Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
We're Looking Into A WACKO Trip... #67584 08/29/04 12:22 AM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
In another thread we brought up the possibility of a trip to visit Point Sur lighthouse to see the 'installation' of the deck prism.

The Desert Lightkeepers are looking into arranging a trip to the California coast.

The tentative dates would be November 11-14, a Thursday to Sunday. We're in the early planning stages.

The concept is those who want to join up would arrive at LAX on November 10. Early arrivers might arrange to tour Point Fermin, Point Vicente, LA Harbor, etc.

The tour would start out early on Thursday the 11th, Veteran's Day, by motor coach from the designated cheap hotel near LAX (across from the 4 star resort, of course), stopping along the way to visit lighthouses, and driving up Highway 1, the Pacific Coast Highway from San Luis Obispo to Monterey. Two overnight stops and you could fly home from San Jose Sunday afternoon -- or from Monterey Sunday morning.

Have no costs yet. We have an indication from Point Sur that they could do the installation on Friday or Sunday, but not while public tours were going on.

Check your airfares into LAX and back from SJC -- and also check them into SJC and back from LAX -- in case that works better for Point Sur. These are usually cheap airport destinations.

Among the possible lighthouses:

Santa Barbara (photo op)
Point Conception
Point 'why-knee-me'
San Luis Obispo
Piedras Blancas
San Simeon (across the road, not a lighthouse)
Point Sur
Point Pinos
Pigeon Point
Point Montara

Anacapa Island would take too long.

The lighthouse pixie can't make this trip, unfortunately, but we'll benefit from her past planning, knowledge, and contacts.

Not asking you to sign up yet, but what is the interest for this tour on those dates? It would take 40-50 people to work with a full-size coach. Some possibility of a smaller coach.

If there's less interest, would you want to rent some H2's or Mini-vans and caravan along the twisty, hilly Highway 1?

Re: We're Looking Into A WACKO Trip... #67585 08/29/04 01:20 AM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
John,

Primary -- who is the lighthouse pixie? Pardon my ignorance.

Secondary -- I would be interested, assuming details would be forthcoming shortly.

Tertiary -- what is your definition of a “cheap motel?” Partially clad women running up and down the hall, weapons issued at check-in, sheets changed monthly whether they need it or not, drug deals going on in the staircase, rates by the hour if requested and police surveillance wouldn’t be too cool.

Quaternary -- I’ve driven Highway 1. Using vans or whatever would eliminate the possibility of the driver enjoying the trip. A bus would be safer and more comfortable and we would probably have a better chance of coming back alive. (Unless you’re talking about a yellow school bus – in which case count me out.)

Finally, this could get rather expensive. Will you chip-in for those of us who live beneath the federal poverty level?

BUT YES, I AM VERY INTERESTED AND HIGHLY MOTIVATED.

Bob

Re: We're Looking Into A WACKO Trip... #67586 08/29/04 02:13 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
The Lighthouse Pixie is Nana / Derith. She took a busload of Tampa club members (and a few strays) up the west coast a year ago. A very successful trip. She has made several other trips up thru the area, and has great contacts.

Re: We're Looking Into A WACKO Trip... #67587 08/29/04 02:27 AM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Thanks, Dave. I was sort of guessing that to be the case, but I wasn't sure.

Bob

Re: We're Looking Into A WACKO Trip... #67588 08/29/04 03:30 AM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Good questions, all, Bahb.

"Cheap Hotel" as in $79-$99 a night, probably. (Maybe I'm showing how long it's been since I stayed overnight in LAX area.)

Re: We're Looking Into A WACKO Trip... #67589 08/29/04 03:58 AM
MrsTLC Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
By Dave (and a few strays) :rolleyes:
I guess I've been called worse.
Ruthie :p

Ruthie
"Where words fail, Music speaks"
Re: We're Looking Into A WACKO Trip... #67590 08/29/04 11:44 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
A really cheap motel the LA area is $0, sleep in the park at Point Fermin, Apparently quite popular by the number of guests living out of shopping carts at Point Fermin

Re: We're Looking Into A WACKO Trip... #67591 08/29/04 01:17 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
This sounds like TONS of fun! laugh However, I can't make it. I'd have school the Th. and Fri. If we did it a week earlier, I could technically make it, due to the NJ Teachers Convention, but then there would still be the cost of flight. frown Plus the fact that I don't really like flying...

