Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Summer of Lighthousing #70084 08/03/02 01:56 PM
N
Nana Offline OP
OP Offline
N
This summer was a great time of lighthousing and more lighthousing. All my trips were fun and rewarding because I got to see and photograph many lighthouses and met really interesting folks along the way.

First trip carried me to the wonderful world of Door County...much has been talked about the trip the Wackos took before the Chicago Reunion...great fun and lights. My personal favorite was North Point in Milwaukee. When restoration is finished, she will look great.

After Chicago, I flew out to San Diego. Our Tampa Bay group is going on a 2 week trip next summer, beginning in San Diego, so I had to check on some things. Managed to get some great shots of New Point Loma and talk to the new CG Public Relations Officer. Would you believe he is from Tarpon Springs and went out to Anclote Key quite often when he was growing up? small world

In mid July I went to the Northeast for a MA, RI, and Maine visit. Every day we found 6-10 lights to photograph. Most days we were exhausted and full of lobster when we stopped, but found renewed vim and vigor for the next day. My weekly favorite was Beavertail. We just happened to arrive when a storm was brewing and the whole scene was great.

On our boat ride out to Boston Harbor Light, a darling young woman, Tiffany(from Texas) and I got acquainted when I loaned her my lens. She has just begun to photograph lights, but has "the chase" down pat! Only real disappointment of this trip was not getting to walk around the light. The water was quite rough and CG advised us not to even try. So, we had a harbor trip and were able to see even more.

While trying to find the location of the Dumpling Island light, we had an interesting adventure. We were at the guardhouse when a resident of the gated community came along and said he and his wife would be glad to show us around. Later, when we got out at the shore, we found out they had lived in Corolla, NC and knew we were true lighthouse lovers, since not many of the community knows about the history of the area.

My summer won't be complete until after Labor Day. As an early birthday present, my husband and I are going out to San Fran and bum around for a couple of days. No telling what mischief we can get into there.

Hope all of you had great lighthousing summers and that you have another trip planned for some time soon.
Derith

Re: Summer of Lighthousing #70085 08/03/02 02:27 PM
Elmer Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Hi Derith,

You've been a busy young lady! Are you or any of your Tampa cohorts planning on going to New Jersey in October for the Lighthouse Challenge??

Enjoy the rest of the summer, smile smile

Carol & Dan

Re: Summer of Lighthousing #70086 08/03/02 04:31 PM
N
Nana Offline OP
OP Offline
N
My thoughts are to try and make that weekend in NJ. Haven't talked to anyone who is going from the club. My only problem in planning to go is that I will have to leave late on Friday and come back on Sunday..work.
Derith

Re: Summer of Lighthousing #70087 08/03/02 07:19 PM
Todd Shorkey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Wow Derith!

What a great summer so far! Thanks for sharing that with us, and remember, there are still plenty of lighthousing months left before winter....

-Todd

Re: Summer of Lighthousing #70088 08/04/02 12:02 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
The Lighthouse Pixie certainly has been a busy litte lighthouser!

Dave

Re: Summer of Lighthousing #70089 08/04/02 12:56 AM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
Not so strange Derith, when I ran the Aids to Navigation Team in San Diego and took care of the Point Loma Lighthouse I was originally from Palmetto ,FL and visited the Egmont Key Lighthouse when growing up. Even better the Vice Group Commander at San Diego while I was there was a Palmetto High School Graduate 2 years ahead of me and he probably had my dad as one of his High School Teachers. Go Tigers!!!!!!!!

Small World! laugh

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,980
Posts184,642
Members2,583
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Rock), 1,822 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
coloradolights, PortageRivrLight, DenizensofDeep, Rtubbs, SafeHarbor
2583 Registered Users