed it still wasn't open, and concentrated on the Fort Clinch view which someone here had told me about.

How did you get such a good picture of New Point Comfort? It doesn't look like you could get there from land.

Wonderful picture of Solomon's Lump

I suspect that the reason that you couldn't get to Hooper

is because they were doing bombing of the range which is by Point No Point right across the bay. Sometimes they bomb with jets, sometimes with heliocopters and sometimes with gun boats. Different distances from the range are required depending on what kind of equipment is bombing the range. They really don't want civilians getting killed by stray bullets.

Re: CT-GA-FL-VA-MD-NJ-CT - February, 2007 #70116 03/19/07 12:36 AM
sandy Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Rosalie,

Stan took the picture from the observation deck with his 10X zoom digital camera. I magnified it during the cropping session and am tickled that you think it came out so well.

Your shots are super. I have a shot of Amelia very similar to the one you posted here, but chose not to use it because of the foliage obstruction.

Sandy

Re: CT-GA-FL-VA-MD-NJ-CT - February, 2007 #70117 03/19/07 09:52 AM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Rosalie,

I wish you had posted that info about Amelia Island one day earlier- we stopped there yesterday and based our info on the listing on the Lighthouse Friends site.

We did get some photos of the ruins of the oil house of one of the other 3 beacons on Amelia Island, though.

We fly home tody so I'll be posting my photos soon.

Dennis

Re: CT-GA-FL-VA-MD-NJ-CT - February, 2007 #70118 03/19/07 10:36 AM
Lorie Roe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Sandy...thanks for posting some great pictures and your travel log. Some of the river lights I had never heard of or seen before.

Re: CT-GA-FL-VA-MD-NJ-CT - February, 2007 #70119 03/19/07 11:18 AM
Lighthouse Duo Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Wonderful trip Sandy, we enjoyed "coming along"
Thanks for the great pictures!
applaud

Margret
Lighthouse Duo
Live Love Laugh ...
Re: CT-GA-FL-VA-MD-NJ-CT - February, 2007 #70120 03/19/07 11:31 AM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Thanks for posting all these great photos and the info as well!!!

I'm taking some notes for when I travel south to do some lighthousing. laugh

Stan M
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: CT-GA-FL-VA-MD-NJ-CT - February, 2007 #70121 03/19/07 01:04 PM
grandmaR Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
wheland I got the information about photographing the lighthouse from Fort Clinch from this group. I don't know what the Lighthouse Friends site says.

I was posting pictures about my trip this past winter, and no one made any comments (for or agin) after Ponce Inlet so I stopped. We also visited Hillsboro and St. Simons. The information on both Ponce and Hillsboro was VERY confusing on the internet I thought. I eventually found them but it took several tries.

Re: CT-GA-FL-VA-MD-NJ-CT - February, 2007 #70122 03/20/07 07:40 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
Originally posted by grandmaR:
I was posting pictures about my trip this past winter, and no one made any comments (for or agin) after Ponce Inlet so I stopped. We also visited Hillsboro and St. Simons.
Rosalie,
I must have missed the tread with your pictures. I for one would love to see some pictures of Hillsboro and St. Simons. Maybe you could bring your tread back up to the top and then add these.

Stan M

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,193 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users