Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Trip to Maine 2004 #66407 06/08/03 08:55 AM
TDSimpson Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
We are in the very early stages of planning a 25th wedding anniversary (August, 2004) trip to Maine for some lighthousing. Kind of the honeymoon we never got to have.

Anyway, we are looking for your suggestions on must sees, places to stay and things like that. Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Tom & Diane

Re: Trip to Maine 2004 #66408 06/08/03 11:02 AM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Tom & Diane,

The first thing to do is to get yourself a good book- like Courtney Thompson's Lighthouses of Maine or Kochel's Lighthouses of the Atlantic coast.

These two have great directions and Courtney's has great photos also. You can also find directions scattered around the web- www.lighthousefriends.com is a good place to start.

As for must see's- Portland Head (Museum), Cape Neddick, Pemaquid (now open to climb)(Museum), Marshall's Point (Museum), Owl's Head, Rockland Breakwater, Spring Point Ledge (Museum), Portland Breakwater, Portland Observatory,Cape Elizabeth, West Quoddy Head, the Shore Museum, the Bath Boatworks (Maine Maritime Museum),L.L Bean (Freeport), Acadia National Park (Bass Harbor) and about a million other places.

You'll probably be coming in from the south so include Whaleback and Portsmouth Harbor as your first stops.

I've stayed at two nice hotels in the Portland area- a Fairfield Inn in South Portland and the Marriott nearby (both have pools- FI outside, Marriott- inside).

We ate lunch twice in a little town called Damiriscotta- once at the restaurant at the Marina in town. Your right on the river and the food was good. The other one was at a nice little restaurant (name escapes me, but it's on the left hand side of the road going north right in the middle of town. Also very good food)

Hope this helps. I'm sure others with more specific info will chime in.

Dennis

Re: Trip to Maine 2004 #66409 06/08/03 07:45 PM
DMancini Offline
I'm going to Maine in two weeks.

Dennis has listed the lighthouses that I am making a point to visit. We are going to try to stop by some others as well.

I've already photocopied pages out of Kochel's book to use.

I'll have a better idea about things to do once I get back. laugh

Diane
Re: Trip to Maine 2004 #66410 06/08/03 09:04 PM
Bob48 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
http://www.lighthouse.cc/me.html also is a good site. It provides a south/north listing of the lights (both dead and alive)with fairly good directions. Lighthouse Friends has better maps, I think. The best directions I found were on a handout available at some motels. I think it was state produced. I went after Labor Day but before it got cold and stayed at some fairly empty places on the beaches/harbors at off season rates. Good hunting.

Bob, just plain Bob
Re: Trip to Maine 2004 #66411 06/22/03 08:37 AM
DMancini Offline
I'm off in a couple of hours on my "Excellent Lighthouse Adventure 2003."

Hope to hit a bunch of Maine lighthouses, a few in New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut.

I've got my fingers crossed that the weather will be (somewhat) cooperative!

laugh

Diane

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,980
Posts184,642
Members2,583
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,647 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
coloradolights, PortageRivrLight, DenizensofDeep, Rtubbs, SafeHarbor
2583 Registered Users