Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Maine Lighthouses #69727 09/08/04 08:01 PM
C
Charleston Lights Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Please help with a trip planned to Maine at the end of this month. Our plans are to spend several days at Acadia and then work our way down the coast to Portland.
Does anyone recommend any cruises that are a good way to see the most lighthouses? Has anyone taken the lighthouse tour in Novia Scotia that is offered by the Cat?
Any help would be appreciated.

Doreen Larimer
dlarimer@comcast.net

Re: Maine Lighthouses #69728 09/08/04 08:44 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
The Elms B&B in Camden does some tours. Looks like they even have a special going in September. I believe there might also be some weekend tours from the Elms and others in the area.

Hope you have a great trip. Please share your adventure and pictures with us when you return.

Re: Maine Lighthouses #69729 09/09/04 12:00 AM
Gebby Offline
A great way to see alot of the lights around Acadia National Park is by air. My wife and I saw nearly 6 lights by a small plane that flew out of Bar Harbor. Petit Manin, Winter Harbor Light, Egg Rock, Bear Island, Bass Harbor, Baker Island and Blue Hill Bay Light. Make it 7. Definately a different perspective of the lights, which by the way they are almost impossible to see some of them except by air or chartered boat, and also a great way to see the beautiful terrain of the land and sea. I would do it if I was in the area again.

Ken

Re: Maine Lighthouses #69730 09/09/04 01:38 PM
kory63 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Doreen,
Sis & I are leaving for Maine on Monday. We already have reservations for 2 Sunday (19th & 26th) trips out of Camden. These are advertised in the LH Digest. LH Digest It seems like a wonderful trip and they are to many LH's we've never gotten to.
We've also done a trip out of S Freeport to Seguin that was fantastic. Sorry I can't remember or find the name. You can find brochures for it all over once in Maine. It was from a B&B on the left as you drive down to S Freeport Harbor.
Hope this helps! Maybe we'll meet on the trip.
Rick
P.S. Don't forget Bill is at the LH Depot in Welles on the 18th! We will be there!!!!

Re: Maine Lighthouses #69731 09/09/04 03:22 PM
CarolZ Offline
My husband and I went on a great cruise out of Bath to see all the lighthouses on the Kennebec River. It included over 12 lights. We will always remember that trip...on the way into the dock afterwards the Captain announced that "while we were out 2 planes crashed into the Twin Towers in NYC and many lives have been lost". What a horrible day! But the lighthouses were nice.

Re: Maine Lighthouses #69732 09/15/04 07:48 PM
kikigl Offline
That was good advice about the lighthouses in the
Camden area. I have done several trips. One of the sponsers was the Elm Bed and Breakfast in Camden. They have a web site at Elms Bed and Breakfast. com. We saw seven or eight lighthouses on each trip.
Boothbay Harbor has Capt. Fish's Tours. These went up the Sheepscot River and back down the Kennebec. We saw all the little lighthouses on the river and more in the bay.
I just returned from Maine and a trip around the Portland area.
Went to Pemiquid Point and was lucky enough to
get there at a time when we could climb the tower.
The view was fantastic and I got some great pictures from up there.
We had lunch at the comination Gift Shop and Restaurant located there. That was interesting and they had several real looking statues of Indians. We had to have our pictures taken with them.
Next we went on to Portland.
We saw Portland Headlight which is magnificent!
You can see Ram Island Ledge Light from there.
Next, we went to Two Lights State Park and saw the
two lights located there. They are both individually owned but we got close enough to get
great pictures. {I think we were on a private street and probably should not have been there)
We went to see Spring Point Ledge Light, which has
an old Fort beside it, part of which is out in the water.
In the same vicinity is Portland Breakwater Light.
Got great shots of this beautiful little light.
Some even had boats in the background.
Great shots of the Portland skyline from here,too.
Don't miss Lighthouse Depot in Wells. This is a treat!
Areally good book is Maine Lighthouses by Courtney Thompson. It gives directions for all
the Maine lighthouses.
I hope this is helpful.

Kay
Re: Maine Lighthouses #69733 09/17/04 05:27 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Doreen, when in Portland the Portland Observatory is well worth a visit too. You can climb up to the top and get a neat view from outside. Since it's north of the Portland area lighthouses you can see some of them to get an idea of where they are.

http://www.portlandlandmarks.org/portland_observatory/observatory.htm

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,429 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users