cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
USLS Lighthouse Tours #65812 06/11/02 12:20 AM
DocJ44 Offline OP
OP Offline
I got my spring edition of the USLS Bulletin in the mail today. I've always looked through the tours listed and thought to myself..."boy does those sound like fun"...but have never gone. I am more of a "do-it-myself" type of tourist and generally avoid formal tours, but it looks like these are well organized and often get you to lighthouses that are not readily accessible.

Has anyone here ever gone on one of these organized tours and can give some feedback or recommendations?

Doc John
Re: USLS Lighthouse Tours #65813 06/11/02 01:07 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Nancy goes on them on a pretty regular basis. Paul & Sue Brady did one last year, Kaiz won one for this fall and Derith won one for next year. Sunshine went "down under" with one.

As you note, the real value is the access they gain to lights not normally available to the public. You are also with a bunch of other dedicated lighthouse lovers!

Dave

Re: USLS Lighthouse Tours #65814 07/16/02 12:20 PM
DocJ44 Offline OP
OP Offline
I made the decision to go on the Cape Cod 10 tour next June. I sent the money for the deposit but got it back because it had filled up in between the printing of the bulletin and the arrival of my check. Then I got a call on Friday from Mr. Wheeler telling me that there were openings after all...so I sent my deposit back to him this morning. It looks like they hit almost every light in Massachusetts...not just Cape Cod. Three of us are going and I know it will be alot of fun. The problem is I now have to wait 11 months.

Doc John
Re: USLS Lighthouse Tours #65815 07/16/02 01:20 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Doc, you're going to a great area. I've been to most of them and probably would have done this one too if I hadn't. Anyone I've talked to who's gone, says these guys do a good job.
Bob

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: USLS Lighthouse Tours #65816 07/24/02 09:48 PM
anniemac Offline
I'm not usually much of a tour person, either, BUT...my husband and I have gone on 7 domestic trips with the USLHS (Maine, Cape Cod, New Jersey, Hudson River, Cape Cod, San Francisco, Puerto Rico) and 3 International trips (Greece, Portugal, Italy) since 1994...and are signed up for a couple more. One of the "biggies" with their trips is that you get to go in MOST of the lights - whether or not they are usually open to the public...(this is most true on the foreign trips- I don't think you'd ever find most of the LHs in some of the places we've been!) It's not 100%, but pretty close to it. We've climbed many (both towers of Navesink, Old and New Cape Henry, for example) that are not real easy to get to see - and you're with a bunch of folks that both like and respect lighthouses. You don't have to try to find the lighthouses either - the bus get to! While you don't always get as much time at each as you might like, it's a fun way to see lots...We climbed Currituck, Hatteras, and Bodie all on the same day (a bit tiring). The water-based trips get pretty close to the lights, slow down nicely so that BOTH sides of the boat get a chance for pretty good pictures (again, usually, but there are some exceptions). Our first trip was Maine - I think we saw close to 30 LH in about 4 days - lots were from a boat, so didn't get to climb or stop at very many of those. Nancy AND Bill were both on that trip. I think Bill "bribed" Wayne or the bus driver one day - he ran low on film and convinced Wayne & the driver that we "needed" a stop at a drug store. Bill let everyone who wanted to buy film buy what they wanted first, then he promptly bought ALL the remaining 35mm film the store had! A good time was had by all!
Nancy & Bill (& Harbour Lights) are big supporters of the USLHS - almost every trip we've ever been on has featured "give away's" courtesy of HL. Nancy has been on at least 3 other trips with us, too. While I still like finding them on my own, this is a nice change of pace - (note I did NOT say relaxing) - and a nice way to meet new LH friends! If you don't like to drive, don't want to go alone, or don't have spouse/significant other who wants to go on this kind of trip, I'd highly recommend them!
Anne

Re: USLS Lighthouse Tours #65817 08/02/02 12:49 AM
eskilady Offline
How does one sign up for this newsletter? The tours sound like a great deal of fun and I would love to go on one or two. Sheryl and I are going on a bus trip with Friends of Flying Santa in two weeks. We are going to be able to go into the lights on Cape Cod. We have already been to the outside of them but this time, we will get to go inside and climb them too!! I am looking forward to that. So the ones that you guys have been talking about would be great fun too!

Eskilady

Eskilady
Re: USLS Lighthouse Tours #65818 08/03/02 10:51 PM
anniemac Offline
here is a phone and address:
The U.S. Lighthouse Society
244 Kearney Street -- Fifth Floor
San Francisco, California 94108

Phone: (415) 362-7255

You can get a little more info at
http://www.maine.com/lights/uslhs.htm

they're NOT big into computer communication (NO email address for the Society), but they respond quite well to "snail mail" and phone calls.
Wayne Wheeler is the president
Dave Snyder is the office manager and historian, both are most helpful and knowledgeable!

Re: USLS Lighthouse Tours #65819 08/05/02 12:20 AM
Laurie Offline
John,

I envy you. Remember to tell us about the trip when you return.

Re: USLS Lighthouse Tours #65820 08/06/02 10:27 AM
smcclure Offline
These tours sound really interesting. Can anyone give me an idea of what the cost is for a typical tour and what is included? Are these typically one-day or multi-day tours? Thanks in advance. Scott.

Re: USLS Lighthouse Tours #65821 08/08/02 12:00 AM
DocJ44 Offline OP
OP Offline
Just back from my vacation and getting caught up.

Thanks so much Anne for your input. I knew the trips sounded great but having the opinion of some one like you who has taken these tours makes me feel even better about my decision.

Scott,
Here's a summary of the 2003 tours I got from the most recent newsletter to give you an idea:
Outer Banks, May 2 - 6; $825 single, $1350 double
San Francisco, May 16 - 20; $965 single, $1450 double
Cape Cod, June 5 - 10; $950 single, $1625 double
Pacific Northwest, Sept 26 - 30; $775 single, $1250 double
Maine, October 10 - 14; $925 single, $1425 double
British Columia & Alaska Cruise, May 9 - 18; cost not established but estimated at $2800 to $4200 per couple
New Zealand, March 5 - 22; $6100 per couple
Netherlands & Belgium, April 17 - 30; $5995 per couple

The domestic tours and Alaska Cruise include lodging, meals, admissions and transportation during the tour...but does not cover airfare to and from the location of tour origin / terminus.

The international tours apparently do include the airfare in the cost plus all the things included with the domestic.
Hope this helps,
John

Doc John
Re: USLS Lighthouse Tours #65822 08/08/02 12:48 AM
smcclure Offline
John, Thanks so much for the invaluable information. I really appreciate all the details. Scott

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,150 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users