cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Lake Superior Cruise- Aug 2-3 #67655 07/20/04 03:14 PM
CarolZ Offline OP
OP Offline
Just curious if any other Wackos will be on this trip next month. I'm really looking forward to meeting some of you and seeing some beautiful lighthouses. I plan on driving to a few lights on Sat. and Sun. before the cruise. Can't wait!!!

Re: Lake Superior Cruise- Aug 2-3 #67656 07/20/04 06:01 PM
Lorie Roe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
John and I are flying in to Duluth on Friday night, July 30. On Sat., we are going to Split Rock, Two Harbors, Duluth lights, and Superior lighthouse on our way to Houghton. We were going to try to meet up with the group at Ontonagon lighthouse but I think we are not going to get there in time.

We are going to go on the land tours on Sunday, Wed., and Thurs. We will leave Marquette late Thurs. afternoon and make the drive back to Ashland,WI. Friday morning we are going to take the boat tour of the Apostle Islands. Friday night we will be back in Duluth to wake up for an early flight home on Saturday.

Re: Lake Superior Cruise- Aug 2-3 #67657 07/20/04 06:56 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Carol,

I understand that about 75 are showing up for the Boat Tours on Lake Superior. In addition, Suzanne has planned quite a number of Land Tours for Saturday, Sunday, Wednesday, and Thursday. The last information that I received is listed below:

2004 Keweenaw Lighthouse Land Tours

(1) ONTONAGON, MICHIGAN
Saturday, July 31, 2004
Ontonagon Lighthouse If traveling with us from Houghton, meet in Houghton at Best Western Franklin Square 12:30 p.m. OR meet at 2:15 p.m. at Ontonagon County Historical Society, 422 River Street, Ontonagon, Michigan
Tour starts at 2:30 p.m.
Cost: lighthouse tour free; museum $3.00.
museum, giftshop, passports sold, passport stamp available

(2) JACOBSVILLE/WHITE CITY
Sunday, August 1, 2004 meet in Houghton Best Western 11:00 a.m.
(We can meet earlier if everyone wants to meet for a late brunch or early lunch)

Jacobsville Lighthouse after 1:00 p.m. - tour the privately owned lighthouse

Keweenaw Lower Entry pier light - Coast Guard are opening this lighthouse for us to tour between 12:30 -3:30 p.m

(3) COPPER HARBOR 9:00 a.m-12:30 p.m.
Wednesday August 4, 2004
Meet in Houghton Best Western at 7:00 a.m.

Copper Harbor Lighthouse
short boat trip and tour of Copper Harbor lighthouse and grounds
Cost for our group is reduced from $13/person to $10/person.
Giftshop, passport stamp available. Giftshop is offering 3 free postcards and 10% off of any giftstore purchases for our group.

Copper Harbor Range Lights – will be viewed from boat and can be viewed from land

PICK UP BOX LUNCHES; travel over Brockway Mountain to Eagle Harbor. Eat lunch either at the top of Brockway Mountain or at a roadside park on the way to Eagle Harbor.

(4) EAGLE HARBOR
Wednesday August 4, 2004

Eagle Harbor Lighthouse 1:00-2:00 p.m.
Tour Eagle Harbor Lighthouse and museums; passport stamp available
Cost: free to our group

(5) EAGLE RIVER
Wednesday August 4, 2004

Eagle River Lighthouse
This is a photo stop only. If we don’t have time for it after visiting Eagle Harbor lighthouse, we can come back after the Sand Hill lighthouse tour.

(6) SAND HILLS LIGHTHOUSE
Wednesday August 4, 2004 - 3:00 p.m.
Tour Sand Hills Lighthouse Bed and Breakfast, tower climb
Cost $5.00 per person; passport stamp, small giftshop

(7) BARAGA, MICHIGAN
Thursday August 5, 2004
Meet in Houghton Best Western at 7:45 a.m.

Sand Point Lighthouse – 9:00-10:00 a.m.
The Keweenaw Bay Indian Community will open the lighthouse for us to tour.

(8) BIG BAY LIGHTHOUSE Tour 1:00 p.m.

Thursday August 5, 2004
Tour Big Bay Lighthouse Bed & Breakfast, tower climb, small giftshop
Cost: $2.00 per person

(9) MARQUETTE
Thursday August 5, 2004

Marquette Harbor Lighthouse and Museum (after Big Bay)
Cost $5.00 per person.

Marquette Lower Harbor Breakwater Light

Presque Isle Harbor Light

Hope this helps.

Bob

Re: Lake Superior Cruise- Aug 2-3 #67658 07/20/04 08:34 PM
Jenifer Selwa Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I will be on the lighthouse cruise and on the Jacobsville Tour on Sunday. We are driving to Grand Marais Thursday afternoon with a stop at Au Sable Lighthouse in Pictured Rocks, and then Friday we will be driving to Houghton with a stop in Marquette on the way. We are camping at Ft. McLain State Park Friday-Tuesday night and then going home Wednesday. I'm so excited I can't stand it!! This will be my fifth trip to the Keweenaw and I have never been up there in the summer because we always go for the fall color the first week of October.

Re: Lake Superior Cruise- Aug 2-3 #67659 07/22/04 05:05 AM
RFoster Offline
NELL members Ron Foster, Bob Taylor and Tom Kenworthy will all be taking part in the lighthousing activities that Suzanne has set up. We arrive on July 31st and depart on August 7th. Looking forward to seeing some old friends and meeting new ones on this trip, my first, to Lake Superior.

