cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Trip to Maine and Nova Scotia #67817 08/22/00 11:22 AM
navyelt Offline OP
OP Offline
This year my wife, my mother-in-law and I started our trek up to Maine and Nova Scotia. The first stop was to Portland to see the lighthouses there. We saw Spring Point Ledge, Portland Head, Cape Elizabeth, Portland Breakwater and Ram Island Ledge lights. I was the only one to trek out to Spring Point Ledge. They laughed and said it looked I was playing hopscotch because there were lots of big rocks and there were gaps in between these rocks, so I guess it looked like hopscotch. Managed to get 2 stamps in my passport at Spring Point Ledge and Portland Head.
The ladies that were in the museum at Spring Point Ledge suggested going to Pemaquid light. So we got directions and away we went. It is a very nice lighthouse and it also houses a nice fishermen's museum inside. Got another stamp there also.
Then we made our way to Bar Harbor. We stayed the night there and the next morning we took the Cat (high speed ferry) over to Yarmouth, Nova Scotia. The ferry travels at around 50 mph and has a restaurant, duty free shop and slot machines to try your luck. After getting to Yarmouth, we sought out Cape Forchu light. What a unique lighthouse it is! It looks like an apple core. It is quite a view from there also. We walked through the keepers house and they had a gift shop there. On the way back to town we also saw Bunker Island light. The next morning we started the long trip to Peggy's Cove. It took about 3 hours to get there from Yarmouth. When we got there, it was very foggy. Eventually the fog lifted. What a great lighthouse. The rocks that surround the lighthouse are incredible. Peggy's Cove is the only lighthouse that has been converted to a post office. I made sure that I got a postmark from the lighthouse. The only problem is that I couldn't believe the number of people that were there! I have never seen that many people at one lighthouse. There were even buses there. What was pretty neat is that they had a bagpiper there.
After Peggy's Cove, we headed back to Yarmouth on the Lighthouse Route, which is very scenic in parts. We stopped in the towns of Mahone Bay and Lunenberg. I got to see the Bluenose II (one of the tall ships) in Lunenberg. Eventually we stopped in Liverpool to see Fort Point Lighthouse. Not a very big light, but unique in its own right. We were also able to see Coffin Island light in the distance, it has been on the endangered list and I hope that it is saved.
Finally, we made it back to Yarmouth and stayed another night before heading back to Bar Harbor. The next afternoon we get back on the Cat and go back to Bar Harbor. We went to see Bass Harbor light the next day. The mosquitoes were having a great time that day eating everyone! The lighthouse is great, I just wish that I could have gotten inside it for a view. After that we decided to go through the loop of Acadia National Park. It is absolutely beautiful through there. I very happy that we got to do that. We went to the top of Cadillac Mountain, which is the highest point on the East Coast. We also saw Egg Rock light off the coast and we went to Thunder Hole, which makes a loud noise when it is close to high tide.
After doing sightseeing we started our trek back home. We decided to stop in Kittery so the women could go shopping! On the way though I wanted to see Whaleback light. It took a little while to find it, but we got there and was able to see not only Whaleback but also Porstmouth light. I dropped the women off at the outlet and I went to the maritime museum to get another stamp for my passport. It was a nice museum. After shopping we had dinner, in which I had a great lobster and mussel dinner. Then we stopped for the night in Mass. then headed the rest of the way home the next day.
Next year we are going to West Quoddy!

Re: Trip to Maine and Nova Scotia #67818 08/22/00 11:29 AM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Sounds like a great trip! We did the slow ferry to Nova Scotia several years ago, this sounds like the way to go.
Don't forget to go to East Quoddy when you make your trek to West Quoddy. Going over to see East Quoddy lighthouse is at the top of my list of lighthousing adventures! The very top!
SaintWackoPaul '
Keep the Flame

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Trip to Maine and Nova Scotia #67819 08/22/00 12:33 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Nice trip! Great places - Portland LHs and Acadia! Thanks for bringing back the memories, glad you enjoyed it.

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Trip to Maine and Nova Scotia #67820 08/22/00 05:11 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Enjoyed reading the log of your trip! It sure sounds as though it was a great time. One of the model ships I.O. has made is of the Bluenose II!

Re: Trip to Maine and Nova Scotia #67821 08/23/00 03:32 PM
Brent Offline
'Sounds like you all had a wonderul time and thanks for sharing the experience. 'Glad you had the opportunity to see "Bluenose II".....Lunenberg is where she and her forebarrer were built. I've been there on numerous occasions and have missed her each time. Like Mombo, I have a model of it in my family room....now all I need to do is sail on the real-thing....just one time....maybe next July (w/crossed fingers). There's a lighthouse near the entrance to Halifax Harbor called "Chibucto Head".....when you stand next to it, looking out at the Atlantic....sometimes you can see the fog come in.....just like a massive roll of cotton. Its a strange site, but quite beautiful. "Chibucto" sits on a bluff, elevated about a hundred feet above the ocean. The view is spectacular!!!

Brent
OBLHS Charter Member

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,052 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users