Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
The Outer Banks of North Carolina #66000 08/07/99 02:58 PM
T
ternabout Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Begin with Currituck Beach Light (you can climb it). Drive about thirty miles to Bodie (pronounced "Body" for all the bodies that have washed ashore from shipwrecks). Can't climb. Then on to the jewel of the Atlantic, Cape Hatteras, in its new location. From there, take the free ferry to Ocracoke. Can't climb; excellent to photograph. Next, take the Cedar Island Ferry (get reservations) and drive to Cape Lookout National Seashore Park. Take a private ferry (24 ft. Carolina Skiff; $10 per person) to the lighthouse. Can't climb, but great for photography. From there, drive to Oak Island. Can't climb but free tour courtesy of the U.S. Coast Guard. Finally, on to Bald Head, "Old Baldie". Private ferry to the island. $25 per person round trip but worth it. You can climb it and photograph from the top. Prepare to rent a golf cart and spend the day. No private vehicles on the island. Of course, if you live south of N.C., start at the other end and travel north. You will have seen seven lights and had a great time.

Re: The Outer Banks of North Carolina #66001 08/07/99 09:02 PM
P
Pam Baggett Offline
P
I took this trip Memorial Day weekend. I did the first 5 lights in 1-1/2 days. Began at Bodie at 7 am. The most peaceful place of all the lights. Then to Currituck because it did not open until 9:30 am. Climbed it and got beautiful pictures of the Atlantic and the Currituk sound. One the way back down the coast stop at the new large gift shop in Duck / Corrolla And don't forget to go to Nags Head and stop by the Lighthouse Gallery. You can't miss it, it looks like a lighthouse. The best lighthouse store you will find. The people are extremely friendly and you will find some wonderful stuff. You will pass Bodie again, wave and head for Cape Hatteras. You will be there by 3:00. Take time to go to beach while there. The Free ferry will take you to Ocracoke. Can be there by 6:00. This light is the one I found hard to find.The streets are narrow and curve around. But I was alone and I found it. You can too.
Ditto on the reservation to get back to the "mainland" they are strict and it is booked way ahead. Be there 30 minutes prior to the reservation and don't be late. Take the 8:30 pm ferry. That ferry is 2-1/2 hours. That will take you to Cedar Island about 11:00, from there you must go to Harkers Island. You may have to drive in and come back the next morning to go to Cape Lookout. Drive all the way to the end of the road. There are about 10 different ferry services that will take you to Cape Lookout. I chose the very last one. Very nice people. That is for people only and cost $10. They will come back and get you whenever you say. Great service. Do not pass up Cape Lookout. It is the most serene place, and if the weather is right you get the best pictures of all there.
And whatever you do.... DON'T FORGETthe mesquito / bug spray you WILL need it. Take plenty of film and enjoy.
Pam

Pam B.

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,980
Posts184,642
Members2,583
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,553 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
coloradolights, PortageRivrLight, DenizensofDeep, Rtubbs, SafeHarbor
2583 Registered Users