Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Dutch Harbor Light looks great! #64886 06/12/08 07:20 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I moved my friend's boat from Warwick to Point Judith yesterday. Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera with me so there's no pictures to share. We saw Ponham Rocks, Conimicut Light, Warwick Light, Plum Beach Light, Dutch Harbor Light, and Point Judith Light.

What really caught my eye was Dutch Harbor Light. It is now very white and it looks like the exterior restoration of the lighthouse and the oil house has been completed. It looked just like new!

Rhode Island should be proud! Every light along that trip has now been restored and apparently are well cared for.

smile Bob

Re: Dutch Harbor Light looks great! #64887 06/14/08 10:51 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I'm surprised I'm the only one that commented about Dutch Harbor Light. No one else here has seen or heard of the restoration? I know it caught me by surprise when I went by.

confused Bob

Re: Dutch Harbor Light looks great! #64888 06/14/08 11:20 AM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Bob, Great news!!! I had not commented yet due to thinking you might go back and take a picture of Dutch Harbor.

cheers

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: Dutch Harbor Light looks great! #64889 06/14/08 12:52 PM
PFC Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Bob - Here is a quote from the website of the Dutch Island Lighthouse Society:

Quote:
NOVEMBER 2007: RESTORATION IS COMPLETE! At a little after 7:00 p.m. on November 17, 2007, the lighthouse was relighted as an aid to navigation. Restoration has included interior and exterior repairs to the brick lighthouse tower, guano removal, replacement of floors and metalwork, and the repair of interior stairs. Graffiti and rust have been covered over, and the tower now has a white-colored stucco finish. Thanks to all who have helped!
Click on the following link for the full story:

http://www.dutchislandlighthouse.org/

My best, smile
Paul Conlin
ALF

Help Save Our Lighthouses!

Become a part of the
American Lighthouse Foundation
P.O. Box 565
Rockland, Maine 04841

207 594-4174

www.lighthousefoundation.org
Re: Dutch Harbor Light looks great! #64890 06/15/08 09:58 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Quote:
I had not commented yet due to thinking you might go back and take a picture of Dutch Harbor.
The next time I will be traveling by Dutch Harbor will be when I'm headed out to Block Island later in the month. It's somewhat cost prohibitive to just take the boat down there for a few pictures. It's about $150 worth of gas for a round trip to the light and back to my marina. The ever-rising gas prices is certainly cutting down on boat traffic on the bay. I think most boaters are planning their trips with a destination in mind rather than just riding around.

Quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NOVEMBER 2007: RESTORATION IS COMPLETE! At a little after 7:00 p.m. on November 17, 2007, the lighthouse was relighted as an aid to navigation. Restoration has included interior and exterior repairs to the brick lighthouse tower, guano removal, replacement of floors and metalwork, and the repair of interior stairs. Graffiti and rust have been covered over, and the tower now has a white-colored stucco finish. Thanks to all who have helped!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Paul, ...Thanks so much for the gist and the links about Dutch Harbor Light. I didn't hear anything about the work at the light being accomplished. It sure looked great when I went by it last Wednesday.

smile Bob

Re: Dutch Harbor Light looks great! #64891 06/16/08 10:35 AM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob M:
[QUOTE]The next time I will be traveling by Dutch Harbor will be when I'm headed out to Block Island later in the month. It's somewhat cost prohibitive to just take the boat down there for a few pictures. It's about $150 worth of gas for a round trip to the light and back to my marina. The ever-rising gas prices is certainly cutting down on boat traffic on the bay. I think most boaters are planning their trips with a destination in mind rather than just riding around.
With the price of gas their are many people giving up their boat, or just not putting them in this year. I live near 3 marina's. I was amazed by the amount of boats still on dry land, usually by now these lots are empty. I've also noticed many driveways with boats still on trailers and a for sale sign on them.

Stan M
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: Dutch Harbor Light looks great! #64892 07/27/08 08:28 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Hi all! We just returned from another eight days at Block Island. As promised, I took some pics of Dutch Harbor Light while we were going by. Here's one of them:

The lighthouse looks great!

smile Bob

Re: Dutch Harbor Light looks great! #64893 07/27/08 01:18 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Great pic Bob !!!

Thanks for making the effort. cool

Stan M

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,180 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users