Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
G.L.O.P. Lighthousing Mini-Adventure #69133 09/05/99 10:52 PM
mombo Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I.O. and I embarked on a mini-adventure today as an initial step of his Heart Attack Lighthousing Therapy Program.

If you do not subscribe to Lighthouse Digest or read it on-line, you first need to read this article on the Lost Lights of Fair Haven, New York:

www.lhdigest.com/archives/1999/July_1999/fairhaven.html

Fair Haven is located on Lake Ontario about half way between Sodus Bay and Oswego Lighthouses. We decided to go looking for the still existing keeper's house and we found it!

We took the road north from the village along the west side of Little Sodus Bay. If you stay on it to the end you come to the west pier which is where the lights were.

We looked back towards the land from the pier trying to see where the house could be. We couldn't see much because of the trees so we got back into the car and retraced our route looking for the oldest house (1873). I did notice the article stated it was on a hill so we drove up a private drive up the only hill around.

Sure enough, up behind a more modern house stood another house which had to be it. I jumped out of the car while I.O. remained inside (he's not as bold).

I rang the bell and was warmly welcomed by the owner, Elizabeth Eldredge, a spritely old woman probably in her 70's. She confirmed that the house was the former keeper's residence, her father having purchased it in 1947 (not 1965 as stated in the article).

She said the house had been vacant at the time and had no running water. The kitchen had a pump and a wood stove. She took me through to the lake facing front room which had been called the watch room. It had been partitioned off from the rest of the house and only had one window which faced northeast towards the lighthouse way down below at the end of the pier. She said the keeper had to keep watch over the light from there to be sure it didn't go out. She further stated that it had also been used for chopping wood in the wintertime. There are now three nice picture windows in the room which afford her a beautiful view of the lake. This serves as her living room. There is a sign hanging up outside the door which says "Delite" a name given to the house by Ms.Eldredge.

We spoke a little longer and then I went outside to take a few pictures which I will post eventually (1st 3 on the roll). While I was inside a man in a golf cart from the modern house drove up to speak to I.O. I.O. told him what I was up to and the man, who "watches over" both Ms. Eldredge and her home said, "Yes, that is the old keeper's house and I'm sure Elizabeth is giving her the tour".

The house and grounds were both immaculate. These folks are very proud of what they have and very concerned with maintaining their little bit of lighthouse legacy.

MOMBO

[This message has been edited by mombo (edited 09-30-99).]

Re: G.L.O.P. Lighthousing Mini-Adventure #69134 09/06/99 02:04 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
New carreer for Mombo- going to open a lighthouse detective agency. Guess this trip was a HALT/GLOP adventure? Or wud that b GLOP/HALT?

Sounds like you had a fun trip. Look forward 2 pics.

Gee, if we wrk @ this we cud all talk in accronyms & abbreviations!

CUL,

Dave

Re: G.L.O.P. Lighthousing Mini-Adventure #69135 09/07/99 11:28 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Great story Mombo! The stories that go along with these lighthousing trips are really what makes our addiction fun. I'm happy to hear your S.O. is back in action.
Bob

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: G.L.O.P. Lighthousing Mini-Adventure #69136 09/07/99 12:52 PM
mombo Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I.O. Bob, not S.O.! Makes for a more interesting story!

MOMBO

Re: G.L.O.P. Lighthousing Mini-Adventure #69137 09/07/99 08:16 PM
Digger Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Mombo. Watch out for big mean dogs and men running around carrying shovels. Your IO might be smart. Did you ever see the movie CUJO?

Re: G.L.O.P. Lighthousing Mini-Adventure #69138 09/30/99 10:02 PM
mombo Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Further sleuthing on Fair Haven lights detected another view of the main light:

www.uscg.mil/hq/g-cp/history/WEBLIGHTHOUSES/fairhaven.JPG

as well as a third light!

www.uscg.mil/hq/g-cp/history/WEBLIGHTHOUSES/fairhavenbridge.JPG

Here are the photos I took on Sept. 5th:

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=39476&a=322684

Mombo

[This message has been edited by mombo (edited 10-29-99).]

Re: G.L.O.P. Lighthousing Mini-Adventure #69139 10/01/99 12:01 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Nice pictures Mombo !! Maybe we should make you the official NYS Lighthouse Photographer.

"TheLightkeeper"

Re: G.L.O.P. Lighthousing Mini-Adventure #69140 10/01/99 03:16 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Mombo,
Thanks for sharing,.
Dave

Re: G.L.O.P. Lighthousing Mini-Adventure #69141 10/13/99 01:39 AM
F
foghornkeeper Offline
F
Very nice photos, Mombo. You are also doing a good job sleuthing.

foghornkeeper

foghornkeeper

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,980
Posts184,642
Members2,583
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,553 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
coloradolights, PortageRivrLight, DenizensofDeep, Rtubbs, SafeHarbor
2583 Registered Users