Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Cape Cod #65892 05/25/08 02:17 AM
seagirt Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
So...Friday, I'm going up to Massachusetts for the weekend for lighthousing. Plans are for Friday = driving up and Cape Cod, Saturday = Martha's Vineyard, Sunday = Nantucket and drive home.

I have the islands figured out, thanks to friends that live there. But I'm trying to figure out what to do on the Cape.

Now, I've already seen every light except for Monomoy, so there's no big issue of "ticking the box." But I'm considering two things to do alternatively for the afternoon.

1) Do the Provincetown Lights. Maybe get a 4x4 pass for the Range Rover to get to Race Point, though it's $50 and requires a lot of extra gear that I won't need otherwise. Also, take the little "ferry" to Long Point, and walk back to visit the two lights. Like this, since I haven't seen these lights up-close, but don't like the idea of spending $50 on the 4x4 pass...much as Rover + Beach = Fun!

2) Take a boat out to Monomoy. This gives the advantage of a light I've never seen, but I don't think I've planned ahead enough, or am guaranteed enough time. I'd love to get out there, though.

This is definitely NOT any sort of "once in a lifetime" trip...it's just a way to pass prom weekend. As I said, I have the islands pretty down...it's just, what to do on the Cape?

Any ideas?

Re: Cape Cod #65893 05/25/08 08:51 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Something to consider if going for the beach pass is your experience level driving in the sand. Sand at different locations can present all sorts of different issues so you want to be sure of what you are getting into. Doesn't have to be a tricked out vehicle to do it well, but driver experience is a big factor. Getting stuck can be very easy and extrication very expensive.

In the long run, you may do well to do the walk, remembering that it can be a real bear walking in the sand.

Sounds like you have a really nice weekend planned and I know I will be looking forward to hearing about your adventure.

Re: Cape Cod #65894 05/27/08 02:20 PM
R
rgurskey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
R
Ah, the NJLHS is going to Nantucket on Saturday and Martha's Vineyard on Sunday. Wave if you see the big purple bus.

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,477 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users