Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Haunted lighthouses --- and others #810 10/25/00 07:02 PM
L
ladylightkeeper Offline OP
OP Offline
L
A NELL member, lighthouse author Elinor DeWire, just e-mailed our membership about a TV program (I think it is for tonight) and information on her website which is filled with lighthouse articles she wrote for magazines. You could read one a week for a year!

I wanted to pass this information on to you, as it definitely deserves your attention.

She is being interviewed on a program about Southwest Ledge Light in New England, on the Fox Family network for their series "The World's Scariest Places" on Wednesday, 9 PM (check your TV Guide for regional time and date also) I am sure this is their Halloween contribution to tv.

Elinor has a great website at www.sentinelpublications.com I just finished reading her great article titled "Haunted Lighthouses" which appeared in the magazine Off Shore in Oct.1987. Read her menu and click onto ARTICLES. Go down alphabetically to the "H" section to find this article. It is cleverly written and contains great seasonal graphics as well as photos.

Elinor has traveled all over the U.S. to hundreds of lighthouses to photograph them for her books and her slide/lecture presentations. There is a section on her website for ordering her lighthouse books.

Do read this article to get into the Halloween spirit. Do you live near any of the lighthouses she is describing? If so, make a night visit on Halloween and let US all know if YOU saw any ghosts of past lightkeepers!!!

Happy Halloween!
Barbara, NELL Founder

------------------
ladylightkeeper

ladylightkeeper
Re: Haunted lighthouses --- and others #811 10/25/00 07:22 PM
O
oseabee Offline
Administrator
Administrator
O
Elinor DeWire is quite a person and she has some good books.I met her at a slide presentation at St.Augustine light.She said she also keeps her husband quite busy taking pictures in his travels.They seem like two great people.Had a very nice chat with them.I do have a few of her books.Thanks for the info on her web site.Have some nice pix with her.Bill O'Brien oseabee

oseabee
Bill O'Brien
Re: Haunted lighthouses --- and others #812 10/25/00 08:09 PM
D
don stewart Offline
D
Thanks for the website tip Barbara. It looks great

Re: Haunted lighthouses --- and others #813 11/01/00 02:27 AM
I
Ida Offline
I
Elinor DeWire just brought out a new book called "The Lighthouse Almanac." It's a sort of trivia book, all about lighthouses, lightships, tenders, etc. Very pretty cover and lots of neat stuff inside. It's available from the publisher, autographed, at http://www.sentinelpublications.com

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,980
Posts184,642
Members2,583
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Rock, Dave H), 1,418 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
coloradolights, PortageRivrLight, DenizensofDeep, Rtubbs, SafeHarbor
2583 Registered Users