Too bad...this sounds like a GREAT trip! smile

Re: We're Looking Into A WACKO Trip... #67592 08/29/04 01:56 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
John,

I just did a quick search for a place to stay on 11-10 and I found about 10 places within 5 miles of LAX (with free airport shuttles) that were below $70 a nigh . some as low as $55 . these are not holes in the ground either- most were 3 stars- Ramada, Days Inn, comfort, Holiday Inn, etc.

I'm going to speak with Esther about this- we have some airline tickets we need to use or lose so this might work out.

I love Pt Sur also. It's a great setting-and the lighthouse is nice also. laugh

Dennis

Re: We're Looking Into A WACKO Trip... #67593 08/29/04 05:35 PM
eskilady Offline
It does sound like tons of fun and I really wish that I could go too - I have never been to CA so have never seen those lights. But it is too far and too expensive so I guess I will have to say "I am sorry but I can't make it!". Why wasn't I born rich instead of beautiful then I could go! :rolleyes:

Eskilady
Re: We're Looking Into A WACKO Trip... #67594 08/29/04 06:46 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
John,

A couple of questions/ comments-

Why are the Santa Cruz Breakwater (Walton) Lighthouse and the Santa Cruz Lighthouse (Surfing museum) not on your list of possibles?

Aren't Point Concepcion, San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara either very difficult to get permission to see and / or time consuming to get to? Or are you getting the benefit of the Pixie's connections?

Dennis

Re: We're Looking Into A WACKO Trip... #67595 08/29/04 07:32 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Santa Cruz should have been on the list. They are easy to see.

Point Conception is hard to get to see and is unlikely. San Luis is probably very difficult for a large motor coach to get to. Also security issues.

I don't have details on Santa Barbara, but thought that access was possible.

Like I said, these are very early plans and the time available and access difficulties will determine what we can see.

Obviously, we can't climb or even approach closely Pigeon Point, but we might be able to have some quality time and Point Sur, Point Pinos and Point Montara.

Perhaps some of those who took Derith's tour in 2003 would be able to comment on access and 'value' for the possible lighthouses.

Re: We're Looking Into A WACKO Trip... #67596 08/29/04 07:35 PM
RezmanDale Offline
Count me in on this one. The time is right, not real busy in the fall/winter months and I would love to get to see Point Conception, San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbarba which I haven't seen yet and to get a gloser look at Piedras Blancas. The rest I have seen but wouldn't mind getting a chance to get some better pictures laugh

Dale

Re: We're Looking Into A WACKO Trip... #67597 08/30/04 02:00 PM
Lorie Roe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I was hoping this would work out for John and I to go along. It's looking like the time is going to conflict with another trip we already had planned. Unfortunately, we thought our other trip was going to be after Thanksgiving but they moved the event up by two weeks.

Re: We're Looking Into A WACKO Trip... #67598 08/30/04 10:30 PM
K
keeperpam2 Offline
Wacko
Wacko
K
This might be a go for me, but only to Pt Sur. I've seen, and climbed most of the lights in CA, so my interest is only in the installation of the deck prism. In saying that, I would be staying in San Jose and come and go from there.
For those that have limited time, there are lights in San Francisco area that one can see,and enjoy.
A favorite place of mine was Santa Cruz this last time I was in CA....July was it?

Re: We're Looking Into A WACKO Trip... #67599 09/01/04 02:07 PM
Lorie Roe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
John...sorry to be so wishy, washy but I think John and I might be able to go with you after all. Please keep me posted on the details.

Re: We're Looking Into A WACKO Trip... #67600 09/15/04 09:51 PM
Twiggy Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Hi John
Just wondering if any new NEWS on the installation date for Point Sur Deck Prism? confused
Again, I would not be joining in the touring part of your trip, but would BE at the installation. cool wink
Just keep us posted on the plans smile .

Twiggy
Re: We're Looking Into A WACKO Trip... #67601 09/16/04 12:58 AM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I'll ask Jim Gullo to post anything new he has from Point Sur about this. But there doesn't seem to be enough interest to hire a motor coach for this journey as of now.

It could be a car-a-van trip or a carpool trip. Perhaps just visiting Point Sur and a couple of other lights, without the end-to-end lighthousing trip I was envisioning from Santa Barbara to Point Montara.

Re: We're Looking Into A WACKO Trip... #67602 09/16/04 01:58 AM
AZlightkeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I have not heard back from Point Sur as to the date. All I know is they need it to be a thursday or a late Sunday afternoon

Jim
Re: We're Looking Into A WACKO Trip... #67603 09/16/04 09:47 PM
Twiggy Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Thanks Jim wink
Please keep us informed, as I would really like to make it there for the installation laugh

Twiggy

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,326 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users