cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Lighthousing on Cape Cod #65970 06/01/02 12:46 PM
DocJ44 Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm going to be in Boston at the end of the month and will have either Friday or Saturday available to sightsee. I know its vacation season and I need some advice from locals. Is it a possibility for me to drive from Boston to Provincetown and see most of the lights of Cape Cod in one day or should I try for a smaller goal?

Doc John

Doc John
Re: Lighthousing on Cape Cod #65971 06/01/02 02:03 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
John,

Several years ago we did Cape Cod on a July Friday. We only went as far as Highland, but we were hindered because we were towing our camper. One thing I would suggest is that maybe you look at lighthousing your way OUT to Provincetown. We ended up on the south side of the Cape in mid afternoon and it was UGLY - major traffic issues. (We had visited Nauset, 3 Sisters and Highland then came back to Chatham and points west.) Perhaps if you start at the southwest side of the Cape and work out to the tip you will not have as much issue with traffic.

Dave

Re: Lighthousing on Cape Cod #65972 06/01/02 04:59 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Doc, did you select "Show All Topics" from the selection once you get to the "Map Room" forum? If you do this you can find threads telling of others' experiences in seeing the lights of the Cape which may be of help. Do you have the Courtney Thompson book "Massachusetts Lighthouses - A Pictorial Guide"? Highly recommended for directions and info. Best site for information is Jeremy D'Entremonts, http://www.lighthouse.cc/ma.html

Another alternative to the traffic issue would be to leave in the wee hours for P'Town and work your way back. Keep in mind that while there are 3 lights in the P'Town area you can't get to any of them without a trek over sand which would certainly eat into your time. If you elect to go this route you may want to start with Highland Light in N. Truro which is the next closest town to P'Town.

Best bet would be to peruse the information, then select your "must see" lights and some "maybes" then go for it! Have fun!

Re: Lighthousing on Cape Cod #65973 06/01/02 05:37 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
We had a bus tour of the Cape Cod lights during the buildup to the 1998 Reunion.

We left from Providence at 6 AM and were in Provincetown at about 9 AM then worked our way back down the cape.

Set a plan to simply photograph lighthouses - like the 3 Provincetown, and Stage Harbor. And visit Nauset, 3 Sisters, Highland, Nobska, for sure.

We were back in Providence about 11 PM after an hour stop for dinner.

[This message has been edited by JChidester (edited 06-01-2002).]

Re: Lighthousing on Cape Cod #65974 06/01/02 06:15 PM
O
oseabee Offline
Administrator
Administrator
O
It is best if you travel any day except Fri,Sat,Sun,or Mon..Bill O'Brien

oseabee
Bill O'Brien
Re: Lighthousing on Cape Cod #65975 06/02/02 12:41 AM
DocJ44 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for all input everyone. I had a gut feeling this may not be the best time of year to try and drive around Cape Cod as the summer season was getting into full swing. I have no option but Friday or Saturday Bill. I would not find it enjoyable to be crawling along local beach roads with bad traffic and getting stressed out. What I think I may do instead is go north from Boston and have Portland Head, ME be my destination (a 2 hour drive according to mapquest.com) and see as many lights as I can along that route...unless someone think that may be an even bigger nightmare. I have basic books and guides already so I have a good idea which lights to see and some directions as to how to get to them. However, I don't have the Courtney Thompson book you mentioned Sue so I think I will see if I can get it from amazon.com tonight.

Doc John
Re: Lighthousing on Cape Cod #65976 06/02/02 01:01 AM
DocJ44 Offline OP
OP Offline
I had a sudden memory spark that Lighthouse Depot was not too far from Portland...and sure enough after checking the map, I would be going right past Wells, ME. Another reason to take a northern lighthouse tour...shopping for lighthouse stuff!

Doc John
Re: Lighthousing on Cape Cod #65977 06/02/02 01:13 AM
Randy Kremer Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Doc,if you do get out near Nauset, stop in and see Chris and Maria at "Collectors World." It's on the main drag and not far from Nauset. They are great folks with a wealth of knowledge about lighthouses and Harbour Lights! Another close one to their store is The Three Sisters' Lights. Chris gave me directions to all of these!

Re: Lighthousing on Cape Cod #65978 06/08/02 07:25 PM
Laurie Offline
John,

If you're going up to Portland Head, consider stopping to see Cape Elizabeth on the way. It's a beautiful light (actually two) and if you time it right, you can have lunch at the Two Lights Lobster Shack, from whose parking lot you get the best view. Portland Head is about 30 minutes north. Another light to see on your way to Portland Head is Goat Island. It can be viewed from Cape Porpoise, which is just north of Kennebunkport.

I envy you your trip up the Maine Coast. I just love it there.

Re: Lighthousing on Cape Cod #65979 06/11/02 12:25 AM
DocJ44 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for your recommendations Laurie. Cape Elizabeth was on my agenda...but I'll make sure I stop at the Lobster Shack for lunch on dinner!

Mombo Sue, I ordered the Thompson's "Massachusetts Lighthouses" book from amazon.com. She also has a Maine Lighthouse book, which I decided to get as well. I should be well prepared.

Doc John
Re: Lighthousing on Cape Cod #65980 06/11/02 12:55 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
I'm sure you'll enjoy the books Doc John! You'll be able to read all about the lights you don't get to this time and make plans for next time! They are pretty much Jeremy D'Entremont's books as he's supplied much of the material for them.

Wherever you decide to go I'm sure you'll have a great time and enjoy whichever lights you see.

Re: Lighthousing on Cape Cod #65981 06/11/02 01:30 AM
Linda Ann Offline
Doc,

Having lived in New England all my life thought I would give you my advice, for what it is worth.

Traffic wise your best bet this time of year would be to head to Maine. The only traffic jam you may encounter would be at the toll booth at the MA/NH border and even then it shouldn't be bad at all. The Cape can be a hit or miss sometimes - great if you miss the traffic, but if you hit it you are in for a nightmare!

We went up to Portland, Maine over the Memorial Day weekend and were able to see a number of lighthouses within a very short driving distance. Right in the Portland area is Cape Elizabeth, Portland Head, Portland Breakwater and Spring Point Ledge. While up there you should make it a point to stop at Cape Neddick.

While in Boston are you going to take a trip out to see the Boston Light? We took a trip out to see (and climb) that light last summer - we enjoyed both the boat trip and our time on the island.

Well, that's my NH two cents worth - hope it helps! Have a fun and safe trip.

Linda

Re: Lighthousing on Cape Cod #65982 07/03/02 03:37 PM
DocJ44 Offline OP
OP Offline
I hit all of those Maine lights on Saturday Linda...including Cape Neddick and the Lighthouse Depot. It was a beautiful day to be out and about! Thanks to everyone for your input and advice.

[This message has been edited by DocJ44 (edited 07-03-2002).]

Doc John
Re: Lighthousing on Cape Cod #65983 07/09/02 03:28 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
to bring back to map room life...

it didn't work..

[This message has been edited by engbrady (edited 07-09-2002).]

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Rock), 1,090 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users