Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Florida Lighthouse help #65472 07/09/03 10:53 AM
Cana Fan Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
I'm planning a family trip to Florida in September to see my brother near Tampa, and to coincide with the Anclote Key relighting. I plan on hitting a few lights along the way, and there in lies my questions to the Florida experts.

I plan on seeing Amelia Island, Mayport, St. Augustine and Ponce on the east coast, and Anclote, Sanibel, Boca Grande and possibly Egmont Key on the West side. It looks like most are no problem to get to, but I need help on Amelia Island and Mayport.

Where is the best place to view these lights. I know Amelia is closed, but I'd like to at least get a view of it. We're staying in the Jacksonville area one night, so we should be nearby. I've checked web sites and for Mayport, they talk about getting a good view from the ferry dock, but I can't seem to find where it is.

Any help? We're not leaving for a while, so there's plenty of time, but any planning help I can get, as well as tips for seeing the others listed would be greatly appriciated.

Mike

Re: Florida Lighthouse help #65473 07/10/03 12:55 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Mike,

The Mayport Light is on the NW side of Naval Station Mayport, next to their airfield. If you have MS Streets & Trips, the ferry terminal is in the search. You can also go to www.lighthousefriends.com and read up on these lights. A very helpful site for your lighthouse trip planning, as they add more lights and info.

If you don't have Streets & Trips, send me an email and I will send you an electronic map.

Dave

Re: Florida Lighthouse help #65474 07/22/03 12:19 AM
Stan Offline
Mike,
Amelia can be viewed from a distance (1/2 mile) from Atlantic Ave about 1/2 mile between downtown Fernandina and the beach. It's supposed to be opened up for public visitation later this year.

Mayport can be seen through the fence from the end of Palmer or Broad Street. Both streets are very close to the ferry landing. I've got a better deal for you: if you can tell me when you'll be in the Jacksonville area, I'll be glad to meet you somewhere near Mayport (at the Ferry Landing?) or anywhere else and get you aboard the Naval Station for an up close & personal view of the light.
Let me know.
Stan

Re: Florida Lighthouse help #65475 07/22/03 03:37 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Mike -

I've taken Stan up on that offer in the past and I can tell you he's the man!

Also on base is the St. John's River light.

P.S. He can't tell you why he can get you on the base, though. He'd have to kill you.

cool

Re: Florida Lighthouse help #65476 08/05/03 12:13 AM
N
Nana Offline
N
You may have enough time to see Jupiter and Hillsborough Inlet as well and then go across the state at the bottom....and maybe even sneak in a view of Cape Florida.
Derith

Re: Florida Lighthouse help #65477 08/05/03 11:01 AM
Cana Fan Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Thanks for the replies and your offer Stan. Was planning on going down for the Anclote relighting, but I'm far too busy at work to get off until mid October, so it looks like it will be then. I'll certainly try to hook up with you Stan, just a little hard sometimes nailing down a time when you're travelling with a 2 1/2 year old. But will try to get ahold of you closer to the visit. As for Jupiter and Hillsboro Derith, I was able to see them on my last business trip a few years ago, so I just need to fill the void north of them.

By the way, has anything changed as far as access to Cape Canaveral, or can you still only see it from a bus tour?

Mike

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,327 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users