cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
NELL Spring Meeting- And Beyond Pt 6 Halifax and Nearby #69863 06/26/07 01:31 AM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
We decided that Wednesday would be the day to see the lighthouses in the Halifax area and nearby. The weather was a bit gray and rainy for a good part of the day- it never rained hard but it never got very clear either.

We drove first out to the entrance of Halifax Harbour to see Chebucto Head Lighthouse. We again used a combination of the gps and directions taken from my mapping program. the gps seemed to not have a great detailed data base for much of the trip in Canada.

It worked basically very well but it had several meltdowns where it gave directions to turn left in 250 yards while we were speeding down a superhighway nowhere near an exit. It reset itself quickly. It also took us 3-4 miles to basically go around the corner several times.

Her's a shot of the Chebucto Head LH

This helicopter was flying what seemed to be about 100 feet above the water near the LH.

Here's a different view of the LH.

Dennis

Re: NELL Spring Meeting- And Beyond Pt 6 Halifax and Nearby #69864 06/26/07 01:41 AM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
We continued on down the coast after backtracking almost into Halifax itself- sometimes there are no direct lines between lighthouses as we all know.

I missed the turn to Peggy's cove- don't know how since it was plain as day. We continued on to the Swissair Flight 111 Memorial.

Here's a view of Peggy's Cove from there-

We drove on back to the town of Peggy's Cove which is about the size of a small shopping center.

Here are several views of Peggy's Cove LH.

This one includes Esther in the photo. It took some patienc eto get those photos of Peggy's cove without any people in them. i have many more with people as well.

We left Peggy's Cove and drove down the road and got some distant views of Indian Harbour Lighthouse across the water.

Here's a photo of it taken from between some trees.

We left there and drove on to Lunenburg, NS. we stopped on the way in Mahone Bay which is famous for it's three churches that have been photographed almost a s much as lighthouse like Portland Head and Peggy's Cove.

We did find a small lighthouse in the bay right outside the town called Westhaver Island .

Here's a photo of that one-

We walked around the town a bit and did some shopping then moved on to lunenburg to do the same. I had left my book about nova Scotia lighthouses with all the directions to them at home- I printed out the directions to the ones I planned on going to.

I saw some things about a Lunenburg Breakwater Lighthouse and asked one of the shopkeepers how to get to it. i followed his directions but either I misunderstood or he gave me a bum steer but we never got to the Lunenburg Breakwater LH.

We did mange to find the La Have LH which is a faux light that is a replica of the fort point Lighthouse that is located in Fort Point Nova Scotia. Here's a photo of it.

We left there and drove on back to Halifax after another fine day of lighthousing

Dennis

Continued in Pt 7

http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/cgi-bin/forumscgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=15&t=001193

Re: NELL Spring Meeting- And Beyond Pt 6 Halifax and Nearby #69865 06/26/07 02:27 AM
Lorie Roe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Great travel log Dennis. Thanks for sharing. smile

Every time I see pictures of Peggy's Cove I am reminded of the only time I have visited this lighthouse...9-11-2001. frown John and I were inside the lighthouse post office getting some post cards stamped with the lighthouse cancellation when someone walked inside and asked if we were Americans. He then proceeded to tell us about the planes hitting the WTC. It kind of made the rest of our trip less enjoyable in addition to being stranded in Montreal until the airport re-opened.

It would be nice to go back in happier times. smile

Re: NELL Spring Meeting- And Beyond Pt 6 Halifax and Nearby #69866 06/26/07 01:29 PM
fra02441 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Very nice pictures. Looks like you had a great time

Re: NELL Spring Meeting- And Beyond Pt 6 Halifax and Nearby #69867 06/27/07 09:43 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
If you can't tell already, I'm enjoying all the work Dennis put into sharing this trip.

smile Bob smile

Re: NELL Spring Meeting- And Beyond Pt 6 Halifax and Nearby #69868 06/27/07 11:29 AM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Bob,

Thanks again. I enjoy putting these together- almost as much as the trip itself.

I'll be truthful here- I use the posts I put oh the forums as my Lighthouse Travel journal. I wait until the topic has stoped getting responses and I then print it out and add the story to what i already have.

This way I don't have to do it twice and I can read it at a later date- i have terrible handwriting. laugh

Dennis

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,175 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users