Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Holland,MI (Big Red) #69327 05/09/99 01:23 AM
Kat Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
Just got back from Holland, Michigan to see the tulips during Tulip Festival....they were gorgeous BUT...the highlight of my trip was the visits to Big Red, South Haven, and St. Joseph's lighthouses. The day we were there Lake Michigan was a bit rough. As it turns out it made for great photo ops...I can't wait to get me pics back and share them with all of you!!

Kat

KAT {=*+*=}
Re: Holland,MI (Big Red) #69328 05/09/99 10:06 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Did you have any trouble getting up to the Lighthouse? I've heard it's in a gated community and is 'off-limits'. I know you can shoot photos from across the harbor entrance.

John

Re: Holland,MI (Big Red) #69329 05/09/99 12:30 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
During the off season you can park and walk the 1/2-mile to the lighthouse, without any problem. During the summer you probably would have to park a mile or so away and look like a boater, instead of a wacko lover of lighthouses. Be very careful in parking your car, because every parking spot nearer the lighthouse is assigned. If you walk along the road with the water's edge on your right you can eventually get to the channel wall and walk on it to get to the path to the lighthouse without ever getting on anybody's property.

WackoPaul '
Keep the Flame

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Holland,MI (Big Red) #69330 05/09/99 11:00 PM
Kat Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
John...just took pics from across the small channel. I thought it was on private property and wasn't accessible to the public any more. Paul, the shot of BY is great, I didn't know that I could have gotten to it from the other side, thanks for the info, I'm sure it won't be my last visit to Big Red.

Kat

KAT {=*+*=}
Re: Holland,MI (Big Red) #69331 05/13/99 07:21 PM
Bill Harnsberger Offline
We visited Big Red a year ago. We tried to drive into the "private" area, but the gate was closed. Fortunately, though, we encountered a couple joggers (and residents)who were heading back in and they gave us the code to raise the gate. They were so nice about it.

So we parked near the water and walked up to the light. So cool to see it after years of salivating over other people's photos. I found it interesting that the gables were created to reflect the Dutch heritage of the town of Holland.

Afterward, we visited a Harbour Lights dealer in Holland...it was just a day or two before they were due to get the open edition of Big Red. They had back orders up the ying-yang. I'm sure they're THRILLED with the GLOWs (that one, anyway).

Glad to hear you had a nice trip. Grand Haven is a great lighthouse, too. Next time you're on the west coast of Michigan, you should check out White River, Little Sable, and Big Sable (although make sure you bring comfortable shoes for that trek...it;s a couple miles away from the parking area).

As for the code to raise the gate to Big Red...don't ask...it's long forgotten, sorry to say.

[This message has been edited by Bill Harnsberger (edited 05-13-99).]

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,052 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users