cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Erie, Ontario, and North Atlantic Trip #68101 07/04/02 01:14 AM
LightHog_dup1 Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm planning a motorcycle/lighthousing trip in August and would appreciate suggestions on which lights to visit.

We will be leaving from MI and following the shore lines of Lakes Erie and Ontario (US side only). Then over to Maine and down the Atlantic Coast to Boston or Providence.

We have one nights' accomodations at Selkirk reserved. Other than that the whole trip is open.

My preference is lights which have a museum and or an open tower - but welcome all suggestions. We do want to get some bike riding in also, so we can't visit every light on the route and want to be a little selective

Re: Erie, Ontario, and North Atlantic Trip #68102 07/04/02 01:39 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Roger, in New York you'll want to see Dunkirk, 30 Mile Point, Charlotte-Genesee and Sodus Point. They all have museums and are open to climb. While you can't climb Tibbetts Point it's a nice complex to see. And you MUST get the Penrose book "A Travelers Guide to 100 Eastern Great Lakes Lighthouses". The Seaway Trail folks also have a small book on the lights that's nice too. They also have other publications that may interest you.

Here's their website:
http://www.seawaytrail.com/main_frames.htm

(If you order from them don't send your order to the address listed on the ordering page as they've moved. I believe their address is correct elsewhere on the site. Best bet would be to call the toll-free number to verify.)

Email me with the date you and Adrienne will be at Selkirk. If I'm available I could manage to stop by!

Re: Erie, Ontario, and North Atlantic Trip #68103 07/04/02 06:59 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Roger, Sounds like nice trip. Sorry can't help too much as I'm not too familiar with those areas. Would like to make a similar trip in the not too distant future. Maybe we'll see you at Bayside Treasures on Sunday?? Dan

Re: Erie, Ontario, and North Atlantic Trip #68104 07/04/02 09:15 PM
B
Bud Schrader Offline
Wacko
Wacko
B
Roger, in Ohio Marblehead would be very nice, plus a pretty drive out to the peninsula, right across the bay from Cedar Point. Just up from there is Johnson Island, a Confederate POW camp, the cemetary is all that remains, but a very sobering place- a little hard to find but easy to reach. My next choice would be Fairport Harbor, east of Cleveland. It has a nice museum but is only open from 1-6 on Wed. Sat. & Sun. & legal holidays. Ashtabula Light isn't a real interesting light, but the Great Lakes Marine and Coast Guard Museum is very nice. It is open 12-6 Fri- Sun. and holidays. It is a beautiful drive out to the Presque Isle and North Pier Light in Erie Pa.- lots of beach areas, no museums, however. The Presque Isle light is private, but you can get good views from the beach or road. Erie Land is OK but a hassle to get to. Thats as far east on the lakes that I've made it. The penrose book is a MUST! Hope this helps!
Bud

Bud
Re: Erie, Ontario, and North Atlantic Trip #68105 07/09/02 08:24 PM
LightHog_dup1 Offline OP
OP Offline
Sue, Thanks for the tips. I'll e-mail you the date we're at Selkirk and my cell phone. We'd love to see you

Bud, I hate to admit it, but as close as I am to Marblehead(metro Detroit), I've never seen it. Thanks
Roger

Re: Erie, Ontario, and North Atlantic Trip #68106 07/09/02 10:18 PM
Elmer Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Hi Roger,

The coast of Maine has a large number of lights. West Quoddy is up near the north end of the state and Whaleback is near the south end .... many, many in between. Try to make it to Acadia National Park. It's ben quite a few years since we were there, but I remember it as being quite scenic and diverse in it's geography. The view from atop Cadillac Mountain is outstanding. Bass Harbor light is right in that vicinity.

I believe I have a map of the lights of Maine that you are welcome to borrow for your trip if you so desire. Let me know.

Sounds like a great trip .... one I'd like to do myself.

>===POW:::::::::::::: >O--<
(Elmer shooting at a wascally wabbit)

Dan

Re: Erie, Ontario, and North Atlantic Trip #68107 07/12/02 05:33 AM
chris g Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Hi LightHog-
Bud is correct about Marblehead- it is a great light to visit and is maintained very nicely. It is located in a state park, so a picnic is great there also. We had our lunch just a few yards from the lighthouse, along the shore of Lake Erie.
Fairport Harbor was also very nice to visit. The ladies who worked in the visitor's center were very pleasant and the light is well maintained. The museum is small, but interesting to visit, especially the wheelhouse from the boat.
Vermillion LH is also easy to find and easy to visit. The Inland Seas Maritime Museum is also located there. We did not visit this one, but it appears that there is quite a bit there to see also.
Along the shore in Ohio are numerouse lights that you can only see from afar, like Loraine and Cleveland, but if you are driving the Lake Erie Circle Tour, you will be close enough to see them.
Cedar Point, near Marblehead is a must for any roller coaster enthusiast- 15 coasters in this park- I have been on 10 of them.
Have a great trip!

chris g

Chris G
Re: Erie, Ontario, and North Atlantic Trip #68108 07/13/02 11:54 AM
Elmer Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Love those Cedar Point french fries!

Re: Erie, Ontario, and North Atlantic Trip #68109 08/06/02 12:53 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Update!

I spoke to Roger last evening. He and AK were staying overnight in the Selkirk LH. Unfortunately, due to yesterday having been such a long day because of our Club Event at Ft. Niagara, I didn't get up to see them.

Their trip has gone well so far. They had pretty much skipped the Ohio lights as they felt they could see some of them during a day trip. They had seen the PA lights and in NY had seen Barcelona, Dunkirk, Ft. Niagara, 30 Mile Point, and Sodus Point. They got lucky as they arrived at Dunkirk just as it was closing but the great folks there kept it open for them. Also at 30 Mile Point, they arrived like two hours early, but someone was there and let them in.

Roger and AK were enjoying their stay at Selkirk despite the warm weather. They are traveling with another couple, not really into lighthouses, who opted out of the lighthouse and into a motel with AC!

Today they were going to be doing some traveling through the mountains of New York and then the White Mountains of NH enroute to Maine and more lights. They're not planning on going farther south than Boston. On their return trip they plan to go through the Poconos in PA.

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,980
Posts184,642
Members2,583
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Rock), 1,814 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
coloradolights, PortageRivrLight, DenizensofDeep, Rtubbs, SafeHarbor
2583 Registered Users