Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Question For The Group- LH List #67909 10/18/08 01:16 AM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
I have a list of the Lighthouses in the US that was once available on John's Lighthouse Stickers.com site.

I'm looking for something similar that lists all the lighthouses by state so I can easily do a count of which ones I have seen.

Anybody know of anything out there like that. I did several google searches but came up with only alphabetical lists which are a bit harder to deal with.

Thnaks in advance.

Dennis

Re: Question For The Group- LH List #67910 10/18/08 03:02 AM
06_blkout Offline
http://www.lighthousefriends.com/pull-lights.asp

Is this what you are looking for? I always liked that site. Also, if you go down to the bottom they have a pretty cool "Lights by Map" page where you pick a state and there are little lighthouses on the map in the correct location(or pretty close).

Hope this helps.

Re: Question For The Group- LH List #67911 10/18/08 10:26 AM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Thanks for the response. I was looking for quick and simple something like John used to have on his lighthouse stickers site that could be printed out and had a check box next to each lighthouse. I want something I can mark up and do a head count of LH's on.

It's alphabetical by state and then each state is alphabetical. I want something I can mark up and do a head count of LH's on.

I will probably use the list on lighthousefriends and print that out. It will serve the purpose. I use that site most often when planning trips as it's very useful and almost always correct.

Thanks,

Dennis

Re: Question For The Group- LH List #67912 10/18/08 10:27 AM
AZpharologist Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Dennis: I have a copy of a book called "List of All Existing U.S. Lighthouses", authors are Bob & Sandra Shanklin. Picked it up at a Lighthouse gift shop in Hawaii. Art smile

Re: Question For The Group- LH List #67913 10/18/08 11:28 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Dennis is looking for a somewhat ready to use list of all the lights. I have sent him instructions on how to create the list he wants from the info he has. Using lighthousefriends or the Shanklin book would require hours of work to complete a useable list.

Re: Question For The Group- LH List #67914 10/18/08 02:45 PM
sandy Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Dennis,

I list each state's lighthouses for my photo albums indeces alphabetically by state, then by name of lighthouse. You would have to "massage" the lists to remove the entries I make as to whether or not I've seen the light. If that would be helpful, let me know and I'll send a page or two via an email attachment for viewing. If that works for you, I can copy each page and send them to you via USPS.

Sandy

Re: Question For The Group- LH List #67915 10/18/08 10:18 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
The nice thing about having the list in electronic format is that you can "massage" it however you like, so that it appears how you want it to. I took my list and have it appear in 3 columns, in state order, on a landscape page. Maybe Dennis wants to have his in two columns on a portrait page, and Sandy wants to show it in a single column, new page for each state. All easy to do with the same set of electronic information. No reason to reinvent the wheel, all you need do is design the document to your liking. Using Word or Excel you can really manipulate the data to how you want it.

Re: Question For The Group- LH List #67916 10/19/08 08:36 PM
Weasel58 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I always used to use the list on the coast guard website. I copied it into word and made edits to it that way.

Here is the current page for the Coast Guards list. I know it's a bit out of date, due to loses from the hurricanes the last few years.

http://www.uscg.mil/history/articles/h_remaininglights.asp

Eric
Re: Question For The Group- LH List #67917 10/20/08 02:34 PM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Thanks everybody. My want is simple- i was just looking for a simple checklist type list similar to what john had on his site so I could simply check off easily and count all the lights I've been to.

The one i have now is written all over since I've updated it several times.

I'm going to use on- or more- of the suggestions shortly and get my updated count- and I'll use a modified version of the suggestions to take into account those lighthouses we've seen outside of the US.

Dennis

Re: Question For The Group- LH List #67918 10/20/08 06:57 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
My personal list is a growing website-based database. It's basically a website that I will store online, but not share the link to. However, this obviously isn't what you're looking for.

The only thing I can suggest is going to all the LHFriends pages and either copy-pasting or straight-up printing all the state pages. Play around with that maybe?

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,201 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users