Ron
(CT Keeper)

Ron
(CT Keeper)
Re: Lake Superior Cruise- Aug 2-3 #67660 07/22/04 12:04 PM
Sunshine Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I'll be there from St. Louis. Hopefully it will be slightly cooler than here. 93 degrees - 87% humidity - Heat warnings out.

Re: Lake Superior Cruise- Aug 2-3 #67661 07/22/04 12:48 PM
Elmer Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Carol & I will be leaving home on Monday the 26th and will stop at Oshkosh, WI., and spend a day at the Experimental Aircraft Expo there on opening day (Tuesday). We have never visited this show before and are looking forward to it. From there we plan on driving up to Duluth and points further north to visit lights along the west shore of Lake Superior. Think we'll go up as far as Thunder Bay, Ontario to visit the light there. After that we'll reverse course and head back towards Ontonagon to meet up with the group on Saturday. We will be staying at the Super-8 in Houghton and do plan on taking both cruises and doing the all the planned land tours. Also looking to work in a lighthousing cruise out of Munising that will go by the lights on Grand Island. Maybe on Friday after leaving Marquette while heading back towards home.

Pictured Rocks Cruises

Hoping that all going will have a safe trip. Looking forward to meeting a lot of WACKO friends once again. laugh laugh

Dan

Re: Lake Superior Cruise- Aug 2-3 #67662 07/22/04 02:42 PM
K
keeperpam2 Offline
Wacko
Wacko
K
I'll be there, of course laugh

After spending the last month on the East coast and West coast, I feel like I am going around in circles and I don't know what time it is eek

Buuuut, it's always great to see the wackos again, and meeting up with new folks!

Re: Lake Superior Cruise- Aug 2-3 #67663 07/23/04 12:36 AM
Tammy Wolfe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Randy and I will are going on this trip. We're planning to meet the group at Ontonagon lighthouse on Saturday. We're going to leave for home on Wednesday after the Eagle Harbor Lighthouse tour. We've been to the UP once before. However, Big Bay and Marquette are the only lighthouses we've toured that are in the plans... I'm looking forward to it.

Lorie, when you mentioned in your e-mail that you were flying into Duluth, I meant to ask you if you were going to visit Split Rock. I'm glad to see that you are. MN North shore is one of my favorite places to visit around here. The Apostle Islands are nice, too!

Re: Lake Superior Cruise- Aug 2-3 #67664 07/23/04 03:04 AM
Jenifer Selwa Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Tammy, I'm glad to hear you ar coming. We'll have to talk more this time around! laugh

Re: Lake Superior Cruise- Aug 2-3 #67665 07/23/04 10:08 AM
Larry R Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Lorie Roe:
John and I are flying in to Duluth on Friday night, July 30. On Sat., we are going to Split Rock, Two Harbors, Duluth lights, and Superior lighthouse on our way to Houghton. We were going to try to meet up with the group at Ontonagon lighthouse but I think we are not going to get there in time.

We are going to go on the land tours on Sunday, Wed., and Thurs. We will leave Marquette late Thurs. afternoon and make the drive back to Ashland,WI. Friday morning we are going to take the boat tour of the Apostle Islands. Friday night we will be back in Duluth to wake up for an early flight home on Saturday.
Wish we had vacation and were able to go with you guys. Thats old home week. Lived in Duluth for 7 years, and born and raised in Ashland, so we could definately show you the sights.

If you get the chance while you are in Bayfield, and want an incredible dining experience, call and see if you can get reservations at the Old Rittenhouse Inn. Last time we were there it was about $50 a person, but a six course meal, and the waiters give you the entire menu verbally. 2 hours that my taste buds will never forget.

Re: Lake Superior Cruise- Aug 2-3 #67666 07/23/04 12:27 PM
Lorie Roe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Sorry we're going to miss seeing you there Larry. John and I had a nice visit with Lucinda at the Door County event.

Re: Lake Superior Cruise- Aug 2-3 #67667 07/24/04 11:02 PM
2beacons Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
The time is drawing closer to Wacko's taking over Lake Superior. We just added Saturday night to our reservation. We will most likely get in late but that way we won't miss the tour on Sunday of the land lights.

See all of you wackos soon.

Mary and Jeff

Re: Lake Superior Cruise- Aug 2-3 #67668 07/25/04 12:49 AM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Sue and I have already started towards the Cruise and I have already started posting images of our trip...
Cruisin to the Cruise..

We are headed to Two Harbors and Split Rock first, staying two nights at the Two Harbors Lighthouse as our base camp... The we are headed over to the Apostle Isles area for two days and going on a couple of cruises past some of the lights...

Then onward to Sand Hills Lighthouse where we will be staying for two nights and re-visiting lights on the pennisula, this time without snow and Lake Superior not frozen! We will be joining up with some of the Wackos for some before cruise lighthouses..

Next stop Houghton and the two days of cruises with a Great group of Wacko's...

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Lake Superior Cruise- Aug 2-3 #67669 07/25/04 10:32 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
For those on the tours, I've put together a set of stickers showing the lighthouses you'll visit with Suzanne.

Profits from tour sales benefit some of the lighthouses along the way.

If you'd just like to take the 'virtual tour' you can visit this page:

www.lighthousestickers.com/stickers/tours/suzanne.htm

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Dave H, Rock), 1,544 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users