cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Boca Grande and Sanibel #65200 11/01/07 02:44 PM
Lighthouse Joe Offline OP
OP Offline
Well, my Florida vacation is 2 weeks away. we have a side trip to Sanibel Island, we plan on visiting Gasparilla, Boca Grande Rear, and Sanibel Island lights.

I heard there was some damage during that big hurricane a while back. Does anyone have current info on the open status of these lights?

Lighthouse Joe

Re: Boca Grande and Sanibel #65201 11/01/07 07:23 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Joe,

I was at Gasparilla Rear Range and Boca Grande earlier this year and I saw no indication of any damage at the lighthouses themselves.

There was some work going on in the town on the island , though.

Boca Grande was open for business- and there were plenty of people there the day I was. The website says it's open 10-4 7 days a week from November to May.

http://www.barrierislandparkssociety.org/lighthouse.html

I didn't make it to Sanibel on that trip so I can't say what's up there.

Dennis

Re: Boca Grande and Sanibel #65202 11/02/07 01:48 PM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Damage to Boca Grande was fairly minor and should have already been fixed. Don't forget to stop and take a picture of Boca Grande Rear Range on the way in or out. You can get close, but there is a fence around the base.

Sanibel had the trees blowned down, but they were not native to Florida and the root system can tear up roads and plumbing...so it was a good thing. Plus you can see the lighthouse from a distance better than before. Sanibel is still not open to the public, but the future looks promising, one of your Florida Lighthouse Assocation members is working with a local group to get things going.

Let me know if you need more info.

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: Boca Grande and Sanibel #65203 11/02/07 08:37 PM
AZlightkeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
Sanibel is still not open to the public, but the future looks promising, one of your Florida Lighthouse Assocation members is working with a local group to get things going.
Keep me in mind if they need volunteers! cool

Jim

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,159 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users