cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Detroit, Michigan #68337 07/18/01 03:04 PM
CarolZ Offline OP
OP Offline
Any lighthouses near Detroit? Once again, business takes me where there is water. And where there is water, there is usually a lighthouse not too far away. Am I right?

Re: Detroit, Michigan #68338 07/18/01 07:29 PM
bright eyes Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Saint John,
Can you help CarolZ with this request?

Mary

Re: Detroit, Michigan #68339 07/18/01 07:36 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
From The Midwest Connection, here's a map of the whole St. Clair River / Lake St. Clair/ Detroit River area lighthouses. Click on the red dots or names of the lighthouses to see more.

I've not seen any of these lights, so perhaps others can help you determine which ones are worth the trip and how to find them.

http://www.midwestconnection.com/Lighthouses/StClairLH.htm

[This message has been edited by JChidester (edited 07-18-2001).]

Re: Detroit, Michigan #68340 07/18/01 09:08 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Carol,

Go north and visit the "thumb" for some quick viewing of some great lights. In John's old neighborhood (Port Huron), start with the Lightship Huron and then visit Fort Gratiot. Then go north on M-25 to Port Sanilac, Habor Beach and on up to the tip to Point aux Barques.

Point aux Barques should be very pretty this time of year as it is in a park with a fair number of trees around it. A couple of years ago we revisited this area and I shared a little about that trip here .

If you want some some, you can work your way up the Lake Huron shoreline for some very enjoyable lights. The trip to the thumb could be very easily done in a day, probably in a half day if you moved along.

Have a fun trip.

Dave

Re: Detroit, Michigan #68341 07/19/01 02:50 PM
Jake Offline
If you go to Belle Isle, you will find long the road the Dossin Great Lakes Museum. This is a very neat maritime museum. They have 2 Fresnel Lenses, the pilot house from the WILLIAM CLAY FORD, and an entire room from the passenger ship CITY OF DETROIT III, and many other things. As you drive towards the other end (towards Lake St. Clair) you will be apporaching the William Livingstone Memorial light. According to Penrose's book 116 Michigan lighthouses, "A short distance after you pass the Coast Guard facility, the road turns to the left. Park in that area and wlak along the asphalt paths to the lighthouses, about a 1/4 mile away at the tip of the island."

Hope this helps.

Stephen

Jakers
Re: Detroit, Michigan #68342 07/19/01 04:09 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Not sure exactly how much time you have to spend, Carol.

I'd say the Belle Isle visit would be an easy one from almost anywhere in the Greater Detroit Area. Again, check the map I linked above. There are several lighthouses long the shore that you could view.

The trip to Port Huron from downtown Detroit via I-94 would take about 50-60 minutes one way. Then the travel time from Port Huron to Pointe Aux Barques at the tip of the "Thumb" would be about 4 hours round trip. Add on time for each stop. It could be a very nice one day trip.

Use the Internet Index of Lighthouse Links - Michigan page and research the opening times for these lighthouses:

Lightship Huron - should be open some hours every day. Very interesting to tour the whole ship

Ft. Gratiot - Generally only open on special days, But Bob Hanford, the 'keeper' might open it up and give you a tour with advance arrangements. email me and I'll give you his phone number.

Port Sanilac - private residence, no tours, but easily photographed.

Drive up the shore farther to Harbor Beach. No access, photograph from the pier at the harbor. But on your way into Harbour Beach, watch for the tiny town of "White Rock". Someone has built their 'dream lighthouse' on the West side of the highway. Again, private, but you can get photos of it from the road.

Next stop Pointe Aux Barques. As Dave said, it's in a park and is open for touring. From there, continue on around the Thumb at least to Harbour City - a restored village to which the Pointe Aux Barques Lifesaving Station was moved. 'Museum' has hours.

If you want to contine around the Thumb a bit more, you'll come to Port Austin. This has an off-shore lighthouse that you'll need a telephoto lens for -- or you might be able to hire a small boat for a trip out the lighthouse, depending on the weather.

You'll backtrack along the Lakeshore to Port Huron and pick up I-94 to Detroit for the return.

There are county roads that would avoid the more crowed shore highway. Check a Michigan Map.

Here's a report on my trip 'around the Thumb'

[This message has been edited by JChidester (edited 07-19-2001).]

Re: Detroit, Michigan #68343 07/20/01 03:36 PM
CarolZ Offline OP
OP Offline
Sounds like I almost have to go around the thumb. How could I be that close and not go!! I was thinking of planning 1 full day of lighhtousing before I have to come home and possibly a few afternoon adventures close by. I will need to plan this a little nore but your tips will definitely help!! I will start by looking up all of the lighthouses you mention on the internet. THANKS!!

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,201 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users