Next Thread
Print Thread
Help me plan a Split Rock Trip #69275 07/07/01 11:48 PM
P
Pam Baggett Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Hey Gang,
My last posting I told you I couldn't decide where to go next..... Well I have decided! Split Rock sounds like the place to go on Labor Day. I have plane reservations for Sept 1, rental car reserved and best of all I have a room at the Two Harbors Lighthouse Bed and Breakfast with my name on it!!! Is that not cool?!?!? I will be staying in the "Keeper's Room" that has a view of Lake Superior!!! I plan to see the lighthouses in Duluth, Two Harbors lighthouse and of course Split Rock. Has anyone been there lately? If anyone has any suggestions or tips for the trip please let me know! I am interested in any personal experiences you may want to relate.
Pam

Pam B.
Re: Help me plan a Split Rock Trip #69276 07/08/01 12:58 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Pam,
Sounds like you have things pretty well lined up! Should be a great weekend for you. Don't forget your camera, lots of film, your hiking boots (it's a long walk down to the water level at Split Rock where you get the really great pictures). Oh, and bring lots of mosquito spray.

Have a great trip.

Dave

(p.s. Maybe by the time you get done posting about this trip you can make it to 50 posts!)

Re: Help me plan a Split Rock Trip #69277 07/08/01 12:59 AM
TD Offline
Pam, great choice. Where are you flying into, Mpls. and then Duluth? Or are you driving from Mpls. to Duluth? Don't forget to go to Superior to see Wisconsin Point. Everyone goes to Duluth to see their lighthouses and most people don't even know about Wisconsin Point. Very under rated light. It is only about 25 minutes from Duluth Harbor. I go up to Split Rock every year. It is outstanding. Be sure to go on the tour. They pretend that you are in the early 1900's when you tour the keepers house. Be sure to go to Betty's Pies and Gooseberry Falls between Duluth and Split Rock. When in Duluth you have to go to Grandma's for lunch or dinner. If you get to Duluth early go to the Maritime Museum they should have a schedule of ships coming into Duluth. Hope this helps? If you need anything else shoot me an E:Mail.

TD from Mpls

[This message has been edited by TD (edited 07-07-2001).]

Re: Help me plan a Split Rock Trip #69278 07/08/01 01:41 AM
K
kscroope Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
K

Re: Help me plan a Split Rock Trip #69279 07/08/01 10:41 AM
P
Pam Baggett Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Wow! Thanks for all the Links. They were very interesting. Each and every thing I read or hear gets me excited all over again. I will be nuts by the time September gets here. I know that all my non lighthouse friends are going to be tired of me talking about it, and just wait until I get back and have pictures they will hate me by then. But I think it is just a cover for how jealous they are of my passion and me making my dreams come true. What do ya'll think?!?!?!?
But anyway I will be flying into Minnieapolis, arriving about 3pm. Rent the car and drive to Dulth. I don't think I will have the time to see anything that evening But I will at Split Rock bright and early the next morning. Someone told me the best pictures will be in the morning as the sun will shine on the cliff and lighthouse from the east. Is that true? Will a half day be enough at Split Rock? As I would like to take in some of the other scenery including Gooseberry Falls that after noon. I stay at Two Harbours that evening and will of course see that light then. Early next day leave that area and return to Dulth to view those lights before heading back to Minnieapols about 1 pm to catch my 6pm flight home. Does this sound like a feasible?
I still need to have something to do and a place to stay the first night? Grandmas for eats has be recommended by more than one person I have talked to so that will no doubt be including in my trip. Will I have time to see Wisconsin Point????? What else would you suggest?
Pam

Pam B.
Re: Help me plan a Split Rock Trip #69280 07/10/01 03:14 AM
TD Offline
Pam,
Here's a link to the Minnesota Historical Society: http://www.mnhs.org/places/sites/srl/index.html
I agree with Paul, Split Rock is one of the most beautiful sites for a lighthouse. On the way to Duluth from the Twin Cities, stop in Hinckley for a caramel roll at Tobies. You won't regret it. I think everyone in the state has been to Tobies. Your first night I would stay in Duluth at the Inn on Lake Superior in Duluth's Canal Park. From your motel room you can see ships coming into Duluth Harbor and see both North and South Breakwater lights. Ask for a room on the Superior side. I ran out of my room at 11:30 PM to see a freighter come into port. From Duluth figure on a 50 minute ride to Split Rock. You pass Two Harbors on the way. Once at Split Rock you won't want to leave! After the tour take the steps down to the shore. Most people stop at the bottom for photo's but keep walking down the rocks after you take some photos. You will see a little island that when you look back at Split Rock it will look like a river following into Superior. That is a beautiful spot that you will remember for a long time.

Have a great time!

[This message has been edited by TD (edited 07-10-2001).]

[This message has been edited by TD (edited 07-10-2001).]

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,980
Posts184,642
Members2,583
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,742 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
coloradolights, PortageRivrLight, DenizensofDeep, Rtubbs, SafeHarbor
2583 Registered Users